Playing characters that aren't your gender

pwhdavey

I was wondering how many people do this? I'm thinking of making a Vaverone Zare/Darth Alluress lookalike (I'm a guy). The thought of having a whole set of characters all the same gender seems boring. But then people will mistakenly believe I'm a female when doing groups and warzones etc. Do lots of people play both genders?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering how many people do this? I'm thinking of making a Vaverone Zare/Darth Alluress lookalike (I'm a guy). The thought of having a whole set of characters all the same gender seems boring. But then people will mistakenly believe I'm a female when doing groups and warzones etc. Do lots of people play both genders?

I am pretty sure it is common for people to do this honestly. If people "assume" you are a female it is obviously their mistake. Not that it really matters though, no one should care what gender a person really is on the other side of the screen as long as they work well as a team member in FPs , OPs and such.

It's pretty common that people have characters of both genders. And in my experience it's also very uncommon that someone assumes the player is of the same gender as the character. If anything people assume the player is male until proven wrong.

It's pretty common that people have characters of both genders. And in my experience it's also very uncommon that someone assumes the player is of the same gender as the character. If anything people assume the player is male until proven wrong.

^ This is actually a bad frame of mind because it can border on harassment with "Let me see your pic" or "Get on voice chat and prove you are a girl" comments which are harassment BUT, this is a very true and wise statement from someone who has probably been gaming for a long time.

I've mentioned this in another reply but I am a male and I have both both and female characters: 10 males and 6 females. My nephew plays also and has male and female characters, just not as many as I do. I have a friend who does not play this game, but when he plays any game with customizable characters, they are always females and have Japanese names.

The point is: It is not weird or uncommon to do this. I will also inform players who ask, that I am a male rolling a female toon. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
One of the rules of the internet: Everyone is male until porven female

Ha Ha Ha! I hadn't heard that one before. That should be on par with Godwin's Law about online political debates.

More seriously, I generally play male characters in RPGs or any game where there is a choice. I guess I'm not really a good RPer so the characters are generally similar to the way I look in real life. My Empire and Republic main, for example, are identical to each other and are equivalent classes (Inquisitor vs. Consular).

That being said, this is a game about experiencing many different stories and building a legacy, so I have female characters. The one I play the most is my operative and it was designed by a special lady friend. I continue to play it because... the Imperial Agent has one of the most kick-*** stories and I enjoy the significantly different gameplay style.

I'm pretty open about being a dude but I have to say, in all my years of MMOs and RPGing, I had never heard of ERPing until I started playing that character! I don't see anything wrong with continuing to play that character but it/she certainly gets a different reaction from other players than my male characters. I don't even dress her provocatively!

P.S. I think female players playing as guys is probably much more common, probably to avoid what I'm describing above.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

I'm fully aware of *most* people's process of "male unless otherwise", but as a FEMALE gamer myself, i play male characters here and there. Most of the time i don't mainly because I don't look the like of armor/clothing on male avatars in SWTOR (it's a matter of what would I wear if I was *this* character).

But yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it. Both male and female gamers play the opposite gender characters. At least a vast majority.

Incomming troll reply: Everyone is male till proven otherwise? How about no one is male or female until proven otherwise. More fair, yes?

As stated above, playing another gender can be a lot of fun, particular if you let your hair down and don't feel self-conscious, but rather enjoy that character's story. I play 4 males to my 8 females, and the worst thing that happened was that I was called a gay a couple-three times. Seeing that it happened once when I was playing a female toon, can't say it was all that related to my playing a male at the time. I think it went with my sharing how that suit of green armor really set out his skin color so well (hey someone's lamented that some of the early greens where better looking than the oranges!). :D

Another advantage is the voicing, since I find some of the male voices for the classes more pleasant to me than the female ones.

As a female player I also try to fight for gender equality by putting the extrovert outfits on the male toons (though I do admit that I can never single-handedly manage to balance all the slave girls out there). Seeing that the generosity of the endowment above the waistline on the female toons is compensate by the lack of thereof below the belt on the males, I stick with what they've got, the abs!

Edited by DomiSotto

Most of my characters are male but My Main (Republic Vanguard) and my Highest imp Alt (Operative) are both female and Im a male.

It really depends on what Im feeling when I made the character.

I love the Female Vanguard but I could never imagine my Male Guardian (2nd most played alt) being a female.

My member notes make it clear (in the guild) that Im a male (as I have my first name listed my main and refer to my alts as my name's alt)

I also dress everyone based off what makes sense for them to be wearing so my Vanguard is geared in heavy Republic infantry Armor.

Edited by Galdos
adding post

Incomming troll reply: Everyone is male till proven otherwise? How about no one is male or female until proven otherwise. More fair, yes?

That would be fair, but not the typical gamer's experience. This might be changing with all you young' folks, but not being too old myself I can tell you it was *very* difficult to find a female gamer when I was in my 18-24 period.

- Arcada

I... tend to imagine a person based on their avatar or character build. You can look entirely different, but if this is the only way I know you from, that's how I'll imagine you. You can have a unicorn avatar and I'll just imagine you're a unicorn.

I If anything people assume the player is male until proven wrong.

Not everyone. I assume people playing their character is their gender unless I know otherwise. Maybe that is strange but I rather believe that a person is that gender than assume they are a different gender without having the information to back it up.

That said I'm a female gamer who just plays her gender as it is most comfortable to me and the toons I make I normally play with my boyfriend.

I know as a female gamer I only play my gender as playing the opposite gender for me feels weird.

On the comment that you assume all players are male I kind of think we shouldn't do that. I figure the person that is playing their gender. Using the internet reason on this I think is strange. I may be trusting but I rather be wrong considering why would you assume everyone is a male when there are ladies playing the game as well.

It is like you are saying ladies don't play games and to me that is very wrong. There shouldn't be a reason we assume everyone is a male unless you are trying to be something other than a friend and newsflash most women are not going to fall for your cheesy lines.

I am not saying you can't meet someone online, I did. I met my real life boyfriend and he's a sweetheart but the one thing he didn't do is give me stupid lines I can see right through. We became friends first.

Maybe we should assume the only ones that play the games are females and that males don't play because that is what you are saying when you assume the other.

Okay my comment is through.

I know as a female gamer I only play my gender as playing the opposite gender for me feels weird.

On the comment that you assume all players are male I kind of think we shouldn't do that. I figure the person that is playing their gender. Using the internet reason on this I think is strange. I may be trusting but I rather be wrong considering why would you assume everyone is a male when there are ladies playing the game as well.

It is like you are saying ladies don't play games and to me that is very wrong. There shouldn't be a reason we assume everyone is a male unless you are trying to be something other than a friend and newsflash most women are not going to fall for your cheesy lines.

I am not saying you can't meet someone online, I did. I met my real life boyfriend and he's a sweetheart but the one thing he didn't do is give me stupid lines I can see right through. We became friends first.

Maybe we should assume the only ones that play the games are females and that males don't play because that is what you are saying when you assume the other.

Okay my comment is through.

It's a remnant of the dark ages of MMO gaming.

These days there's an astonishing number of female MMO gamers.

My Assassin Sentinel Trooper Scoundrel are all Female and im a dude and not once has anyone called me a woman.

It very common especially in a game like this where story matters, some classes you may prefer the VO of the other gender or the story may fit more.

maybe it because im on a Rp server but i always address a player i meet by the gender of the character they are playing, and so far only one or two have actually told me their not the same gender.

Weather that means the girl character is a girl and vice versa or that they dont care cause you know Rp so they rp as one i do not know.

Edited by Kaisernick

It's a remnant of the dark ages of MMO gaming.

These days there's an astonishing number of female MMO gamers.

This bothers me. Just because I grew up in the dark ages of gaming and it would have been nice to have interacted with a few women that shared my interests ;).

Instead, I had to go and date and stuff and smile through inane chatter and pretend some band or movie was important.

So that doesn't happen with the next generation of youngin's? :eek:

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

This pops up every couple of weeks. Why do you wonder why ?;)

Do you think only women should play Tomb Raider and only men Jack Kaine ?:)

To copy a funny answer from another forum:

"If i have to look at the back of my charakter the whole time - it damn well should be a pretty one!" :D

Most of my main characters are female, and I have an alt of each class with the opposite sex (With the exception of a male BH... just need to find a good style). I remember being rather anxious when I created my first female character, back on FFXI in 2004. It certainly seemed to be rather taboo to play a character unlike your own gender then. I was talked into it by a friend who had always played as female characters, although the only reason he did it was so he could 'act' like a woman so people would treat him differently... I should note that I do not play a female character so people treat me differently or anything like that. I detest when players do that.

It was a true thing back then, and perhaps still now, that some players treated you differently if they thought you were a woman. They seemed to be more helpful and kinder perhaps. On the flip side, if they ask you if you are a RL woman and you say no, then more often or not i was treated to a barrage of attacks comprised mostly of homophobic slurs. Am I the only one who does not really care what another players RL gender is?

Personally speaking, I can never understand how playing a feamle character should be seen as 'weird' or something like that. I mean, how is it considered fine as a man to play as a big red male alien who can go round killing everyone with lightening from there hands, but when a man plays as a big red female who can go round killing everyone with lightening from there hands, it suddenly becomes something that is braking reality and going to far?

Anyway, there are many reasons why I mostly play female characters more often then male. I like action heroines like Buffy, more then typical male heroes such as James Bond, and despite the improvements in recent years we still need more of them. There usually seems to be more variation when it comes to player customization (Hair and cosmetic gear, for example). With SWTOR in particular, I think most of the female V/O's are much better then the men, but that is just my personal opinion. OK, I will also admit that I do not exactly mind seeing my feamle characters rather scantly clad... although to be fair, I also do not mind seeing my male characters showing of their muscles either! :i_biggrin:

I think everyone should be given the choice to play the game how they want. No one should be judged for whatever race or gender they choose to play. Nor should they be judged by what type of gear they like to ware, either.

Edited by Cyberwoman