Why I, a middle-aged male gamer, need this MMO.

Hatonastick

When you are male and young you enjoy running about shooting the hell out of things and blowing crap up in the latest FPS, but as you get older you find yourself slowing down and wanting a bit more out of your games so you get into MMO’s – next thing you know you are collecting 20 flowers for Twinkles the fairy so she can hold her tea party for all her happy-time friends and wondering where it all went wrong.

However SWTOR saves me from yet-another-generic-happy-time-fantasy-game and allows me to rediscover my youth (which of course is really important when you hit your 40's as a male -- especially when you can't afford a sports car) and relive those times of fast guns and loose grenades; all while playing a game my aging reflexes(*) can handle. :D

* Yeah ok, I might still regularly kick behind in an online action PvP game, but my reflexes are slowing down. Honest.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So true !

As a new 50 year old it is more fun in an MMO World, yet...

TOR has dropped the ball and left me UN happy to say the least.

It is fun but who whats to re -eoll every class on dead servers.... Not I.

So true !

Re-roll on a non empty server?

Come to the Swiftshire, it's a very good server. And what I just typed is what everyone else should be doing as well. Instead of writing back to the hate posts that everyone is making about server issues, the one who are on a healthy server should be opening their arms and saying, "Come on in!!!"

Edited by Skidrowbro

woot, I just love star wars and bioware games more then...mmos in general. I need this mmo because the story allows me to have some really intersting avatars. We need more dialogue choices like true bioware games, not this dumbed down crap for people who can stand to listen to people talk.

Heya Mr.OP, props for gaming past 40.....

And don't give me that 'reflexes are slowing' stuff......Mental acuity can more then make up for twitch reflexes.

Im 42 and kick the crap out of these kids.....Its epic...........

By gaming, your actually HELPING your hand/eye coord as well.....Everythings good mate!

And don't give me that 'reflexes are slowing' stuff......Mental acuity can more then make up for twitch reflexes.

By gaming, your actually HELPING your hand/eye coord as well.....Everythings good mate!

It might even help us fight off Alzheimer's....

....Wait what was I talking about?

Fellow old head here. You guys check out The Secret World yet? No fairies and they got plenty of guns.

The Secret World was interesting until they removed the aiming aspect from the game, and reverted back to tab targetting... It's not a game that should have tab targetting, since it was originally pulling away from the traditional MMO

Isn't middle-aged around your late 30's... maybe early 40s? Unless you're planning on 100 :rolleyes:

Pfft. Jack Lalane swam the San Francisco Bay while pulling a boat with a thousand pounds of weight in it, all the while his hands were tied behind his back just to celebrate his 65th birthday. He died last year at 95.

Fellow old head here. You guys check out The Secret World yet? No fairies and they got plenty of guns.

I wouldn't give Funcom one more single penny, sir.

Having played Age of Conan for almost half a decade, I can honestly say that they make BW look like Jesus. That game is bound to be another title with a stripped-down brown atmosphere, gorgeous graphics, and absolutely zero endgame appeal... and that wouldn't be a problem, except that I know Failcom won't develop it beyond the bare minimum post-launch. That company is dead to me. Worst customer service in the industry.

TERA looks fairly good, but it's quite jumpy. I'm actually enjoying the Amanita Design indy games these days. And this one of course, although I have far greater resilience to disappointment in MMOs than most folks.

Edited by Blistrich

I too am tired of the generic fantasy mmo's. I remember playing Quake 3 arena, I owned! Tried an FPS last year for the first time in years and I had a hard time lining up the shot. WTH! I'm loosing my touch. Star Wars has always been my favorite, but I knew there were going to be what seems like endless bugs. KOTOR was absolutely littered with bugs. It seems like something Bioware can not get better at fixing or avoiding.

So true !

You got free 30 days. Use it to level a new toon on a new server.

40 something gamer here. I'm a female and was young once, enjoying shooting the hell out of things and blowing crap up in the latest FPS.

Loved your post Hatonastick. :)

I can't afford the sports car either :(

Not sure if this game is fulfilling any rolls though for me, be it hardcore or fluff factor, or anything in between. It just seems to be... lacking.

Depends on the game. In an MMO with no real "twitch" factor, sure. In a more tactical FPS like Battlefield 3, probably. In the latest Unreal style twitchfest? Not a chance.

yea agree with you there. But i cant stand to kill one more dragon i killed them in all kinds of colors and are tired of that. (Lets hope SWTOR dont bring in dragons)

Depends on the game. In an MMO with no real "twitch" factor, sure. In a more tactical FPS like Battlefield 3, probably. In the latest Unreal style twitchfest? Not a chance.

hehe, no real "twitch" factor in an MMO. Ever try healing in a raid? o.O

Great thread!!!

I'm in my 30's, and this is my first MMO. First off, I love Star Wars. The lore, philosophy, characters, just the whole darn thing in general. I've always been an RPG type of guy but I find myself getting super competitive when it comes to PvP and I'm loving it. I don't get all the haters all over this forum, you know? I'm 100 percent happy with my game. It is honestly really cheap entertainment at 50 cents a day. I can come home from work or college and get lost in the Star Wars universe for a few hours a night! What is better than that right now? Not much.

Any way, I just saw the post and had to reply.

Later guys and gals - - - - have fun!

I wont tell you how old I am but I have children the OPs age and I agree with him. My days of competing for highest DPS and being uber raider are over. I have RA and my hands are severely deformed from it among other ailments. Games like this allow me to just leisurely play and have fun. LOVE SWTOR.

M

Re-roll on a non empty server?

Come to the Swiftshire, it's a very good server. And what I just typed is what everyone else should be doing as well. Instead of writing back to the hate posts that everyone is making about server issues, the one who are on a healthy server should be opening their arms and saying, "Come on in!!!"

There is a legacy, and there is a lot of shared benefits from having more than one character on a server. Why should i sacrifice a lot of time and effort and segregate the benefits of that for a populated server which still has the potential to change due to other unknown circumstances.

Can you guarantee that a server a person rerolls to is going to be populated? Realistically no one can, and therefore the best solution is to give people a chance to have character transfers even if they must pay for them as an option from the beginning.

By making it an option from the beginning as a pay option it would have helped a lot to make sure people who transfer confirm their decision with a costly transaction and also helping with the original problem of how population greatly affects the quality experience of this game.

Edited by VegaPhone