Why are Ships and Guildships so pointless!!!

Delani

Why not make space exploration instance also. I know this is an instance based game but what if when we leave a planet, fleet, etc we instance into space. which gives an actual purpose to our ships and guildships. It could work similar to starfighter in the game but we just have different space instances.

For the most part personal ships are mainly pointless once you have finished class story. Still needed tho until then. Guild ship does have it usage for conquest, guild perks which I know are new but BW are trying to make guild ship more useful even if I personally think more could be done for smaller guilds even if that means having more than one type of guild ship.

As above poster has said, you need to flesh out you idea more. As at present other than to say you are unhappy with how ships are now, it does not really say a lot.

The class ships used to play a much bigger role in SWTOR in general. Nowadays they're just an empty shell (Literally) of what they used to be, real shame. Zakuul removed the Companions and some felt they required "Super Cliff Hanger, Adrenaline Overload, Grand Finale" action constantly so the "Any planet to Any Planet Instantly" function was added. All these changes has left the ships a shadow of what they once were.

I'd love to see some group pve content with class ships. But it would need a revamp so that ships could fulfill the three trinity roles. Missions similar to flashpoints only in space using class ships with a compliment of abilities based on role would be like a whole new game.

The class ships used to play a much bigger role in SWTOR in general. Nowadays they're just an empty shell (Literally) of what they used to be, real shame. Zakuul removed the Companions and some felt they required "Super Cliff Hanger, Adrenaline Overload, Grand Finale" action constantly so the "Any planet to Any Planet Instantly" function was added. All these changes has left the ships a shadow of what they once were.

Yea they need a purpose, I dont care what it is.

Ok, but to do what exactly?

I think you need to flesh out some more details so that the devs understand what you’re asking for.

Maybe place exploration, you have to use your ship to travel to planets or the fleet and when you get close enough you instance into the place. Something, idk but whats the point of having a ship

I'd love to see some group pve content with class ships. But it would need a revamp so that ships could fulfill the three trinity roles. Missions similar to flashpoints only in space using class ships with a compliment of abilities based on role would be like a whole new game.

See, i didnt even think of pve missions with ships, thats dope

Personal ships are no longer required due to alternate means of travel, however they remain as useful now as. They have ever been.

Guild ships remain quite useful, for both fast travel via summons, and as gathering places. In fact if more guildmssters got over their need to create art, they could be more useful.

My main stronghold, Nar, the opening room, is the utility room, with all the venders, mod table, mail, vaults, all the actually useful stuff, in one room. The rest of Nar, is the trophy rooms.

I am just saying, if my guild stronghold and ship has a utility room, I’d expect more of us guildies would be there more often using it as our personal base of ops, instead of just for the weekly guild meeting. But that’s artsy guildmasters, not BioWare.

Personal ships are no longer required due to alternate means of travel, however they remain as useful now as. They have ever been.

Guild ships remain quite useful, for both fast travel via summons, and as gathering places. In fact if more guildmssters got over their need to create art, they could be more useful.

My main stronghold, Nar, the opening room, is the utility room, with all the venders, mod table, mail, vaults, all the actually useful stuff, in one room. The rest of Nar, is the trophy rooms.

I am just saying, if my guild stronghold and ship has a utility room, I’d expect more of us guildies would be there more often using it as our personal base of ops, instead of just for the weekly guild meeting. But that’s artsy guildmasters, not BioWare.

Im still new to the PC gaming world, as of four years ago I bought my very first gaming PC because I was finally able to afford one and ever since then I have been hooked. But during my journey, I have learned that people use gaming as a social hub, an escape, and sometimes a way to form communities. When you mentioned that your guild has weekly meetings that reminded me of being in college preparing for a group project or working in the office discussing how we were going to meet a quota. I dont think a lot of game developers realize exactly how important gaming has become in some peoples everyday life which shows in a games success or failure. Implementing systems/game functions that make the game more community based is almost as important as releasing content.

Imagine if you and your guildmates were able to fly to your guildship for your meeting instead of just instancing in, that would make group meetings much more interesting and possibly fun. Also what if you could control your guildship in a space instance and use it go to remote locations or do even "cooler or spontaneous" things. This type of mechanic adds so much more to the game than people realize because of the psycholical factors that go into gaming.

Everyone saying personal ships are useless have obviously never been summoned somewhere. When you get summoned to that world boss kill but suddenly find you CAN'T be summoned due to no ship--you'll wish you did your story quest and gotten one.

I think the personal starships are still a good addition to the game, they are vital for the class story as you use them to travel around and also many missions trigger in the dock when you exit your ship etc. All the missions are available in your personal starshipt terminal, so the Devs still force people to keep revisiting your ship. They tried to make it emotional in KOTFE too, when they gave you back your ship (imagine, you had to walk all this time). Also dont forget the Space Missions, which are very cool and still fun!

Guildships on the otherhand help you out on a dialy basis. You need them to conquer, summon groups etc. Now, with the improved conquest and the guild perks they are more important then ever!

i know what you mean that even though they have so much to offer us, you can really take them to fly around, its all limited and they seem to do all the action by standing still. Thats definitely a limitation of the game engine. People imagined guild wars where you would be launching starfighters from your guildship and attack the other guildship etc. This would be nice, like in the old Battlefront, but sadly its not possible in this game.

I have a suggestion about how guildships could work for pve/pvp purposes, but it would require alot of work on bw/ea's side ( if they where willing to do it )

1: Guildships could be used to "push" a contending guild back in cq placing through spacebattles ( the winning ship would "steal" a certain amounts of cq points, thus giving the oppertunity for more guilds to co-op against the leading guild and thus share the won points between them ) resulting in the leading guild maybe getting knocked a place down on the list. alliances would be made and broken all over the place !!! ( this would be setup through an alarm system where the attacked guild would then get a high alert status having to break off whatever they are doing and be called into action for the battle ahead to take actions against the strikes. ) IT'S A TRAP !!

Ofcourse some wrinkles would need to be sorted out with a system like this and remember this is just a rough outlining of my suggestion.

2: For pve we could use guildships for ops and such to fight through a planets defensive system ( spacestations, minefields and fighters and the likes) before venturing onto the planet itself ( this could "hurt" the guildships thus needing resources to repair them again before the next naval space combat started. ( having your guildship destroyed would thus require a considerable amount of resources to repair them again. This would also make use of alot of old crafting mats again and make some of the crafting skills much more usefull not to speak of the guild having to work abit more together for this to work. )

playerships could also enter these battles under the same condition as guildships with mats needed to repair them etc. suddenly "fleets" would be an actual thing and piracy and spacebattles and escaping them etc etc etc.

things like this would make the game alot more interesting for every one playing in guilds and make alot of old stuff usefull again plus introducing new stuff into the game. And like i said earlyer, alot of work would have to be done to get things like this to work but imo it would be awsome if it could happen :D

Edited by Esron

I think the personal starships are still a good addition to the game, they are vital for the class story as you use them to travel around and also many missions trigger in the dock when you exit your ship etc. All the missions are available in your personal starshipt terminal, so the Devs still force people to keep revisiting your ship. They tried to make it emotional in KOTFE too, when they gave you back your ship (imagine, you had to walk all this time). Also dont forget the Space Missions, which are very cool and still fun!

Guildships on the otherhand help you out on a dialy basis. You need them to conquer, summon groups etc. Now, with the improved conquest and the guild perks they are more important then ever!

i know what you mean that even though they have so much to offer us, you can really take them to fly around, its all limited and they seem to do all the action by standing still. Thats definitely a limitation of the game engine. People imagined guild wars where you would be launching starfighters from your guildship and attack the other guildship etc. This would be nice, like in the old Battlefront, but sadly its not possible in this game.

Yes like the old battlefront, exactly

I have a suggestion about how guildships could work for pve/pvp purposes, but it would require alot of work on bw/ea's side ( if they where willing to do it )

1: Guildships could be used to "push" a contending guild back in cq placing through spacebattles ( the winning ship would "steal" a certain amounts of cq points, thus giving the oppertunity for more guilds to co-op against the leading guild and thus share the won points between them ) resulting in the leading guild maybe getting knocked a place down on the list. alliances would be made and broken all over the place !!! ( this would be setup through an alarm system where the attacked guild would then get a high alert status having to break off whatever they are doing and be called into action for the battle ahead to take actions against the strikes. ) IT'S A TRAP !!

Ofcourse some wrinkles would need to be sorted out with a system like this and remember this is just a rough outlining of my suggestion.

2: For pve we could use guildships for ops and such to fight through a planets defensive system ( spacestations, minefields and fighters and the likes) before venturing onto the planet itself ( this could "hurt" the guildships thus needing resources to repair them again before the next naval space combat started. ( having your guildship destroyed would thus require a considerable amount of resources to repair them again. This would also make use of alot of old crafting mats again and make some of the crafting skills much more usefull not to speak of the guild having to work abit more together for this to work. )

playerships could also enter these battles under the same condition as guildships with mats needed to repair them etc. suddenly "fleets" would be an actual thing and piracy and spacebattles and escaping them etc etc etc.

things like this would make the game alot more interesting for every one playing in guilds and make alot of old stuff usefull again plus introducing new stuff into the game. And like i said earlyer, alot of work would have to be done to get things like this to work but imo it would be awsome if it could happen :D

This would make guilds so much more important and fun.

:) I still use my class ship(s), often. BW has made fundamental changes in the game that has diminished them substantially though often as a side effect/ consequence. Some of the changes have lead to players not even having their own ship (Major Fail due to short sighted Zakuul envy). The ships do seem like a cold lonely place nowdays without our Comps so I would imagine some actually *Avoid using those because of their impression and using the "Super Fast *Adrenaline Faster Now" button (Another newer facet with detrimental side effects). Think of "Star Wars" without any ships; not the movies I've seen. The Class ships Do still provide but not like before, another detriment to the games Story Direction.

I also thought of the adding Guild Ships to the Planet Conquests; "Uber Star Wars" :). This would actually be the first stage of the conquest, moving both guild ships into the same orbit. Once that happens the fighters and GSF would start as the two capitol ships go Broadside with periodic blasts back and forth (energy for Guild ship weapons and shields come from the guild activity prior to the battle) during this the player fighters are swarming around shooting (Pew pew pew) at the other guilds fighters and attacking the enemies Guild Ships shield generators and turrets. The Winner there gets a bonus on the land combat and "Air Strike, 1 Walker" support. I realize this is well beyond SWTORs capabilities, but it would be Epic :) Would make me join a guild (finally) for sure.

:) I still use my class ship(s), often. BW has made fundamental changes in the game that has diminished them substantially though often as a side effect/ consequence. Some of the changes have lead to players not even having their own ship (Major Fail due to short sighted Zakuul envy). The ships do seem like a cold lonely place nowdays without our Comps so I would imagine some actually *Avoid using those because of their impression and using the "Super Fast *Adrenaline Faster Now" button (Another newer facet with detrimental side effects). Think of "Star Wars" without any ships; not the movies I've seen. The Class ships Do still provide but not like before, another detriment to the games Story Direction.

I also thought of the adding Guild Ships to the Planet Conquests; "Uber Star Wars" :). This would actually be the first stage of the conquest, moving both guild ships into the same orbit. Once that happens the fighters and GSF would start as the two capitol ships go Broadside with periodic blasts back and forth (energy for Guild ship weapons and shields come from the guild activity prior to the battle) during this the player fighters are swarming around shooting (Pew pew pew) at the other guilds fighters and attacking the enemies Guild Ships shield generators and turrets. The Winner there gets a bonus on the land combat and "Air Strike, 1 Walker" support. I realize this is well beyond SWTORs capabilities, but it would be Epic :) Would make me join a guild (finally) for sure.

Why is it beyond SWTORS capabilites when Galactic Star Fighter already exist? The importance of ships in a star wars universe is everything. This Quality of Life improvement adds so much more to the game its insane. It also makes conquest and guilds more fun.

Edited by Delani

Why is it beyond SWTORS capabilites when Galactic Star Fighter already exist? The importance of ships in a star wars universe is everything. This Quality of Life improvement adds so much more to the game its insane. It also makes conquest and guilds more fun.

:) This would be great. Maybe not *Impossible...but a lot more work outside of what they would normally do outside of Next Story, Next StrongHold, Next FlashPoint, Operation, Cartel Market.

... I personally think more could be done for smaller guilds even if that means having more than one type of guild ship...

THAT would have been an excellent solution to the "big guilds win the WORLD" dilemma... smaller guild ships with cheaper add-ons that can fit the same kind of guild bonuses but smaller, at a smaller price. Maybe even a tiered system for things like conquest... not just the size of the planet, but the size of the guild itself, so the "competition" is between closer competitors.

Don't know if there's any way they could pull this off now...

The smaller guilds should have the other two ships (Thranta and Terminus). Guild ships represent the culmination of the guilds effort, accomplishments, ability to keep up numbers and their pride in being a guild, large meetings and other benefits. There are quite a few disabilities towards the smaller guilds nowdays especially in their competition with the Mega Guilds. There are no "Easy Answers" in that, but there are ways to make the smaller/ newer guilds more enjoyable already "In Game". There are several reasons to pick a smaller guild over the mega guilds anyhow so even having one of the Giants isn't wanted.

The smaller guilds should have the other two ships (Thranta and Terminus). Guild ships represent the culmination of the guilds effort, accomplishments, ability to keep up numbers and their pride in being a guild, large meetings and other benefits. There are quite a few disabilities towards the smaller guilds nowdays especially in their competition with the Mega Guilds. There are no "Easy Answers" in that, but there are ways to make the smaller/ newer guilds more enjoyable already "In Game". There are several reasons to pick a smaller guild over the mega guilds anyhow so even having one of the Giants isn't wanted.

It would create a game within the game

So I imagined actually having to fly to a guild ship, and the first thing that occurred to me was "Sorry I'm late, I didn't think it would take 10 minutes to fast travel to the guild ship". This, in a game where the most common dialog between players in a FP is "Spacebar". That'll go over like a lead balloon.

My personal ship is still useful, even for toons that have done, or started KotFE/ET. There's a lot less nonsense in the chat, to start off with, not to mention full access to Legacy and Personal storage. I think I used to have a guild bay in there too, but I don't remember now, and I'm not in a guild. I can park there, send comps out for gathering missions, and use the PvE space missions to finance it. At one point, early in my time here, one of my toons spent too much money, and back then, you had to pay for taxis, and your skills, so I spent a few days doing nothing but space missions. That functionality, although not needed by me today, Legacy storage can store credits too, is still there.

So my ships are a long way from useless, and I really don't think that the next new class should be "Class Ship" either.

There's no reason to get rid of positive game advancements (instant transport to different planets should have always been a thing).

However, I think players have a lot of affection for their class ships. So why not make them places you can decorate? Wouldn't it be cool to add the things you like, the companions you want, etc.? Maybe there are coding problems...

There's no reason to get rid of positive game advancements (instant transport to different planets should have always been a thing).

However, I think players have a lot of affection for their class ships. So why not make them places you can decorate? Wouldn't it be cool to add the things you like, the companions you want, etc.? Maybe there are coding problems...

In the star wars universe ships are always iconic and they are literally in every movie. Your personal ship should have more purpose. Designing them would be a good step forward. But why are their even seats in our personal ships? LOL