Alterac Vally in SWTOR???

Kerraii

Would you , could you?

So there is talk of something and discussion on this actually becoming a reality in a future patch.

Now those of us that have played WoW do understand the good and the bad of AV.

To me the good vastly out weighs the bad.

To make a SWTOR AV work the map has to be designed in a way that does not give a single advantage to either side in their rush to defeating the end Boss and victory. End Bosses must have equal mechanics as to not pose an advantage, Mini bosses along the way must be the same in design mechanics other then faction style of attacks. Mini outposts must be designed very close to the same style. caves or such must be near enough yet different looking so as to not be unbalanced.

To me a perfect "zone" would be a yet to be discovered planet where both side have an interest in eliminating each other foothold Outpost to gain , let's say "crystals" or "minerals" for lack of a better item

Lets look at Ilum and the PvEPvP quest areas. The respective outposts where the quests for Ilum are given.

If you remove the PvP "open world" section of zerg vs zerg from the planet zone, you have an "Alterac Vally " type setting. Add in smaller outposts then ones present and you now have more objectives to take control of and give buffs to your side.

There are twists and turns in the landscape and such that the entire area becomes a better Open World/instanced warzone for actual fun and stratagy.

In the Ilum main outposts you have the "Boss" commander and such...

Defeating them would give the win.

This I hate to say would be a good direction to head towards for "Instanced" pvp, even if WoW was the first to create such a thing.

No one says you can not copy anothers ideas, you just cant infringe on copywrites.

With BW they have the multi instances of warzones already implemented so queue, while always an issue would be minimal.

Cross server queue would reduce this by a great margin. Faction inbalance IS an issue and there is nothing that will correct that other then "Pretty" species being implemented for Republic more so then Empire....asap.

I would love an AV style map but its not going to happen anytime soon. The engine at this point is terrible. My computer is on the high end and I dont get more than 27fps in warzones. When I turn everything down to low I still get 27fps max so there scaling system is terrible and thats 8v8. Illum is unplayable during large battles.

I would love an AV style map but its not going to happen anytime soon. The engine at this point is terrible. My computer is on the high end and I dont get more than 27fps in warzones. When I turn everything down to low I still get 27fps max so there scaling system is terrible and thats 8v8. Illum is unplayable during large battles.

It's funny because the performance issues seem to not be all about system quality etc. Some people playing on mid priced systems have little or no performance issues, and some people with very high end systems are having trouble. I wonder why this is?

performance issues are with the UI only.

When you understand that it is all the UI's fault you can understand the bad performace from High end comps, because they have the power to enhance the UI issue.

Simple test for you to experience.

Take your character and just run forward, or backwards...just move around. Now press your inventory open button.

That delay is what you experience in the entire game, not just the PvP part.

That has to do with the UI, not graphics.

When you are in Ilum and doing your zerg PvP, the issues revolves around the UI , chat window, and pop up information on the results of who is where and what has occured.

If YOU could remove all that crap useless pop up wording on the screen and put it into a Chat tab that would reduce the Lag and performance issues by 75% or more.

Turning down lighting effects will reduce the lag and performance for a good 10% also.

High end computers enhance the lighting, where as low end comps do not have the power to enhance, they just do what they can.

It would be good but considering how terrible the game becomes as soon as there's 40 or so players in one place i think they should fix their ****** engine/code first.

Seriously, even high end pcs that run better games on ultra settings struggle with 10 fps here in some situations, it's a joke.

eh, no way this game could successfully run a 40v40 warzone like alterac valley.

Don't get me wrong, I loved AV and would love to be able to play similar on SWTOR, but the Hero engine just can't do it.

I think they can do 40 vs 40, but anything higher might be a huge task

So looking forward to this now that I actually figured out all the issues with playing the game successfully with pretty solid FPS on my janky old comp on high. I put a lot of work into it, including upgrading my video card, drivers, etc... and it paid off. If only more of the people whining would expend the effort and not expect a just put the disc in the console and it plays fine experience these forums would be so much better.

They've already hinted at the new WZ in 1.2 being a resource based PvP like Alterac Valley in interviews. Tell me to link it? i cant because I watch a lots per day, but they absolutely did and some other people who've watched the same interview probably knows what im talking bout.

Also if you look at the concept art there is towards and crap.

I would love an AV style warzone. If the developers go that route, can I make some suggestions?

Don't make the bonuses obselete. If you can turn in resources that would put an elite NPC team of commandos at your disposal, don't let them turn in to something players don't want because "It takes too long" or "it's not worth it since they die too fast." Even a feature that could add additional laser cannons to a bunker to make it that much harder to capture would eventually be ignored if it was not a deterrant. "They can build them. But they'll waste time doing so because I can /dance while the cannons shoot me for three damage."

If it is destroyed, it is gone. But if it is damaged, you can repair it! So we have four NPCs with blaster rifles standing in the bunker. These NPCs have increased range and being shot by one of these guards at maximum range stuns you for three seconds. Medium range or closer, no stun but it's no irritating itch to be shot by one either. The enemy attacks the bunker, kills the NPCs, and damages the bunker to 40% of it's normal health before being driven off. But if you gather, say, ten pieces of scrap metal, you could restore five hundred health to the bunker. If you and the team restore the bunker back to full health, the NPCs come back. But if the enemy reduces the bunker to zero health, it explodes and is lost. Or maybe an automated droid begins to repair (albiet slowly) once damage is detected. But if someone blasts the droid, you will need to gather more scrap metal for an NPC to build another. Unless they killed the NPC too. Then he's dead and doesn't do much.

I don't think the HERO engine is capable. Could you imagine Horde side turtling Galv and stacking Galv / IBGY ? HERO engine would slow to a crawl trying to process 40 on 40 battles...

HERO engine would probably cause the server to crash.

The BG I liked the most in WoW was the one where you had a mill, a farm, a mine, a stable, etc and you had to take them and hold them until the time ran out. If they could come up with something like that one I would be very happy indeed, oh and please do away with the stupid idiotic random loot bags! Instead just give us tokens and let us buy what we want from a vendor....

eh, no way this game could successfully run a 40v40 warzone like alterac valley.

Don't get me wrong, I loved AV and would love to be able to play similar on SWTOR, but the Hero engine just can't do it.

I don't think the HERO engine is capable. Could you imagine Horde side turtling Galv and stacking Galv / IBGY ? HERO engine would slow to a crawl trying to process 40 on 40 battles...

HERO engine would probably cause the server to crash.

Preposterous! Are you guys saying that a 2011/2012 game can't handle a warzone that was successfully implemented by another game in 2005?