Under the Hood with SWTOR

DanielSteed

• Dev Post

Hello everyone!

Today we’re doing a deep dive behind the Preview Window and another system involving dynamic placeable objects. These topics seemed like a good opportunity to pull back the curtain and explain why we’ve dedicated a good portion of a game update to them. Read on to discover where we could improve, what changed, and what it means for the future. Let us know your thoughts! https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20190319

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These improvements look really great!

One question - do the changes to Dynamic objects mean you'll be able (assuming there's development time) to go back through existing areas and smooth out some of the frustrations there? Mostly, I'm thinking of elevators we have to wait for vs. elevators that just teleport us to the next floor, but I'm guessing these changes might offer options for optimizing all sorts of other things.

Since one of the big selling points of SWTOR is the excellent class stories, spending some time polishing up the existing areas to make things a bit less frustrating as we go through them multiple times seems like a really solid idea.

Edited by flumpet

I'm sure others picked up on this as well, and so the exciting piece that jumped out at me was the focus on the future... how these changes will allow for more to come, and provide an opportunity for the ongoing implementation of SWTOR's creative vision!

Great news, indeed... love this game, love Star Wars - MTFBWY!

:D:D:D

Cheers,

J

Edited by Johnycat

Hello everyone!

Today we’re doing a deep dive behind the Preview Window and another system involving dynamic placeable objects. These topics seemed like a good opportunity to pull back the curtain and explain why we’ve dedicated a good portion of a game update to them. Read on to discover where we could improve, what changed, and what it means for the future. Let us know your thoughts! https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20190319

Lol, can't release actual game content so lets call this game content... What it means for the future is that you ppl can't provide quality content nor quantity to keep players engaged more than 1 hour...

Looks interesting. Having decorations we can properly interact with would be marvelous. I think I misunderstood about some of it, I was hoping it meant, we could place decorations wherever we like, without limits, or at least not so many limits. I'd be happy enough if I could move things another twenty or so spaces, that would give a lot more versatility on where things could be placed. Or allow us to decide where WE want to place lightning and carpet hooks for example.

Being able to place our own hooks would be cool. Not sure if that's included in this, but it would be nice. :)

The new preview window looks excellent for the examples shown. Will the rebuilt version extend to decorations & their sounds? That's not clear from the write-up. It's very frustrating to buy a decoration because it looks good & will suit your stronghold theme, only to find the bought decoration makes a terrible noise & gas to be ditched (I'm looking at you Throne of the Sith Emperor). Not all decorations appear on ToR/youtube to be checked out before they are bought. Many of my hard earned credits and CCs have been wasted on noisy decorations so being able to preview noise as well as looks would be great.

I've not had chance to download the PTS so haven't been able to check this myself.

Hello everyone!

Nice, this will add polish to the game. Looks good.

The new preview window looks excellent for the examples shown. Will the rebuilt version extend to decorations & their sounds? That's not clear from the write-up. It's very frustrating to buy a decoration because it looks good & will suit your stronghold theme, only to find the bought decoration makes a terrible noise & gas to be ditched (I'm looking at you Throne of the Sith Emperor). Not all decorations appear on ToR/youtube to be checked out before they are bought. Many of my hard earned credits and CCs have been wasted on noisy decorations so being able to preview noise as well as looks would be great.

I've not had chance to download the PTS so haven't been able to check this myself.

It would also be great if decorations that emitted sound would have a DYN object bit added to them that could be clicked on that give the option to adjust sound radius / volume / mute. Lights could have DYNs to control/give options for light color and intensity.

Curious if this DYN change will help at all with the terrible asset/texture pop-in when moving around the zones. One of my biggest pet peeves about the game when moving around with the terrible draw distance. Edited by Saregon

Thanks for this, Dan! It's really fascinating to learn how the behind-the-scene stuff works and what are the technical limitations of the game and how you guys pass them, I was thinking this update was small-fish but I'm guessing this update is a sign of things to come. So overall I'm very pleased with the preview window, looking forward to seeing more dynamic items on the world and thanks for keeping up the communication as well as explaining us how things works.

Hello everyone!

Great Article Dan! Really excited to see SWTOR laying the foundation for the future of the game. Really excited for these changes!

Hello everyone!

Hi Dan,

This does look really cool and if it’s going to allow you to fix a thousand odd bugs with previews, then it’s a good thing.

I have a question with about the DNYs for you to find out (if you don’t akready know). Will these changes allow you to finally be able to fix some Cartel outfits that clip extremely bad when you put them on.

ie, Battle-Hardened Apprentice’s Helm.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1ryyOk0

As you can see it clips really badly.

I purchased this whole outfit specifically for the helmet and I cannot wear it with any character that has hair because of extreme clipping through it (and I don’t just mean a little). Honestly I don’t even know how this made it live and it’s been a very long time with no fix.