BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

Actually i already have a Vanguard 50. What I'd like is my 2 commando 50s to be roughly on-par with the other ACs in terms of skill level=survivability in PvP when all other considerations are equal (and by "on par" I don't mean identical). The disparity in this regard between commando/merc and every other AC in the game makes all other class imbalance issues look trivial imo. Edited by klham

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.

LOL. Austin Peckenpaugh needs to resign, now. ESCAPE ISSUES LOLOLOLOL! Because running away is useful....escape isn't the issue, and a heavy armour class shouldn't need to be LoSing like a trackstar, that's why the light armour classes have force speed (sage or w/e). "a lot of the escapability falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies" - any class gets shut down when attacked against multiple enemies, the reason commando sucks is because it falls apart against a SINGLE enemy, they're basically snipers - without cover or interrupt immunity, fix the class so they dont rely on grav round, an interrupt to that ability shuts them down.

Dear Mercenaries & Commandos, REJOICE !

From here: http://dulfy.net/2012/11/16/swtor-f2p-future-content-interview-with-damion-schubert/

18. Will be there any faction or Advanced Class change option available for purchase in the future?

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well.

PT/VANGUARD FOR EVERYONE YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY !!!

*sigh*

Very nice, although that is seriously a poor way to fix overall game balance and further discourages faith in a development team. On the bright side, if the class balance totem pole remains as it is now the extinction of Mandos/Mercs will be absolute and a giddy flood of newfound Vanguards/Powertechs will frolic like never before. Honestly can't wait, love my Mando but hate how dysfunctional and not viable it is for ranked play.

Edited by LeonHawkeye

Dear Mercenaries & Commandos, REJOICE !

From here: http://dulfy.net/2012/11/16/swtor-f2p-future-content-interview-with-damion-schubert/

18. Will be there any faction or Advanced Class change option available for purchase in the future?

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well.

PT/VANGUARD FOR EVERYONE YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY !!!

*sigh*

I'M NOT GONNA CHANGE MY AC, I LOVE COMMANDO!!! Aaaand i have vanguard already and WOULD probably play it if i could deal damage as before not at 10m distance.

Edited by dejavy

I'M NOT GONNA CHANGE MY AC, I LOVE COMMANDO!!! Aaaand i have vanguard already and WOULD probably play it if i could deal damage as before not at 10m distance.

This also.. im sticking with my Arsenal Merc, nothing or nobody will make me change.

mec/commando dps is not broken. its fine. you let a merc free-cast for the entire warzone, and they will put up stupidly high numbers.

Merc dps left unmolested will still put up lower numbers than Sorc dps, Snipers or Smash Monkeys. The problem is that that Merc dps put up lower damage numbers when unmolested AND when under duress.

Merc dps left unmolested will still put up lower numbers than Sorc dps, Snipers or Smash Monkeys. The problem is that that Merc dps put up lower damage numbers when unmolested AND when under duress.

Dont give us that BS, im a full time Arsenal Merc DPS'er, i can put out put as much DPS as most other classes. It has nothing to do with being Molested as you say, its about knowing the class, knowing how to kite and knowing the maps and Most important how to LOS.

Our server has some Great DPS players, both republic and imperial, and further more great players, and i can play just as well as the great players on my Merc.

I have no issues taking down people on my merc. I do think they are underpowered in comparason to other classes as far as utilities go. I have a specific job set that I do well with. I am excellent 1v1 and tend to draw noobs away from nodes or doors (voidstar) because they think "It's just a merc and I am a maurader" i just burn them down in a couple of seconds, one less person on the battlefield for that team. Sometimes I can get 3 people to follow me and leave a node completely undefended and I just run around. I fully understand I will eventually die but I make it take as long as possible gives my team a much better chance to take the nodes. Same thing on defense, I can hold people off long enough to get reinforcements when that 2-3 guys tries to cap my point. I may not put out the dmg but I have some wicked endurance and make sure people have to give me everything to drop me.

I have no issues taking down people on my merc. I do think they are underpowered in comparason to other classes as far as utilities go. I have a specific job set that I do well with. I am excellent 1v1 and tend to draw noobs away from nodes or doors (voidstar) because they think "It's just a merc and I am a maurader" i just burn them down in a couple of seconds, one less person on the battlefield for that team. Sometimes I can get 3 people to follow me and leave a node completely undefended and I just run around. I fully understand I will eventually die but I make it take as long as possible gives my team a much better chance to take the nodes. Same thing on defense, I can hold people off long enough to get reinforcements when that 2-3 guys tries to cap my point. I may not put out the dmg but I have some wicked endurance and make sure people have to give me everything to drop me.

exactly. im not saying we are perfect, we surely do lack in some area's but the guy i quoted said mercs are sub par... i think maybe its just him that is sub par..

I don't think anyone was expecting changes to class balance in this patch, but they've made it clear that it's coming. They've acknowledged that there are issues. Stay positive, but keep up the drum beat . It'll happen. Edited by klham

No mention of the proposed jetpack escape ability? A Dev himself weakly stated that we've got escapability issues. The proposed jetpack ability would give us that.

i do not think such an ability is necessary.

i did suggest that for Arsenal, using Jet Boost grants a 4s 30% speed boost after the knockback. its not a jetpack escape ability, but i think that it would do the job quite well and keep Merc within the realm of balance.

i also suggested that Degauss grant full immunity to movement-impairments for the full duration of Energy Shield, not just a 1 time cleanse. that would give Pyro a similar "escape" ability.

the key to most of these changes is that they do not require new animations, or new abilities. almost all of these abilities require only some changes to values in the coding. basically, "keep it simple stupid" so that bioware can make these changes quickly in order to balance test them

Edited by cashogy

I don't think anyone was expecting changes to class balance in this patch, but they've made it clear that it's coming. They've acknowledged that there are issues. Stay positive, but keep up the drum beat . It'll happen.

Why wouldn't we expect changes in this patch? Why should we have to wait 3-4 MORE months for changes?

Heh, I AM expecting improvements in this patch, even if just incremental. This or the next, or I'm done. This crap has been going on plenty long enough - they've implemented their cash cow, now it's time for some fixes. Edited by Jherad

Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.

It's nice to know that corner hugging is only allowed by commando/mercs and that this ability is figured into their class balance. To even post this is ignorant. Corner hugging is a tactic everyone has and shouldn't be figured into class balance at all. Fix commando/merc so they can provide full dps output while being attacked and balance their defensive abilities to the other classes...specifically mara/sent. Our shield should remain the same duration and absorb 50% of incoming damage to be balanced or lowered to a 1 min duration. Add a 4 second root to sticky and change the stock strike back to the original beta version with a knock back and a 2 sec knock down.

Agreed re. corner hugging. It comes off as and L2P comment. L2P is a totally separate issue from the omissions in this AC's design. Even when you maximize this AC's potential it still falls up short against every single other AC in the game and is a hard-counter to none of them.

Dont give us that BS, im a full time Arsenal Merc DPS'er, i can put out put as much DPS as most other classes. It has nothing to do with being Molested as you say, its about knowing the class, knowing how to kite and knowing the maps and Most important how to LOS.

I've put up 800k damage as a Merc Pyro. I have the top dps score in 90% of the wz matches I am in. You know how I do that? I kill Mercs first. They are the easiest to kill. By far.

However unlike you, I also play other classes. And on those toons too, there is one general rule. Kill the easiest players first. Kill Mercs first. The only time you ever lose to a Merc in a clean 1v1 is....well, never. Merc dps is the worst subclass in the game. Only dishonest people or idiots would contest that.

But since YOU can put out as much DPS as other classes, I'm sure you'll be able to show us your 1.2 million damage screenshot, right?

Merc DPS output is fine, under the right circumstances. The problems come up when good players get smart and realize you cant do squat if they spend 15-30s to kill you, and there is not much you can do to stop them.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=559457

^ link to our thread in the PTS forum, keep it bumped so devs are forced to see it! :cool: