How to get all the good schematics?

nexaar

I took Synthweaving because I wanted to make some nice armor but I couldn't learn anything useful even at skill 100 so I dropped it and took slicing so I could pay for leveling up Underworld Trading. Now I'm at skill 70 in underworld and still no useful schematics. By useful, I mean blue or orange modable chest or legs. How do I find them? Is it really that hard? Don't tell me to reverse engineer, because there was nothing that made sense to do it on. Edited by nexaar

The primary means of finding (good) blue anything for crafting is reverse engineering. If you're curious, you can always change the filter on the crafting trainer from "trainable" to "all" to see all that's available to purchase.

You can find orange chest schematics from UT, though they are pretty rare. (and pretty pointless, unless you happen to really dig the look of a particular one. You'll get several orange chest pieces from quests)

I'm assuming you're a consular/inquis. Synthweaving has "issues" in that there is a large gap in light armor recpies from around lvl 15 to around lvl 25. (iirc there are a pair of lvl 21 or 23 bracer recipies, but they both have endurance weighted stats)

The primary means of finding (good) blue anything for crafting is reverse engineering. If you're curious, you can always change the filter on the crafting trainer from "trainable" to "all" to see all that's available to purchase.

You can find orange chest schematics from UT, though they are pretty rare. (and pretty pointless, unless you happen to really dig the look of a particular one. You'll get several orange chest pieces from quests)

I'm assuming you're a consular/inquis. Synthweaving has "issues" in that there is a large gap in light armor recpies from around lvl 15 to around lvl 25. (iirc there are a pair of lvl 21 or 23 bracer recipies, but they both have endurance weighted stats)

Yes, I noticed. That's why I got disappointed when I couldn't make anything for my level. I'm a lvl 21 consular atm and I'm planning to pick up Synthweaving again once I have gathered some mats. I guess I can put UT on ice for now, thanks.

UT will pretty much pay to level itself, if you focus on metal missions and sell the metal on the exchange. Don't need slicing to help pay for it.

As to getting schematics, UT will get you orange ones for Synthweaving and Armormech. It is just a chance of it happening though, so got to keep running the missions. Keep an eye on the exchange as well, people often sell them for the cost the exchange recommends and that's pretty cheap for the low ones. Way less than they ought to be asking, really, given that those are both the most useful (can use them soonest) and rarest (lots of 50 schematics, but a lot fewer of the lower level missions get done).

Believe prototype schematics, the ones that start blue, come from Investigation, which most likely will not pay for itself. Not sure if they get synthweaving ones though. You can, for sure, get them off mobs or from lockboxes, including the TH provided ones. Overall though, these aren't really worth bothering with at the moment. Better off with the green ones you get and bringing those up to purple than trying to get the ones that start at blue upgraded 2x to the recipe you want.