Katana(samurai sword) Lightsaber

srslycomeon

Firstly, nice Photoshop in the OP.

God no.. There are some things in the lore that should not be changed.

It's cheesy.

Not saying I love the katana lightsaber, but it's no more cheesy than the double-bladed lightsaber staff. Talk about impractical. For that matter, the concept of duel-wield lightsabers can die in a fire, as far as I'm concerned. Cause, you know, the only thing better than wielding a single, near-weightless blade that can cut through you as if through butter -- because that situation isn't absurdly dangerous enough -- the only thing better than that is wielding two, amirite?

Lucas threw the saber staff into Phantom Menace for shock value and/or toy sales. It's been all downhill from there.

I am a great fan of both Katana's and Lightsabres, so it looks really nice to me. However I don't see the need outside of the visual impact, it wouldn't enhance the lightsabres ability any further with a curved blade.

Lucas threw the saber staff into Phantom Menace for shock value and/or toy sales. It's been all downhill from there.

Except that fits the lore because the light does not form a new shape. The basic idea of a hilt and a solid light beam is still intact.

If anything just have a cool hilt like Count Dooku. Look it up.

Except that fits the lore because the light does not form a new shape. The basic idea of a hilt and a solid light beam is still intact.

The saber staff is still perhaps the most impractical weapon ever conceived. It is immersion-breaking by dint of our common-sense understanding of the human body and how it moves -- whereas the idea of a beam of light arbitrarily terminating at a fixed point to form a distinct blade-like shape is merely dubious in an abstract, physics-class kinda way. Likewise, a curved light beam would be both dubious and immersion-breaking, but it'd be just another cheesy gimmick to throw onto an already expansive pile of cheesy gimmicks.

Oh yeah, and check out that Darksaber link above. Looks like you're too late.

Edited by Invictos

If a lightsaber comes to being, I am guessing that it will resemble something like a vibroblade and the energy beam will surround the blade or some how they will be able to control the beams projection. As for giving a curve look or anything, that would just be more for style than for functionality. One thing about the lightsaber, I would expect to see more injuries because there is no mass to stop the blade and all sides cut, not just the point or the one cutting side as seen on a katana. Edited by Lorica

If a lightsaber comes to being, I am guess that it will resemble something like a vibroblade and the energy beam will surround the blade or some how they will be able to control the beams projection. As for giving a curve look or anything, that would just be more for style than for functionality. One thing about the lightsaber, I would expect to see more injuries because there is no mass to stop the blade and all sides cut, not just the point or the one cutting side as seen on a katana.

well yeah a lightsaber like they have in the movies is 100% impossible. It could never ever exist unless we some how discover "magic"

A plasma sword or something like a vibro blade is possible.

See, lightsabers are impractical in real world applications. They are also impractical in the non-Force using population of the Star Wars universe. People who don't have the ability to call on this mysterious Force thing can't use lightsabers without cutting themselves to pieces. It's a cool weapon in theory but at the same time, quit trying to apply it to the real world. It's hand-waveyness at its best.

See, lightsabers are impractical in real world applications. They are also impractical in the non-Force using population of the Star Wars universe. People who don't have the ability to call on this mysterious Force thing can't use lightsabers without cutting themselves to pieces. It's a cool weapon in theory but at the same time, quit trying to apply it to the real world. It's hand-waveyness at its best.

Exactly right. I still believe that the saber staff is more immersion-breaking than a regular lightsaber, because the concept of fighting with a staff weapon without ever letting it touch you* strains our common sense credulity, whereas the concept of a light beam that terminates at a fixed and arbitrary point in space is a more abstract absurdity -- but in principle, none of the above is any less preposterous than a curved lightsaber.

In any case, when you're dealing with fantasy, all of the preceding objections are subjective.

(* - Force or no Force, there are only so many ways a human body can contort. It seems to me that you'd spend as much effort and energy just getting out of your own way as you would attacking your opponent, with a saber staff. "So the good news is I parried an attack; the bad news is I cut my own legs off!")

Edited by Invictos

Exactly right. I still believe that the saber staff is more immersion-breaking than a regular lightsaber, because the concept of fighting with a staff weapon without ever letting it touch you* strains our common sense credulity, whereas the concept of a light beam that terminates at a fixed and arbitrary point in space is a more abstract absurdity -- but in principle, none of the above is any less preposterous than a curved lightsaber.

In any case, when you're dealing with fantasy, all of the preceding objections are subjective.

(* - Force or no Force, there are only so many ways a human body can contort. It seems to me that you'd spend as much effort and energy just getting out of your own way as you would attacking your opponent, with a saber staff. "So the good news is I parried an attack; the bad news is I cut my own legs off!")

While yes, it does limit the potential range of the weapon, it is fully possible to fight with a staff in the real world without beating yourself to death with it, even if you are restricted to holding it within a foot to either side of center. Therefore, it should be possible to fight with a saber staff without lopping body parts off. Especially with the predescribed access to such a power as 'The Force' to assist you and augment abilities. Besides, if you listen any time someone describes a saber staff in canon, the general reaction is that it's by far the most retarded weapon a Jedi could carry. For example, in the book Darth Plageuis, Palpatine and Damask have a conversation regarding Maul's use of a saber staff, where Damask states that anyone using that weapon must be out of their mind (or something similar). When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan see Maul's saberstaff, they both look confused. I attribute this to the fact that they are shocked that anyone would even attempt that weapon.

There would be no reason to have one, the point of the Katana is to have a cutting/slicing weapon, to adapt to certain armors and to be of ease of use, no such difficulties would affect the lightsaber, as it already does it's own job.

Also, I think there have been far too many variations as it stands, it is already overkill that we have so many, as 'cool' as it may be, I imagine the gimmick would get old rather quickly and their existence would then only serve to annoy the lore buffs.

While yes, it does limit the potential range of the weapon, it is fully possible to fight with a staff in the real world without beating yourself to death with it, even if you are restricted to holding it within a foot to either side of center. Therefore, it should be possible to fight with a saber staff without lopping body parts off. Especially with the predescribed access to such a power as 'The Force' to assist you and augment abilities. Besides, if you listen any time someone describes a saber staff in canon, the general reaction is that it's by far the most retarded weapon a Jedi could carry. For example, in the book Darth Plageuis, Palpatine and Damask have a conversation regarding Maul's use of a saber staff, where Damask states that anyone using that weapon must be out of their mind (or something similar). When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan see Maul's saberstaff, they both look confused. I attribute this to the fact that they are shocked that anyone would even attempt that weapon.

Regardless, the saber staff was very effective, on the defensive it could block as quickly as a single-bladed weapon, but with only half the exertion, on the offensive it was deadly, it could tire out an opponent very quickly, which is exactly what Darth Maul's tactic against Qui-Gon was.

If you read Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, the basic principles of the saber staff are revealed in full and bely any queries you may have about the weapon.

Then we have Exar Kun's own words on the weapon as well, which reveal that it can be used at such great speeds that an opponent would simply become confused and overwhelmed, only seasoned duellists with much experience could tackle the double-bladed Lightsaber and survive.