APAC character transfer: working with 'name placeholder' characters

StephenReid

As a reminder: these instructions only apply to the Asia-Pacific character transfer system. A more advanced character transfer system is being developed.

Hello everyone. We've heard from quite a few of you who created 'name placeholder' characters on the APAC servers (Dalborra, Gav Daragon and Master Dar'Nala) upon their launch, and are now wondering if you should delete those placeholder characters before the transfer process begins. This is partially covered in our FAQ but I wanted to go into more detail and hopefully clarify for you.

This is a little tricky so please read carefully, and I'll try to answer follow-up questions in this thread as they occur. (Apologies in advance if due to timezone differences or the weekend I'm not super-prompt.) If you have any issues with the character transfer process, please contact Customer Service.

Here's the short version: if you have sufficient character slots free on your destination server, you can transfer your characters and then delete your placeholder characters - therefore ensuring you retain your character name after transfer.

Let's get more detailed. First, you need to be aware of the restrictions on character slots. There will always only be eight character slots available on any single target server for you to transfer characters to, and transferred characters will not 'overwrite' characters with the same name. That's important because if you're transferring characters to 'replace' a placeholder character, you may find that you don't have enough free slots to transfer to.

For example: you have six characters that you wish to transfer to the Dalborra server, on which you have previously created six placeholder characters with the same names as your incoming transferred characters. As those six characters do not 'overwrite' the existing placeholder characters, you will be unable to move all six characters and will actually only be able to move two.

This essentially means that if you are trying to transfer more than four characters to 'replace' a placeholder character, you will not be able to transfer all of them to a single server. You will need to delete some characters on the destination server to make room for incoming transferred characters. This does mean that there's a chance another character will be created on that server with that name in the interim.

However, if you do have free slots, you can transfer characters to your destination server, delete your placeholder characters, then rename your transferred characters. This process would happen as follows:

- After your transfer is complete, you will be notified via email.

- You will login to the game and navigate to the new region in the server select screen.

- You will select your chosen destination server.

- On the character select screen you will see any of your placeholder characters, and also your transferred characters. (Your transferred characters will have randomly generated names; you should be able to recognize them visually, though!)

- You may delete any or all of your placeholder characters.

IMPORTANT NOTE ON RENAMING: If you have more than one transferred character, regardless of which character you select, you will be prompted to rename all of your transferred characters in order from the top of the character selection screen downwards. Please take extra care to ensure you are renaming the correct character by comparing their temporary names to ensure they match.

- After a placeholder character is deleted, click their 'replacement' character (see note above!) and then click 'Play'. You will be prompted to rename them. Rename them to your previous 'placeholder' name. (You will actually not login to the game after this point, but will remain on the character select screen and see your renamed character.)

- Your character will be renamed and ready to play.

- After you have renamed your first transferred character, you will be prompted to rename every other character that has been transferred. If you have not deleted your other placeholder characters at this point, click the 'X' to cancel the rename process.

In summary, if you are attempting to transfer more than four characters to a single server with 'name placeholder' characters, then you may need to delete some placeholder characters to make room for all your characters that are being transferred. However if you have space (or choose to transfer characters to differing servers) you should be able to use your 'name placeholders' to ensure you keep your transferred characters' names.

Hopefully this makes the process a little clearer. Again, as a reminder, this is not a description of any final character transfer process - just what will be occurring specifically for the Asia-Pacific character transfer process.

Edited by StephenReid

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes sense, but just to be safe can we get some sort of assurance that if this process screws up can we get customer support to rename our characters afterwards for us? I think that would make a lot of people feel a lot happier about it :)

That makes sense, but just to be safe can we get some sort of assurance that if this process screws up can we get customer support to rename our characters afterwards for us? I think that would make a lot of people feel a lot happier about it :)

Customer Service will absolutely be able to help you in that (hopefully unlikely) scenario.

Hi Stephen - will the procedure be the same if the legacy name I am transferring over to one of the Asia Pacific servers already exists - i.e I'll get the option to change it?

(Also, unrelated, but could you consider adding NZ times when you are posting up maintenance/patching downtimes? Thanks!)

if you already have a legacy on oceanic servers it will use that name even if the legacy being transferred in is of a higher level.

you will get to have that higher level on your oceanic legacy but the name will not change.

Customer Service will absolutely be able to help you in that (hopefully unlikely) scenario.

Thanks Stephen.

Can customer service droids help us rename some characters _prior_ to the AP transfers, so that we can ensure we keep our most-valued usernames and still retain room for our incoming characters? :)

Ok cool.

Super peeved right now. Did not even think of having to reserve my name AGAIN.. thinking that I would have preference due do pre-ordering and already reserving the name once.

Just found out my name I have used since Day 1 of global launch on my 50 char has been taken on the destination server >.< I will hunt you down

*sighs*

One more question.

It states in the FAQ's:

Q. What happens if my Legacy name is already taken on my selected Asia Pacific server?

A. If your Legacy name is already taken on the selected Asia Pacific server, you will be prompted to choose a new Legacy name when you log into the server.

My question is, will we be given the option to change our Legacy Name upon transfer. For example, I have a level 31 legacy on The Swiftsure and no legacy on Master Dar'Nala. If i transfer a character to Master Dar'Nala, will I be able to rename my Legacy even if it's not taken?

Glad to read about this! I made that assumption process before but it's good to know that it really is valid and official.

Just hope that within that split seconds, no one else happens to create the placeholder character names we are about to rename to after deletion lol

Hey all, thanks for feedback. Looks like I covered most questions but here's are answers for a couple of outstanding ones.

Will the procedure be the same if the legacy name I am transferring over to one of the Asia Pacific servers already exists - i.e I'll get the option to change it?

Hey StarKiwi - the answer is yes. From the FAQ:

If your Legacy name is already taken on the selected Asia Pacific server, you will be prompted to choose a new Legacy name when you log into the server.

Also do note what happens if you've already unlocked Legacy on an APAC server - you'll keep that Legacy name regardless:

If you have played a character on an Asia Pacific server to the point where you have unlocked your Legacy and chosen your Legacy name, then all characters created on or imported to your selected Asia Pacific server will use that Legacy name.

Here's a related question:

My question is, will we be given the option to change our Legacy Name upon transfer. For example, I have a level 31 legacy on The Swiftsure and no legacy on Master Dar'Nala. If i transfer a character to Master Dar'Nala, will I be able to rename my Legacy even if it's not taken?

Good news Ignicity - yes, you will! Essentially after transfer you'll be presented with the same 'choose your Legacy name' dialog you saw after first completing Chapter 1 of the game. The only exception is if you have already unlocked Legacy on your destination APAC server; that name will take precedence.

My question is when will everyone on any server be able to have server transfers? im sure this will get moved, but i couldnt find the old server transfer thread that we had compiled together and saw this instead. Will we see server transfers for everyone soon since it is obviously already implemented into the game, it shouldnt take much longer to server transfers for every server up. Why have we had no word on this, when so many people have asked? will we ever get a straight answer from a dev or someone who works at bio when this will be available? I desperately need to transfer 2 characters from one account to another. Please give me an answer, please!

Will we see server transfers for everyone soon since it is obviously already implemented into the game, it shouldnt take much longer to server transfers for every server up.

As I've mentioned before, the character transfer system for Asia-Pacific servers is not the final system - it is in fact essentially a prototype for the final system, designed to transfer a small amount of characters (relatively speaking).

The final character transfer system is in development now and is a high priority for the development team. However, as this is a complex technical challenge with many 'moving parts' it will not be available until some time after the Asia-Pacific character transfer process is finished. When we have more details and a more accurate ETA to share, we will do so.

As a reminder: these instructions only apply to the Asia-Pacific character transfer system. A more advanced character transfer system is being developed.

Thanks for the info, the fact your admitting "a more advanced character transfer system is being developed" gives me at least some hope.

In the other language forums the mods haven't mentioned this as far as i could read. The usual answer is "transfers are not possible at this moment" which is a lot more vague than your statement.

Thanks for the info, the fact your admitting "a more advanced character transfer system is being developed" gives me at least some hope.

In the other language forums the mods haven't mentioned this as far as i could read. The usual answer is "transfers are not possible at this moment" which is a lot more vague than your statement.

yea same here, im glad i at least got an answer on it and know its a top priority, cuz i really need it asap

Regarding Legacy names on the server you're moving TO. What about if I've unlocked my Legacy already and used the same name as the Legacy name from my Original server? I was happy with my Legacy name on the server i started on and wanted to make sure i didn't lose it when the Asia/Pac srevers opened. Now that transfers are coming and earlier in the thread you said if the legacy name already exists on the destination realm you'll be prompted to rename it, but what if i don't want to rename it? Can i just ignore that prompt the first time and it will go away?

tl;dr: Am i forced to change my Legacy name even if i don't want to because i have the same Legacy on the destination realm?

The final character transfer system is in development now and is a high priority for the development team. However, as this is a complex technical challenge with many 'moving parts' it will not be available until some time after the Asia-Pacific character transfer process is finished. When we have more details and a more accurate ETA to share, we will do so.

To be fair we need a time line for this like 4 weeks back now, I'm a fairly patient man and has so far not had many complaints but this has gone over the time of what can be considered with in reasonable patience and acceptance for technical issues.

Basically our whole guild hangs in the balance over this one feature as we have US players in our community playing on a EU server.

As I've mentioned before, the character transfer system for Asia-Pacific servers is not the final system - it is in fact essentially a prototype for the final system, designed to transfer a small amount of characters (relatively speaking).

Take your time and you wont need to worry about transfering alot of people.

Regarding Legacy names on the server you're moving TO. What about if I've unlocked my Legacy already and used the same name as the Legacy name from my Original server? I was happy with my Legacy name on the server i started on and wanted to make sure i didn't lose it when the Asia/Pac srevers opened. Now that transfers are coming and earlier in the thread you said if the legacy name already exists on the destination realm you'll be prompted to rename it, but what if i don't want to rename it? Can i just ignore that prompt the first time and it will go away?

tl;dr: Am i forced to change my Legacy name even if i don't want to because i have the same Legacy on the destination realm?

If you have already chosen your legacy name on the destination server, my understanding is that you will not be prompted to change it. It will continue to be your legacy name.

Also, thanks for the reply, Rockjaw. One last question came to mind.

If I don't have any placeholder 's on my destination server, and the names of the characters I wish to move are not already taken on that server, will I be given the option to rename them?

Edited by Ignicity