Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Never done any end game PvE.

Dabrixmgp
01.11.2019 , 01:00 PM | #1
So been playing off and on since launch and literally never done any end game PvE. Not just raids Im pretty sure I have never even done a dungeon at max level. I really just ran around doing dailies and PvP. When I got tired of that I just made a new character so I could play the story then when I hit max level went back to PvP again. Just reinstalled and finally want to do some PvE. I decided to switch servers to Star Forge and plan on making a new character. Im just wondering what specs are currently favored over others and what might be more forgiving to play for someone just starting out in raids?

LD_Little_Dragon
01.11.2019 , 04:38 PM | #2
If you do PvP then you should already know how to play your class, that's a plus right there.

For first runs it's best to play a dps class. For story-mode OPs and veteran (and most master mode) flashpoints any spec is viable as long as you know how to play it. Just follow the tank and kill stuff in the right order and you'll be fine.

Any healer spec is good too, and more in demand than dps for pugs, but mistakes will be more noticable than if you're running as a dps.

I do not suggest doing raids as a tank until you've done a few raids as a dps or heal spec. Tanks, especially in flashpoints, are expected to know all the shortcuts and fights already.

Try to run veteran flashpoints before running the master mode version. The mechanics are a bit different, but at least you'll have a general idea of what to do.

PvE is better than PvP in that almost all classes/specs are viable so you can play what you find fun.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

AlrikFassbauer
01.12.2019 , 05:16 AM | #3
If you want to avoid mistakes, yolu might read here : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=633655
It's a´fun read, sometimes, too !

One of the biggest mistakes currently often made are to completely ignore any mechanics in Master Mode FPs & OPs.
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

DawnAskham
01.12.2019 , 06:36 PM | #4
Read guides (class / content), get a parse program like StarParse, and practice on a dummy first.

I've met many players that thought they knew how to play, only to run a parse and find they were making lots of mistakes - and then being able to correct and significantly improve from the data provided by the parse.

As for what to play, any class played competently can do well enough in most content, so my first recommendation would be to play what you enjoy over a class perceived to be 'better'.

If I did have to recommend something for a first operation character, I'd pick a ranged class with an ability to spec heals, so merc / sorc and the mirrors.

Ranged is generally more forgiving, especially when learning - and being able to swap to heals adds utility.

AlrikFassbauer
01.14.2019 , 07:28 AM | #5
Be alarmed if you see this for Story Mode ( ! ) FPs :

Quote:
"LF 1 Tank KP SM GF. Must have 248 set bonus with augments and link Brontes NIM cheeve."
In this satire example taken from the thread I had linked above, someone wants a tank for Story Mode ( = SM ) , having the currently almost best-in-slot (BIS) gear (248) , even with set bonus, fully filled with all augments, and an Nightmare Brontes (Dread Fortress) achievement - that for Story Mode !

People who want so much over-the-top standards for Story Mode are not people you might want to play with as an newbie to end-game PvE.

P.S. : If you don't know it, the acronyms thread might be handy : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=822400
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.