An insane amount of abilities - too many for PvP.

Dreez

I come from a long line of mmo's where PvP was the main focus. And all these games had something wonderful

in common, they had either a macro-system (Rift) or just few enough abilities to use in combat that it wouldn't

wreck your hands trying to achieve control during the heat of combat.

Right now i find myself have 2+ rows full of skill to keep track of and it feels over the top.

1-5 (keys 6-0 aren't an effective key in combat because it requires the hand to move from the ASDW keys).

§,Q,E,R,F,X .

Shift+2,3,5.

Mousebutton 3-5.

F1-F4.

Thats 20 !!! Abilities IN COMBAT to keep track of.. I seriously doubt any other class got that amount of

abilities they need in combat. So how would a Rage-Juggernaut go about sorting this mess out ?.

Normally i use 10-11 buttons. Those extra 9 are messing my mojo up bigtime.

i had a motorcycle accident that left my left hand with limited range of motion so i can only keybind minimally...i main;y have to click; but even then I tend to end up at the top of the score boards.

I lament that I can't play certain classes (mainly stealth) any more but the simpler ones like jugg sage sniper merc are easy peezy once you learn the proper rotations...

ability amount is a tad bloated but not really an issue even for me

MMO mouse can help a lot with this, I am loving my G600.

Jugguardian is not so bad in this regard compared to other classes. Sent/Mara have like seven or eight attacks alone in the rotation; Zealous Strike / Blade Rush / Precision / Clashing Blast / Lance / Dispatch / Blade Barrage with Zen and Twin Throw mixed in there when up.

Razer Naga.

If you can WASD and SHIFT / CTRL, then you have 36 binds. Most of the work is done with your right hand (or left hand if you use your right on the keyboard and get a left handed gaming mouse). Set A/D to strafe and steer with your mouse by holding right click.

I would not play this game without my Naga.

i had a motorcycle accident that left my left hand with limited range of motion so i can only keybind minimally...

I think a gaming mouse would be perfect for you. Like I said, most of the work would be done with your right hand. Definitely takes some practice and some getting used to, and it will cost you around $70 or so, but it's definitely worth it IMO. I've had mine for close to 3 years now I think. I love it.

Here's how my UI is set up: http://i.imgur.com/fjYs5aR.jpg

I use QERF as regular key binds, 1-12 (on Naga), SHIFT + 1-12, Ctrl + 1-2 (med pack and adrenal), middle mouse button, plus the two extra buttons on the mouse. I could use Ctrl a lot more, but I haven't bothered since there are not that many abilities I need to use much. I use Ctrl mostly for my various mounts.

Edited by teclado

I finally gave up on Razer after my last Imperator broke. Again.

I have had:

Three Imperators (all failed. One MMB failed completely, two LMB failed with continuous doubleclicks)

One DeathAdder (still in use at work)

Two Black Widow keyboards (one RMAed because it had bad keys, which is an impressive feat with Cherry MX, the other no longer in use but still functional).

Currently I have a Logitech G600, which seems better in build quality over Razer in every way. It just feels much more solid.

I *want* to like Razer products, and bought them exclusively for years, but they just don't last for me.

Edited by stoopicus

MMO mouse can help a lot with this, I am loving my G600.

Jugguardian is not so bad in this regard compared to other classes. Sent/Mara have like seven or eight attacks alone in the rotation; Zealous Strike / Blade Rush / Precision / Clashing Blast / Lance / Dispatch / Blade Barrage with Zen and Twin Throw mixed in there when up.

I too have the G600 and i love it. It has helped so much, taken a lot of stress from my Carpal Tunnel. But even with that there is still abilities on some of my toons i cant bind to a key that i can get to with my pinkie finger with out numbness setting in and once its starts i have to stop playing till i get feeling back. So there is still some abilities i just point to and click with mouse. My Jug and Mara all is good between my keys and my G600 all is covered but other toons/classes are screwed i cant seem to get all bond i still do a lot of clicking with mouse and that screws me and cost me lives and matches in pvp. Its hard to explain to people about my CT and why its hard for me in pvp, they think i shouldnt play pvp at all. But screw that nothing not even a hindrance like Carpal tunnel will stop me for to long so, i'll keep playing no matter what, its my right as a sub.

G600 though is the best i think, but after 4years the left click is wore out. 1 click double or triple clicks sometimes and copying and pasting with left click can be dangerous to your files. lol

Grab a naga(or similar multi button) and problem solved.

I mainly use 1-12 for main offence, then Alt+1-12 for defence and Shft+1-12 for anything else.

With this i only use movement buttons on kb plus two more buttons(Alt and Shft).

Grab a naga(or similar multi button) and problem solved.

I mainly use 1-12 for main offence, then Alt+1-12 for defence and Shft+1-12 for anything else.

With this i only use movement buttons on kb plus two more buttons(Alt and Shft).

More or less similar for me with the G600, except the shift button (which I map to ctrl) is on the mouse too (it's a ring finger button to the right of the RMB). So I end up with 24 binds from the side pad, then LMB, MMB, RMB, MMB-right, MMB-left, G7/G8 (same place as Razer puts the DPI buttons), ctrl-G7/8.

The tiltswitch MMB surprised me. MMB-right and left are surprisingly useful. I use them for my stuns because it "feels right" to push the MMB to the right for Backhand.

I basically love this thing.

I come from a long line of mmo's where PvP was the main focus. And all these games had something wonderful

in common, they had either a macro-system (Rift) or just few enough abilities to use in combat that it wouldn't

wreck your hands trying to achieve control during the heat of combat.

Right now i find myself have 2+ rows full of skill to keep track of and it feels over the top.

1-5 (keys 6-0 aren't an effective key in combat because it requires the hand to move from the ASDW keys).

§,Q,E,R,F,X .

Shift+2,3,5.

Mousebutton 3-5.

F1-F4.

Thats 20 !!! Abilities IN COMBAT to keep track of.. I seriously doubt any other class got that amount of

abilities they need in combat. So how would a Rage-Juggernaut go about sorting this mess out ?.

Normally i use 10-11 buttons. Those extra 9 are messing my mojo up bigtime.

The answer to your question is: By learning the class

Honestly, do you really think this is a lot? I had 90+ keybinds in WoW.. I'm having one big vacation PvPing over here. I have to bind nearly nothing. 3 full rows of abilities is not a lot. Especially since 60% of them you only use on the right occasion.

Bind stuff to your modifiers, and even to your scrollwheel. There's a ton of keys you can use.. and you don't need Q and E for strafing.. you can use A and D for that. Since keyturning is.. lets just not go there, ok?

• 2 weeks later...

No.

They tried pruning abilities in WoW, now everyone has a three button rotation with two cooldowns. Matches feel stale and there is no counterplay.

One of the biggest selling points in this game is the fact you have a large toolkit with lots of room to counter/outplay opponents.

I've had Nagas and G600's but this mouse is the best I've ever had ... http://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/Gaming-Mice/Nyth/ Smooth and tough enough not to get "Razor" stroke (that when they start to do their signature double clicking because the buttons are cheap). It also lets me adjust the mouse buttons to where I want them. Its a little costly but well worth it.

I've had Nagas and G600's but this mouse is the best I've ever had ... http://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/Gaming-Mice/Nyth/ Smooth and tough enough not to get "Razor" stroke (that when they start to do their signature double clicking because the buttons are cheap). It also lets me adjust the mouse buttons to where I want them. Its a little costly but well worth it.

That looks awesome, not sure I like their shift button placement vs the G600 though. Still, love the modularity.

And yeah, that double click thing has happened to all but one of the Razers I have owned (several Imperators and a Deathadder.) I had a Black Widow with defective keys too. I love their product design but their build quality just isn't there compared with their competitors.

Edited by stoopicus

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE how many abilities the Guardian has. I have multiple characters, and the guardian is the most fun to play for me. The vast range of abilities is VERY flexible. Just because you have all those abilities doesn't mean your using them all at once. Many are situational.

Just practice for a week or two and it isn't a problem any more. If they were to change it we would have 5 abilities to rotate through which would be boring.

Don't change it!

how about the 5 AoE's on my merc? sure IO is a bit extreme but most classes got several and all i can think of is why?

Yeah but aren't they all different, especially when you factor in passives and utilities?

I see what you're saying - instead of so many, just reduce the CD on one and eliminate the others - and maybe for IO Merc that's fine. But then you trend towards the sniper/slinger situation where you can play almost the entire PvE game using ONLY one of your AoE attacks, again and again, forever :)

I mean, I have two hard stuns on my Jugg. They are different, but even if they were exactly the same, I would still want two hard stuns on my Jugg, and in fact would give up nearly any attack on any of my other toons to get an additional hard stun there too. I don't see that as bloat.

Yeah but aren't they all different, especially when you factor in passives and utilities?

I see what you're saying - instead of so many, just reduce the CD on one and eliminate the others - and maybe for IO Merc that's fine. But then you trend towards the sniper/slinger situation where you can play almost the entire PvE game using ONLY one of your AoE attacks, again and again, forever :)

I mean, I have two hard stuns on my Jugg. They are different, but even if they were exactly the same, I would still want two hard stuns on my Jugg, and in fact would give up nearly any attack on any of my other toons to get an additional hard stun there too. I don't see that as bloat.

honestly 2 hard stuns on any class is pretty insane. i don't think every class should even have one.

I don't think it's insane. Every class has a stun break/getoutofstun ability. So if there wasn't a second stun there would be no point to stunning anything because everyone could just clear it and move on.

This way there's more dynamic fights.

"Do I stun early knowing they can break it, and will probably stun be right back?"

"Do I use my stun break now and get out of it? or do I ride out the damage and wait to use it on the second stun?"

I like it the way it is!

• 2 weeks later...