Pve damage compared to other classes?

Mashugana

I only have one 70 - a lightning sorc. Is the damage typical? I just do solo heroics and iokath dailies but it feels like I hit like a wet noodle. I set my companion to damage and she is two shotting things.

I don't care about pvp or ops. I'm just curious if my experience is typical.

I have almost all slots with 230 gear. Is there a rotation trick? Different spec? Or should I try another class if I just want that feeling of ripping up heroics and dailies for giggles

Thanks for any advice - I am having fun - I just have nothing to compare the sorc to and see if I might have more fun with a change

I only have one 70 - a lightning sorc. Is the damage typical? I just do solo heroics and iokath dailies but it feels like I hit like a wet noodle. I set my companion to damage and she is two shotting things.

I don't care about pvp or ops. I'm just curious if my experience is typical.

I have almost all slots with 230 gear. Is there a rotation trick? Different spec? Or should I try another class if I just want that feeling of ripping up heroics and dailies for giggles

Thanks for any advice - I am having fun - I just have nothing to compare the sorc to and see if I might have more fun with a change

Lightning sorc is indeed one of the lowest DPS in the game but for what you do you should be totally fine. For farming heroics sorc is one of the best, you have very easy AoE. You can precast Chain Lightning -> Force Storm -> Chain Lightning which will do tons of damage to even elites in heroics. Or just do Force storm -> Chain Lightning -> Force storm -> repeat. Sorc has one of the burstiest AoE combos, for doing dailies and heroics it is the better class despite having lower sustained DPS.

You might want to check a guide on Dulfy or just read through combat logs on Parsely if you feel like you are doing something wrong in Single target rotation.

TK/Lightning is fine compared to other ranged burst dps.

Balance/Madness needs about 300 (3%) more dps to be similar to IO Merc, Eng Sniper and Viru Sniper - ranged sustain dps specs.

I'd like them to redesign the class actually, too much force lightning spam(more dps than lightning strike unless it crits), it's pretty boring when the optimal rotation for a spec involves mostly spamming 1 ability and the dps the 2 primary dots do is pretty pathetic.

Quasi-Sustained* :rak_03:

which pulls the same damage as a pure "sustained" spec-mind you I have no problem with that as in general snipers and mercs are very well designed now especially once IO gets the better dot spread after 5.6. Madness/Balance is the ugly duckling in ranged dps right now. Bioware should make demolish and lightning strike hit harder off the 4 wrath stack procs and also increase Death Field aoe again slightly -then it would be similar in terms of strength to the other ranged sustained dps specs.

So what is the standard single target priority? Do you just spam Lightning Bolt and Lightning Flash? Or do you go through the whole setup of applying Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Thundering Blast > Shock to get all the extra damage?

Groups are easy - I just alternate Lightning Storm and Chain Lightning. But I have not found a grove for taking single targets that does not feel overly complex.

Thanks again

So what is the standard single target priority? Do you just spam Lightning Bolt and Lightning Flash? Or do you go through the whole setup of applying Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Thundering Blast > Shock to get all the extra damage?

Groups are easy - I just alternate Lightning Storm and Chain Lightning. But I have not found a grove for taking single targets that does not feel overly complex.

Thanks again

Your go-to ability, the pivot of the spec, is Lightning Bolt. With this in mind you only have a few more things to think about.

You should prioritize your ability usage like this:

1. Affliction on target

2. Thundering Blast

3. Crushing Darkness (ONLY with cast reduction)

4. Lightning Flash

5. Shock (ONLY with Crushing Darkness on target)

6. Chain Lightning (ONLY with Instant Proc)

If all of the above are checked off/on cooldown, then you hit that pivot, Lightning Bolt.

A standard opener on a single target without using offensive cooldowns would look like this:

Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Thundering Blast > Chain Lightning > Lightning Flash > Spam Lightning Bolt

If you are fighting a Champion-Gold-Silver border mob and have time to pre-cast Crushing Darkness on an enemy, do it. This is because when you start out of combat, you have all the time in the world to get the 2-Second cast off so why not? It applies a debuff to the target for 45 seconds that will increase the damage of all the rest of your abilities. The next thing you press is Affliction because it is instant and makes TB an automatic crit, and because your other abilities (CD and CL) refresh Affliction on the target meaning you never have to press Affliction again. With this opening you have already hit the target TWICE without taking any aggro or damage.

Disclaimers:

1. If you are already in combat and do not have the luxury to pre-cast Crushing Darkness, then just follow the above priority instead of trying to do the aforementioned "opener" on a new target. It is a total waste of time to hard-cast without the reduction if already in combat.

2. Never use Shock unless; Crushing Darkness is applied; you have to move; or the target will die before you would be able to cast another Lightning Bolt... It does less damage than Lightning Bolt and provides no other benefit otherwise.

3. Never hard-cast Chain Lightning, only use it when it's instant proc.

It's really not overly complex, once you practice it a few times it will become second nature.

Hope this was helpful

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...