The future of SWTOR

BarbLindemann

Is it true that the dev team went to work on that failed game Anthem ? Does that mean new DLCs and story content will never come ? Or will it take 5 -10 years ? Is this the end of SWTOR ? It pains me to read about all this, that they threw this game to thrash because of a game that nobody plays/likes ? This is the only game I could ever truly immerse, the story is so great and I actually care about my characters choices. When was the last time we got a true DLC ? 2016 ? How many people are in the SWTOR dev team right now ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that the dev team went to work on that failed game Anthem ? Does that mean new DLCs and story content will never come ? Or will it take 5 -10 years ? Is this the end of SWTOR ? It pains me to read about all this, that they threw this game to thrash because of a game that nobody plays/likes ? This is the only game I could ever truly immerse, the story is so great and I actually care about my characters choices. When was the last time we got a true DLC ? 2016 ? How many people are in the SWTOR dev team right now ?

Yes some did. Regarding story we are still getting updates and the last expansion was Onslaught. We are getting more content in December and likely more for the 10th anniversary. Covid delayed the story updates. Not sure how many are working in it but it is a smaller team. The game is still going strong however.

Yes some did. Regarding story we are still getting updates and the last expansion was Onslaught. We are getting more content in December and likely more for the 10th anniversary. Covid delayed the story updates. Not sure how many are working in it but it is a smaller team. The game is still going strong however.

Anthem is a running bad joke for SWTOR players, and still a bit of a sore spot for some. EA/BW will never reveal the details, let alone the full unabridged truth, but we can surmise pretty well due to the sudden and dramatic shifts we witnessed in SWTOR development and support at the time and since.

More content, this December (2020), maybe, Soon™

- (dev reminder: proof the patch notes before publishing them).

Next year... there are still quite a few hurdles (and at least one major one) to get over between now and then, so only time will tell.

Going Strong... well, its still going, so we'll stick with that. The pandemic certainly did not help things in general, but otoh it may have been equal parts help and hindrance in the grander scheme of things (doubt we'll ever really know on those stories either).

"Covid delayed the story updates." - Lies. There wasn't pandemic on 2019 and we had only one bigger story update too. Guild Wars 2 has 3x more per year.

~ Tsukito, Alliance Commander

as did ESO, FFXIV. All of these are either cheaper to play or sub for than SWTOR, or same price. Yet they provide far more content. Pandemic excuse doesn't fly when competition is releasing way more content under the same circumstances and at the same or smaller price. Edited by Pietrastor

as did ESO, FFXIV. All of these are either cheaper to play or sub for than SWTOR, or same price. Yet they provide far more content. Pandemic excuse doesn't fly when competition is releasing way more content under the same circumstances and at the same or smaller price.

I know ESO is but is Final Fantasy fully-voiced? I mean there's a big difference between being able to sit at a word processor and pound out a bunch of quests vs having to have people in a recording studio among other things.

as did ESO, FFXIV. All of these are either cheaper to play or sub for than SWTOR, or same price. Yet they provide far more content. Pandemic excuse doesn't fly when competition is releasing way more content under the same circumstances and at the same or smaller price.

They were in the middle of working on it when thd pandemic shut down the studios. That is a fact.

I don't mind waiting for a new content. Even if they needed way more time than other mmos. Its just really sad to know that we aren't waiting so long because they are trying to do the best job they can but rather because they moved on on some other project which had already failed hard.

It is true but it doesn't mean SWTOR gets less content. In the end they are not making their money with content so as far as I'm concerned they will keep pushing out CM items and invest as little as possible with regards to content. Just enough to keep most players playing.

SWTOR never got a true expansion. From the start they were very small compared to other MMOs out there. And they have the tendency to bring out half the expansion on release and then finish off the rest of it to tie over the time to the next expansion.

Look at the level cap raises. They add more levels but zero reason other than to add more levels. We only got like maybe 1-2 new skills and so they stretch out the same leveling progression (skill acquisition, utility slots, etc.) over 25 more levels. And the new content is small from a story point of view but you get massive xp just to cover the level gap. So from the outside it looks like other MMOs that raise level caps except in SWTOR it's just for show and there is no content or additional skills to warrant those levels.

In my view it's the CM that keeps the game alive and not fresh new content. The fact that SWTOR has stayed alive like this for most of its existence is remarkable to say the least. But apparently most people are happy enough with this. I mean, I keep coming back to it. It's the only SW MMO out there though and there isn't anything I like better. And as long as that's the case, well, I guess, I'll keep coming back here. I did dramatically reduce my spending on this game though. So there is that.

...with crap engine and a bit outdated graphic...

A while back they announced that there would be a re-fresh / graphical revamp / something of the kind on the starter worlds, then I made the mistake of posting a thread asking basically let's not hold EA back on making a concerted effort to improve the graphics by wailing how bad your outdated computers are.

Guess what.

People wailed about how bad their outdated computers are and we haven't heard a word about a starter planet refresh since.

That'll teach me.

SWTOR still exist with minimal funds on it. Almost 9 years from 2011 with crap engine and a bit outdated graphic, especially in vanilla.

Anthem became crap so fast, nothing to do, no end game, nothing.

Let's invest in Anthem its good.

Also - Mass Effect Andromeda DLC getting killed, Dragon Age 4 delayed 28373th time for a 284646th restart of the whole dev process, Jade Empire & KOTOR IPs staying dormant, popular and proven SWTOR recieving minimal content. And yet, 7 years for Anthem's initial developement and now already close to 2 years on "fixing" it. It is trully astonishing just how much money, time, manpower and resources Bioware wants to dump into that game at the expense of literally every other project of theirs. A loot-shooter with next-to-none RPG that made Bioware famous. I mean???? :rak_02: Edited by Pietrastor

A while back they announced that there would be a re-fresh / graphical revamp / something of the kind on the starter worlds, then I made the mistake of posting a thread asking basically let's not hold EA back on making a concerted effort to improve the graphics by wailing how bad your outdated computers are.

Guess what.

People wailed about how bad their outdated computers are and we haven't heard a word about a starter planet refresh since.

That'll teach me.

That's not EAs area with the game. That's Bioware's area.

Bioware developes it.

Lucasarts give the thumbs up or down

EA is the distributor. EA creates no content.

Edited by Cryalis

EA won't supply Bioware enough money for anything major.

Instead EA releases just enough to keep their micro transaction program going.

Lately EA has totally disregarded what fans want in all their games.

They've also ignored Bioware and any ideas Bioware wants for the game.

EA is looking for quick money and ignores subscriber money.

EA has done Fallen Order and Squadrons under Disney's scrutiny Disney does not want micro transactions in their games.

Personally I don't mine them but don't like them making it the forefront of their content.

SWTOR was grandfathered into the Disney buyout of the Star Wars franchise otherwise you wouldn't have micro-transactions now.

Content is not Bioware or LucasArts fault...it's on EA not wanting to pay the former in creating new content of any significant size.

Surprised as Mandalorian is a big success and has brought many new gamers to SWTOR.

Streaming has also brought many to the game.

I'm stumped as to why they aren't making the investment SWTOR is a solid MMO game.

EA made the mistake of over spending on the trailers rather then game content.

Going strong is subjective. We haven't really had much story in the last 4yrs. A few hours at most. it's sad given the revenue this game still makes. Not much goes back into it

I know ESO is but is Final Fantasy fully-voiced? I mean there's a big difference between being able to sit at a word processor and pound out a bunch of quests vs having to have people in a recording studio among other things.

ESO is not fully voiced. I have *never* heard my character's voice over there. Its conversations are more like SWTOR's "KOTOR-style" conversations.

Going strong is subjective. We haven't really had much story in the last 4yrs. A few hours at most. it's sad given the revenue this game still makes. Not much goes back into it

KOTET was released Dec 2, 2016, so yeah, four years.

We've had dribs and drabs since, but after the hugely and oddly negative flood of comments about KOTFE and KOTET, after BW knocked themselves out to build those expansions (admit it: they were gorgeous, fully voiced, with a complete story arc) I don't think BW is going to roll out a huge expansion again, ever.

Easy enough to understand why: BW rolls out a huge expansion, gets trashed for it.

Why do something huge again, just to have so much of the player base roundly dismiss it?

I loved both KOTFE and KOTET, their freshness, their originality, but the player base's general (general) reaction demonstrated it's not worth Bioware's time to make another large expansion.

Instead, we got a pitchfork rebellion of people screaming more imp versus pub!

Well, freaking stale the first time around, and recooked, it ain't any better, but that's what they're shoving at us now because that's what they heard the loudest, but there's no reason to build an entire expansion just to re-hash an over-told worn-out story arc.

Edited by xordevoreaux

KOTET was released Dec 2, 2016, so yeah, four years.

We've had dribs and drabs since, but after the hugely and oddly negative flood of comments about KOTFE and KOTET, after BW knocked themselves out to build those expansions (admit it: they were gorgeous, fully voiced, with a complete story arc) I don't think BW is going to roll out a huge expansion again, ever.

Easy enough to understand why: BW rolls out a huge expansion, gets trashed for it.

Why do something huge again, just to have so much of the player base roundly dismiss it?

I loved both KOTFE and KOTET, their freshness, their originality, but the player base's general (general) reaction demonstrated it's not worth Bioware's time to make another large expansion.

Instead, we got a pitchfork rebellion of people screaming more imp versus pub!

Well, freaking stale the first time around, and recooked, it ain't any better, but that's what they're shoving at us now because that's what they heard the loudest, but there's no reason to build an entire expansion just to re-hash an over-told worn-out story arc.

I think that has a few reason's why the general playerbase didn't lke Kotfe, and Kotet.

1) Kotfe had 0 content for multiplayer activites (other then giving Red Reaper a MM version).

2) Kotet had 1 Operation for the entire expansion which was slowly dribbled out 1 boss at a time for close t a year, and over time also added Umbara, Traitor among the chiss, and the Nathema conspiracy FP's. (From what I see not many enjoyed those from the general playerbase.)

3) Not many people seemed to like the story itself for Kotfe, and Kotet. It only really made any sense for 4 out of the 8 classes. Playing it as a non force user it just didn't work.

4) The way the chapters work the consistent spawning of new skytroopers that you couldn't stealth past made it annoying for any person who played a stealth class.

I'm sure I'm missing additional reasons, but those are the ones I've noticed.

I also think BW added the skip to Ossus option because they realized how many players were not playing those 2 expansions, and wanting to move on to the better storyline of Ossus, and Onslaught.

I also think BW added the skip to Ossus option because they realized how many players were not playing those 2 expansions, and wanting to move on to the better storyline of Ossus, and Onslaught.

Some would argue with you that those aren't any better, because they still involve the likes of Lana and Theron so haven't really completely freed themselves from the KOTFE/KOTET story line.

Imp versus pub.

Pub versus imp.

Forever.

How many more times can creatively challenged writers resurrect dead darths in a bid to eke out yet another imp versus pub plot point while they struggle to write the next one?

Like the universe eventually experiencing heat death, the mindless rehashing of imp vs. pub will slowly push all other story-telling options into the ethersphere, until even re-hashing over-used imp vs. pub plot points cannot be sustained...

Edited by xordevoreaux