It's great to PVE with no Damage Meters

Neeseek

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

It has everything to do with guild control freaks kicking people for not being up to snuff instead of teaching them. Name one guild that actually taught people instead of just g-kicking them and removing them from the raid.

What's that? No response? It's ok.

I want a damage meter. It has nothing to do with linking it so that everyone knows i'm the best, and everything to do with knowing who which of our 4 raid healers isn't healing, so we can teach him. Nightmare mode raiding will be rough :(

I want a dmg meter purely for my own information, if it doesn't have the ability to link that is fine by me. Just want to know my output for given spec/rotation.

i like your sig's implications

Edited by ryathal

This is a difficult subject. The above posts that give reasons supporting a DPS meter are right on. However, the negative are there, too:

People using them to brag

People chasing getting a higher DPS so that they just stand there and try to max it out and forego doing other things like moving away from damage, killing things in a more strategic order, crowd control, or throwing out any non-damage abilities that might help the group

People getting kicked from a group because their DPS numbers are below whatever the group leader deems acceptable (in some cases this can be fair, but in others not so much - this varies on a case by case basis, admittedly)

Anyway, I think there are very strong arguments on both sides of this one. For me, I prefer not having a DPS meter. However the arguments in favor of having it are good enough that I really can't argue strongly about it.

I want a damage meter. It has nothing to do with linking it so that everyone knows i'm the best, and everything to do with knowing who which of our 4 raid healers isn't healing, so we can teach him. Nightmare mode raiding will be rough :(

But believe it or not thats what would happen. People would link it every 10 min.

But believe it or not thats what would happen. People would link it every 10 min.

You know how I feel about those people linking meters every 10 min? I pity them. I feel genuine pity for them. They are in such need of validation that they shamelessly try to flaunt their so called skill at the game.

Edited by JogelBolla

fantastic, I can finally enjoy flashpoints without some kid linking his meter every 3 mins to brag.

what a blast, thanks for not including a combat log bioware!

True its great fun.

I am not a dps but I know that many dps do silly mistakes because they feel pushed to top dps meters, as they are afraid to be kicked if they dont.

For me as tank this is kinda annoying, so I do support it that we dont have such tools in the game.

I'll say this. I kind of agree with the pro-DPS meter side a little bit. However, my threshold for getting rid people is different than for some.

Let's say the expected baseline DPS is 1000. I wouldn't experience rage and indignation at someone doing 800 and instantly kick them out of the group. Where it's useful to me is to find the person doing 300 and either (if possible) see if I can help them improve or politely ask them to leave.

What makes me really irritated is the guy spamming his best AoE damage ability to get the best numbers in lieu of actually fighting with the best interests of the group at heart.

Bad attitudes and elitism about DPS numbers are bad, but I can admit people who aren't pulling their own weight and are holding the group back are hard to take, too.

I'd rather see an activity "meter" of sorts, there's no real need to see damage but it would be helpful to see a meter sliding between "Inactive" and "Active" status to actually monitor slackers.

Oh nice this is a good one. It will monitor there classes "expected" activity and giving maybe a % on what they are doing?

How can you optimize your damage output if you don't even know what it is. Damage meters are there to show slackers and baddies.

Which is it? Optimize damage, or show slackers and baddies?

See? This is what I don't like about them.

what if a combat log and the consequential combat log parser / damage meter will show that class CLASSNAME has +XX% dmg output of all the others? What if turns out a spec is ridiculously dominant over the others?...What if it turns out the game is not balanced (well enough)?

This is a conspiracy. No combat log = we can't see how balanced (or not) is the game.

No DMG meters doesn't only mean You (random reader) can slack for whichever reason in Flash Points and Operations, it also means that the Developers themselves can slack and work lets say on more "cosmetic" changes ingame that may appeal the players more, than a well balanced class system.

They are watching.

I'm not delusional. My mom got me checked (<3)