Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Doc Is Coming Back <3 (This Is a Positive Thread)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Doc Is Coming Back <3 (This Is a Positive Thread)

Lunafox
11.14.2018 , 05:35 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by MishaCantu View Post

I rather like Doc, you just have to get through the layers of 'machismo' to see he's not so bad after all and rather sweet under all the bluster.

My other JK is waiting for Scourge, but that's another story.
Agreed, and especially on Lord Scourge. <3

aerockyul
11.14.2018 , 06:33 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Swingkittie View Post
Agree completely!
As a straight female player, there are hardly any worthwhile romances in the game as it is - especially in vanilla. I liked Doc the best because -- well I like being flirted with!! Also, I liked that he pursues the knight unlike the other romances are initiated by the player. Quinn is a good example of the player throwing herself at him until he finally reciprocates. It was refreshing to be the one getting pursued for a change. Now, I am not discounting "sweet on the eyes" Theron, who is my 2nd favorite, but at least Doc doesn't do things to jeopardize the relationship (*coughs* Theron, *coughs* Quinn).
Whenever I play through with Quinn he is the one initiating, he's just not as forward about it as Doc. He tiptoes around it. I like dragging it along because he will eventually break and "say what he means" and I like the way he handles it at that point. You can skip all of that and just throw yourself at him, of course.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Cara, Vaisis, SelaunaKahntara, Katie Jak, Reeyen, Kaytee'roxx
Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Eko'va, Misphire
Portrait Gallery ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

aerockyul
11.14.2018 , 06:45 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
It's sad that all this companion bickering is still going on since last year.
People who always seem to "fight" with each other should just really put each other on block. Instead of making yourself seem like "insert word here"
It'll stop when people stop baiting others on purpose and pretending like they weren't the ones who derailed the thread. I agree "ignore" is both party's friend just to avoid the petty animosity.

I don't know why people like living in bubbles where opposing thoughts should be blocked/ignored/ridiculed, but that's the times, I guess. "Groupthink" was a good thing in that one book I read, IIRC
Keeya, Lill'ya, Cara, Vaisis, SelaunaKahntara, Katie Jak, Reeyen, Kaytee'roxx
Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Eko'va, Misphire
Portrait Gallery ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

Seireeni
11.15.2018 , 01:25 AM | #74
Well, baiting is one thing, but people can also choose to not take the bait. There will always be people who look for drama. We can choose not engage.

I don't mind talking about characters with people who don't like said characters as long as the discussion stays respectful. It's somewhat sad there's really no place for that anymore, it's mostly just these love threads. Or maybe I'm just pipedreaming, respectful disagreements on the internet, what's that.

Anyway, I like that Doc is returning, though I'll have a tough time deciding whether my twi'lek sentinel will stay with Theron or take him back... Thankfully I have a chiss sentinel who stayed faithful to him in either case. but this thread seems like it might be more drama than I'm comfortable with.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

Eshvara
11.15.2018 , 05:20 AM | #75
Anyway!
What was Doc's letter again? 👀
#Arcannite
For The Empire

Inspirals
11.15.2018 , 07:12 AM | #76
Having watched my wife play through the Doc romance (never again, she said), I would have to describe his behaviour as blatant sexual harassment. He reminds me of those disgraced 1970's DJ's in the UK who, after receiving a jail sentence for gross sexual misconduct and lewd behaviour many years later, would claim "it was all just harmless banter in those days."
There's a reason the #MeToo movement so quickly gained traction, Doc would be immediately suspended in any decent workplace for the way he behaves, and correctly so.

Seireeni
11.15.2018 , 07:38 AM | #77
Were Doc a real person, his behavior would likely not be tolerated in a workplace, yes. It's going a bit far and can make people uncomfortable.

However, he's not a real person, he's a character in a video game, and his behavior is part of the reason at least I like him. It's hilarious to watch him try and fail at hitting on every woman in the room, and it's just as funny to come up with great comebacks when he's flirting with the PC. he also has some nice personal growth during the romance, which partially possible because he is so over the top at the beginning.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

Sarova
11.15.2018 , 07:56 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Inspirals View Post
Having watched my wife play through the Doc romance (never again, she said), I would have to describe his behaviour as blatant sexual harassment. He reminds me of those disgraced 1970's DJ's in the UK who, after receiving a jail sentence for gross sexual misconduct and lewd behaviour many years later, would claim "it was all just harmless banter in those days."
There's a reason the #MeToo movement so quickly gained traction, Doc would be immediately suspended in any decent workplace for the way he behaves, and correctly so.
I don't think there are enough facepalms and eyerolls in the universe for this comment. Making flirty comments/verbal advances and sexually touching someone inappropriately are two different things. I don't once recall Doc behaving physically inappropriately and if you don't like his flirts you can stop him pretty quickly by choosing the right answers.

SWTOR allows a number of what could be considered sexist behaviours especially for male players (the most prominent being bikini style outfits only available to place on female characters leading to countless scantilly-clad-slave-style female companions seen everywhere in the game) but so what? It's the players fantasy choice. It's a game after all not real life. If you are offended so badly by Doc & the Doc romance a) this is not the thread for you and b) this is not the game for you.

I like that straight female players get the option of a flirty male companion like Doc who pursues the player character. When I've played through as I've said previously, I see most of what Doc says is bravado covering up his complete insecurity of being besotted with the Knight from their first meeting (if you play through the romance).

My ignore list is getting longer by the day. Do people just sit at their computers thinking up more and more ridiculous ways to piss people off?
Quinn Treats
6.0: more ♥ Quinn ♥ Aric ♥ Theron ♥ Doc ♥ please
My Rishi
Magical Clicky Link

Ackerprincess
11.15.2018 , 10:26 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Swingkittie View Post
Agree completely!
As a straight female player, there are hardly any worthwhile romances in the game as it is - especially in vanilla. I liked Doc the best because -- well I like being flirted with!! Also, I liked that he pursues the knight unlike the other romances are initiated by the player. Quinn is a good example of the player throwing herself at him until he finally reciprocates. It was refreshing to be the one getting pursued for a change. Now, I am not discounting "sweet on the eyes" Theron, who is my 2nd favorite, but at least Doc doesn't do things to jeopardize the relationship (*coughs* Theron, *coughs* Quinn).

Now I won't get into the agent one because it always bothered me that they gave female players a love interest with some issue so I always held back with Vector's romance - yes it "bugged" me! The warrior one - yikes yea give a handsome companion who betrays her trust and love. I guess they liked that one because the writers decided to have Theron do that to everyone!

At least I don't have to worry about Doc doing those things. I will take lots of loving and flirting any day over some of the other companion options we got. Plus we have lots of time to cultivate that relationship. At least we didn't get him on Hoth and have to rush through the relationship like with other companions.

Oh and Doc's default look is the best in my opinion!
Didn't think about it until now but I just realized Doc and Quinn are complete opposites. Was this intentional to contrast the Knight and Warrior or just coincidental?

Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Whenever I play through with Quinn he is the one initiating, he's just not as forward about it as Doc. He tiptoes around it. I like dragging it along because he will eventually break and "say what he means" and I like the way he handles it at that point. You can skip all of that and just throw yourself at him, of course.
I can attest to this. You can most definitely change the pacing of the romance depending on how you talk to him. My Jugg only flirted with him a little bit while my Mara came onto him pretty strong.
Want free SWTOR stuff? Look no further!
link for a bunch of free goodies and extended subscriber time!

Inspirals
11.15.2018 , 11:36 AM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarova View Post
I don't think there are enough facepalms and eyerolls in the universe for this comment. Making flirty comments/verbal advances and sexually touching someone inappropriately are two different things. I don't once recall Doc behaving physically inappropriately and if you don't like his flirts you can stop him pretty quickly by choosing the right answers.

SWTOR allows a number of what could be considered sexist behaviours especially for male players (the most prominent being bikini style outfits only available to place on female characters leading to countless scantilly-clad-slave-style female companions seen everywhere in the game) but so what? It's the players fantasy choice. It's a game after all not real life. If you are offended so badly by Doc & the Doc romance a) this is not the thread for you and b) this is not the game for you.

I like that straight female players getting the option of a flirty male companion like Doc who pursues the player character is great. When I've played through as I've said previously, I see most of what Doc says is bravado covering up his complete insecurity of being besotted with the Knight from their first meeting (if you play through the romance).

My ignore list is getting longer by the day. Do people just sit at their computers thinking up more and more ridiculous ways to piss people off?
You seem completely ignorant of what sexual harassment actually is. You believe the only way to sexually harass someone is by touching them inappropriately? I think you need to educate yourself.
Doc behaves like he does because he's a pig, not because it's "bravado covering up insecurity", he's clearly been behaving like that well before he meets the Jedi Knight, with women he's not at all besotted with, so your comment makes no sense there either.
"This is not the thread for you"- it's a thread about Doc on a public discussion forum, if you want positive comments only take it to private chat.
"This is not the game for you"- thanks for the advice, but I have a great time playing this game and have no trouble ignoring Doc in-game, public forums are a separate issue entirely, again you made very little sense with your comment.