Completely unimpressed

Kahyman

This ranks at maybe 3 of 10 for a space flight game. I'm not even sure I can give it a 1 out of 10 for a Stars Wars "experience". Simply junk. Sorry Devs... I know you work hard, but maybe you should lynch your creative bosses or the guy who created the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned Focus Group.

I'm an experienced pilot, and experienced gamer and this flight experience belongs as a free ap on my kid's phone. Really.

You've re-invented the wheel but went with the square one this time.

Overly controlled flight area. Junk for flight controls. Limited to a mini game pvp match. Can't easily use a joystick (I got it to work with my Saitek Cyborg X, but this just really made me miss any number of QUALITY flight games more)

Yes, I can kill the other guys out there... no it isn't fun... simple maneuvers and having the computer do your Immelman's, Loops, and Rolls is just junk. You have reduced it to chase the arrow and click.

SWG (much as I hate SOE), WarThuder, Eve, so so many more out there with better concepts and execution. You can do better Bioware.

Sounds like you were expecting a completely different game.

I don't play a ton of starfighter games, not my thing. Some free flight mixed with my MMO? Yes, please. This reminds me of the flight level in Halo: Reach. I didn't care for it there, as it seemed shoe-horned in. But here, this seems just the right complexity and just the right side.

For someone who hated it, I was surprised you included "Imperial Pilot" in your sig. Hopefully you can find a full joystiq free flight space game. This isn't it, and clearly won't be.

This ranks at maybe 3 of 10 for a space flight game. I'm not even sure I can give it a 1 out of 10 for a Stars Wars "experience". Simply junk. Sorry Devs... I know you work hard, but maybe you should lynch your creative bosses or the guy who created the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned Focus Group.

I'm an experienced pilot, and experienced gamer and this flight experience belongs as a free ap on my kid's phone. Really.

You've re-invented the wheel but went with the square one this time.

Overly controlled flight area. Junk for flight controls. Limited to a mini game pvp match. Can't easily use a joystick (I got it to work with my Saitek Cyborg X, but this just really made me miss any number of QUALITY flight games more)

Yes, I can kill the other guys out there... no it isn't fun... simple maneuvers and having the computer do your Immelman's, Loops, and Rolls is just junk. You have reduced it to chase the arrow and click.

SWG (much as I hate SOE), WarThuder, Eve, so so many more out there with better concepts and execution. You can do better Bioware.

ODS? Who were you?

Riôt

[...]I'm an experienced pilot, and experienced gamer and this flight experience belongs as a free ap on my kid's phone. Really.[...]

Apparently you are not an experienced software developer.

Regarding the joystick controls, I was quite sceptical when I read "mouse only", because I can remember playing Tie Fighter with a mouse before I had a joystick. That was awful!

Mouse controls in GSF? Maybe not optimal but much better than I had expected.

Edited by Shoraan

Apparently you are not an experienced software developer.

Regarding the joystick controls, I was quite sceptical when I read "mouse only", because I can remember playing Tie Fighter with a mouse before I had a joystick. That was awful!

Mouse controls in GSF? Maybe not optimal but much better than I had expected.

I love when people want to throw lines like this around as if they know what they're talking about. What the hell does being an "experienced software developer" have to do with this? Are you suggesting that the reason native joystick support isn't featured is due to a difficulty in implementing it? I hope that isn't what you were inferring with your comment, because that'd be the most erroneous statement I've ever heard in a good while.

I love when people want to throw lines like this around as if they know what they're talking about. What the hell does being an "experienced software developer" have to do with this? Are you suggesting that the reason native joystick support isn't featured is due to a difficulty in implementing it? I hope that isn't what you were inferring with your comment, because that'd be the most erroneous statement I've ever heard in a good while.

I was referring to his statement that I quoted (I tried to be witty, hence using the word "experienced"):

"[...]I'm an experienced pilot, and experienced gamer and this flight experience belongs as a free ap on my kid's phone. Really.[...]"

Stating that a flight sim game of the size of GSF should be a free app on a phone is simply ridiculous. Obviously I don't have any real numbers, but my guess is that the development, design and test cost of that project would be something between 5000 and 20000 hours.

Regarding the joystick support, I believe that it was simply a design decision ("should we do it?" instead of "can we do it?"). Perhaps because of accessibility for those who don't have a joystick. Maybe a number of other reasons, but certainly not lack of programming skills.

You do realize they pulled this off in an engine that was never meant for any kind of twitch-based flight combat, period? I don't like many things BW did with the game, but that's an achievement in on itself.

I see this as an obvious beta of the changes they did to the engine. Come on, we don't even have all the fighter classes yet and only two maps. So treat it as such, you got it for free.

Perhaps because of accessibility for those who don't have a joystick. Maybe a number of other reasons, but certainly not lack of programming skills.

Actually I'd really like to hear their reasons. It could't possibly be because not many people have one. We're not talking about an 80-100 naga mouse here, those logitech PS styled controllers are like 20 dollars. I've got three of them laying around that I bought just for SWG's (well two of them are partially broken from my own rage but that's another story). In fact I always get two, one for back up when I inevitably throw it against the wall.

Anyone that's played any racing game, madden football or other sports game on the PC will have one.

Edited by Ridickilis

ODS? Who were you?

Riôt

Khaymen was the toon's name, flew all kinds of joint PvP events (and even did some ground) up until the last two years of SWG. The wife (Sunkaisia) was even all about her Oppy and chasing some of the better Rebels with missile locks. :) fun times with good people on both sides.

And, on mature consideration: I can say the Devs did implement what they chose (or were directed to build) in good fashion. The battles launch, the fighters work well together in their roles. As some of the "witty" folks said, it is definitely not what I was expecting or even remotely hoping to see in such a large MMO bearing the Stars Wars franchise. Not digging at the folks who like it. Just an honest opinion to help protect the wallets of people who have the same hopes I did for this expansion...

I still feel it doesn't add well to the "Star Wars Experience", but that is just me sharing.

Edited by Kahyman