Close range shots do not connect. Whats the deal here.

-Damask-

Why do weapons list a DPS rating for <500m when every time I get that close to an enemy I rarely hit anything. Unless we are both at a dead stop any shots fired at extreme close range all seem to miss, despite my cursor being dead center of his targeting reticle. Especially during head to head encounters and perpendicular encounters. But get a little farther away and they start to do damage again. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have seen that issue as well. No idea what might be causing this.

Also, I saw the same problem with locking missiles. You simply cannot get a lock if too close, just like lasers cannot hit the target.

This may be an artefact of our camera being behind our ship, and when someone is really close they're actually on top of our ship and so weapons cannot track. Still, it certainly looks strange. :)

As a scout you can have overall 40% passive evasion with lightweight armor and distortion field. While distortion field have an active ability to give 75% evasion (if upgraded) for 3 seconds. I really enjoy it, to shoot enemies into oblivion at frontal close range while not getting a single hit :p.

Edit: forget it, didn't realise it's about a range of 500m

Edited by Avanael

Some possible reasons:

1) Your weapons have a Tracking penalty to accuracy that comes into play any time you are firing somewhere that is not directly in front of you. So any time you are aiming at something while turning, you are also inherently less accurate. You can see the rating if you turn on detailed tooltips. (Example: Light laser cannon has a -1% per degree Tracking penalty)

2) If you are turning quickly or moving fast with a close target, the place where the damage number would have appeared on your screen can be out of your field of view before it pops up.

3) If you are *very* close, you can't shoot someone. By very close I mean almost touching. I don't know what is up with that.

I have seen that issue as well. No idea what might be causing this.

Also, I saw the same problem with locking missiles. You simply cannot get a lock if too close, just like lasers cannot hit the target.

This may be an artefact of our camera being behind our ship, and when someone is really close they're actually on top of our ship and so weapons cannot track. Still, it certainly looks strange. :)

I noticed this with my clusters this weekend. A number of times I would be under 1200m behind a target and my missle lock would not engage. I'm thinking it's a server->home/ lag issue because I was quickly tapping lock-on, trying to lead my target (hidden GCD?)

We can probably also add in the possibility of client-server difference. Where you think they are and where the server thinks they are sometimes are two different things. GSF acts really smoothly for an online game, but I would imagine right on the edge of the firing range or right up in their face can potentially cause problems.

I was educated by the forums on this previously...

Due to the high angle of attack you (and your opponent) take a severe accuracy penalty.

This game isn't 100% based on simply hitting the lead reticule.

I always assumed it was a combination of this and your enemy's evasion stat. Which is one reason I think accuracy/evasion should be removed since it in essence allows you to miss for no other reason than an unlucky RNG result.

In a sad way I think the PvE space-on-rails is more fun in that regard: accuracy is based solely on my ability to aim and if I miss it's cause my aim was off not because some RNG decided that I should miss. If they combined the PvE space method of accuracy based on player ability with all the current GSF non-accuracy/evasion stats/abilities I think the game would be even more fun than it already is.