Darkness spec Defense/Shield/Absorption ratings

ValtorKeev

To all the geared tanks out there!

What augments would you recommend going for at this point?

In full MK-2 duelist gear, I have 24% defense chance, 29.7% shield chance, and 33% shield absorption. Far cry from the previous 34/64/62 I had back at L50. It seems that stats across the board are less inflated now. Now, of course, I'm not after the "golden goose" of hp. The massively exaggerated hp numbers are for epeen-flexion. With 36k, I've had no trouble staying alive in the current content. Thank the makers for our cooldowns. Anyway, that's not even mentioning that a set of 72s alone would drastically boost hp.

So! Straight up Def/Shield/Absorb? If so, what are the ideal numbers these days? Along with percentages, would you mind giving me a specific rating per stat?

Thanks, guys!

Dump the Implants and Ear pieces and get you a set of the crafted 54's with Shield/Def/Absorb (ear piece has all three) They have less endurance than the BM or UW stuff but more defensive stats. Also I go all Absorb since that stat seems to have the Higher DR and you have to split the def point pool between def and absorb where as shield is on a different line. But as far as I can tell with gearing Def should be around 23-25% with stim for Arkanian and Underworld gear.

Also look at this thread for a better view of stat splits http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616779.

Edited by XisscVekno
Adding thread link.

You may also want to check out:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=567164

While there isn't anything wrong with KeyboardNinja's thread, I tend to find that I prefer Dipstik's notion of stacking mitigation to be superior to stacking endurance. That may be a gross simplification of KBN's point of view, and their ideal numbers are slowly getting closer and closer, I feel much more tanky after dumping a little over 2k health and gaining over 300 mitigation rating.

You may also want to check out:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=567164

While there isn't anything wrong with KeyboardNinja's thread, I tend to find that I prefer Dipstik's notion of stacking mitigation to be superior to stacking endurance. That may be a gross simplification of KBN's point of view, and their ideal numbers are slowly getting closer and closer, I feel much more tanky after dumping a little over 2k health and gaining over 300 mitigation rating.

KeyboardNinja has never advocated stacking Endurance. Pre-2.0, he did advocate B-lettered mods in certain circumstances, as they contributed more to mitigation under ideal conditions than unlettered (via boosted self-heals). That has changed in 2.0 with the significantly higher DTPS giving traditional mitigation more value.

Right now, the only substantive difference between dipstik's numbers and KBN's are that dipstik fixes shield values and KBN floats them within a range. Dipstik's numbers are dependent on BiS enhancements, implants, and earpieces regardless of stat budget, whilst KBN's can produce slightly odd Shield numbers that may not be reasonable to hit on the nose.

They're both working off basically the same equations and the same boss damage data, with only minor differences.

Use both, and understand the strengths and limitations of each of their approaches (notice how small the differences are at this point), and realize that both are guidelines as much as anything, because they indicate the best average mitigation across the entire S&V HM Operation in 1 set of gear, without nitpicking on a boss-per-boss basis.

Depending on your play style, your relic choices, the person you tank with, your tactics, etc. your results will vary from what the math says, and you may find yourself best served by small deviations from their optimal calculations. Realistically, you will never be poorly served by using their numbers as a starting point, and you're not going to find a wildly divergent stat allocation that significantly reduces the damage you take on any boss.

Edited by Omophorus