Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How To Make Ranked Less Toxic - Plz Daddy Musco

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How To Make Ranked Less Toxic - Plz Daddy Musco

Csjbo's Avatar


Csjbo
02.01.2020 , 12:23 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
lmao no. This would completely defeat the point of a rating system and would still have the same problem of people just boosting to ensure they have the highest score.
Not to mention, with no ELO loss, as long as a particpant isn't throwing in a manner so obvious that their teammates report them which could potentially lead to a ban......there really is no disincentive from throwing a match to help a friend.
Shashara | Espallalda | Alvilan | Zas'arod | Tamzina
Jaltina | Scathach | Gamora | Ridiane

Aeneas_Falco's Avatar


Aeneas_Falco
02.01.2020 , 01:24 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Its not thinking outside the box, its just dumb. If you didn't lose rating for a loss then you're just grinding levels. Its like the seasonal rankings in CoD. I'm level 155, but that means squat. I just played a lot. It just becomes a meaningless level.
Not if the points gained per win are weighted based on the composition of the opposing team, both in terms of spec distribution and the combined ranking of the players on that team. Average & below average players who play a lot would earn less points per win than skilled players who play a lot, because they would be losing to more skilled teams or teams that got blessed by the matchmaking fairy. Functionally you wouldn't be able to grind your way to a top spot unless you also had the skill to belong there.

It would require players with skill to play often to maintain their rank versus people of similar skill levels that they are competing with, but I don't see that as a negative.

That isn't to say that one can't prefer the current system or favor an entirely different system than both the current system and one without ELO loss, just that one without ELO loss wouldn't be one you could grind to the top of the leaderboard without skill if points per win varied based on opposition.

septru's Avatar


septru
02.01.2020 , 04:04 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post
Functionally you wouldn't be able to grind your way to a top spot unless you also had the skill to belong there.
You're wrong.

Trash kids would just spam que their way to high elo by no lifing with thousands apon thousands of games.
-Prum, Satele Shan
"The real endgame is general chat."
The only real top 3 operative btw

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
02.01.2020 , 08:16 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post
It would require players with skill to play often to maintain their rank versus people of similar skill levels that they are competing with, but I don't see that as a negative.
You know how you get people to keep playing? You add rating decay so they can't just sit on their rating. Not by adding some stupid "ranked" system that is just grinding levels.

Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco
That isn't to say that one can't prefer the current system or favor an entirely different system than both the current system and one without ELO loss, just that one without ELO loss wouldn't be one you could grind to the top of the leaderboard without skill if points per win varied based on opposition.
This is just straight up false. Even if you had your strange invisible ELO determining whos good or bad, the simple fact that no points are lost could easily lead to even more win trading and bad players 100% grinding to the top because they simply play more. A worse player could end up in top 96 because they played 8 hours a day compared to the actual good player who could only play a few matches a day. ELO would properly adjust for this, but your system would completely break it.