The changes to Bounty Hunter Heat mechanic

Nightkin

A fair long time ago the devs admitted our heat system was very unforgiving and clumsy and had some thoughts about possible changes. The community had mixed reactions but the point is....whats in the loop for this?

I would very much like to hear from a dev if this is still even considered or if the idea got scrapped and we are stuck with the bandaid fixes currently ingame.

A fair long time ago the devs admitted our heat system was very unforgiving and clumsy and had some thoughts about possible changes. The community had mixed reactions but the point is....whats in the loop for this?

I would very much like to hear from a dev if this is still even considered or if the idea got scrapped and we are stuck with the bandaid fixes currently ingame.

It will most likely be revealed with 3.0. I am waiting for the announcement because Im sick of how it currently works.

How are BH/troopers any different than scoundrel/ operatives? Both work on a system of 100, and lose regen the further they dip into the pool. Yeah, it sucks when your pool is exhausted, but L2 manage your energy. At least you don't have to sacrifice HP to get it back, like a sage.

How are BH/troopers any different than scoundrel/ operatives? Both work on a system of 100, and lose regen the further they dip into the pool. Yeah, it sucks when your pool is exhausted, but L2 manage your energy. At least you don't have to sacrifice HP to get it back, like a sage.

Hunters and Troopers only get 5 heat back per tick as opposed to the 8 that an agent or smuggler gets.

I can tell you have no experience with a merc/mando. Operative/scoundrels have two resource types and abilities that only use tactical advantage/upper hand in order to lessen the strain on their energy consumption. Merc/mando have no such alleviation. All our abilities deplete our energy and our regen rate is not as high. Not to mention Op/Scoun get diagnostic scan which in heal spec will regen plenty of energy, quite quickly too. It is not on a cooldown and is free. Mercs/mandos have no additional way of regenerating energy that isn't a cooldown.

Don't talk about consumption/noble sacrifice. Ever since they gave sorcs/sages a free self heal, the downside of using it is almost completely negated. I have never had resource issues on my sorc, but merc is unforgiving.

I can tell you have no experience with a merc/mando. Operative/scoundrels have two resource types and abilities that only use tactical advantage/upper hand in order to lessen the strain on their energy consumption. Merc/mando have no such alleviation. All our abilities deplete our energy and our regen rate is not as high. Not to mention Op/Scoun get diagnostic scan which in heal spec will regen plenty of energy, quite quickly too. It is not on a cooldown and is free. Mercs/mandos have no additional way of regenerating energy that isn't a cooldown.

Don't talk about consumption/noble sacrifice. Ever since they gave sorcs/sages a free self heal, the downside of using it is almost completely negated. I have never had resource issues on my sorc, but merc is unforgiving.

Op/scoundrel only has one ability that uses TA/UH and no energy: Surgical Probe/Emergency Medpack. Lacerate/Flying Fists and Cull/Wounding shots both require energy and TA. While the former refunds some energy on a proc it is rate limited.

Diagnostic Scan restores ~4 energy (3 ticks, ~60% chance to crit, 2 per crit) over the course of a 2 second channel. Merc/Mando gets an auto attack which heals for significantly more and serves a similar function. DPS operatives have no mechanism to restore energy outside of Adrenaline Probe/Cool Head, which doesn't compare to the amount of recovery a talented Pyrotech's Vent Heat will provide, nor do they get a "attack is free and also restores resources" proc. Neither spec gets the talented -8 Heat/6 that Arsenal/Advanced Prototype get. They also do not get an ability which makes a cast free.

The resources absolutely work differently because the classes are fundamentally differently designed despite how similar they seem at first glance. Its almost as though they were designed to be heterogeneous.

Edited by Rocanon

Op/scoundrel only has one ability that uses TA/UH and no energy: Surgical Probe/Emergency Medpack. Lacerate/Flying Fists and Cull/Wounding shots both require energy and TA. While the former refunds some energy on a proc it is rate limited.

Yes, but it gives them free abilities based on an internal cooldown. Not only are they free every few seconds, they are necessary abilities for their respective specs.

Diagnostic Scan restores ~4 energy (3 ticks, ~60% chance to crit, 2 per crit) over the course of a 2 second channel.

Correct, in addition to the passive energy regen that already is working behind the scenes, so you are regenerating energy at an accelerated rate. Merc/Mando are stuck at a max of ~5 at best, no matter what.

Merc/Mando gets an auto attack which heals for significantly more and serves a similar function.

Diagnostic scan even on my non HM geared operative heals for 1119 without crits (Mostly 140-162 gear).

My full 180 BiS Merc only heals ~1250 without crits, and it doesn't help me regen energy other than passive regen which is already less than an operative's passive regen.

I wonder how much of a difference there will at full 180 BiS on my operative healer...

DPS operatives have no mechanism to restore energy outside of Adrenaline Probe/Cool Head, which doesn't compare to the amount of recovery a talented Pyrotech's Vent Heat will provide, nor do they get a "attack is free and also restores resources" proc.

Laceration has a 100% chance to trigger Collateral Strike, restoring 8 energy, and is not limited by ICD.

Lethal Purpose restores 2 energy per poison crit. Which Lethality has no short supply of.

Adrenaline Probe is exactly equivalent to Vent Heat. Both restore 50 energy over 3 seconds.

Both Pyro and lethality lower the cooldown on their respective abilities by 30seconds. They are completely the same.

Only pyro has free rail shot and vent 8 heat every 6 seconds. Whereas cull is free and regens TA, which ends up being equivalent considering we don't have a secondary resource.

Neither spec gets the talented -8 Heat/6 that Arsenal/Advanced Prototype get. They also do not get an ability which makes a cast free.

You're right here, you dont get an additional 1.33 energy regenerated every second. But wait! Operative's have a base 6.0 energy regen rate. Whereas mercs have a base 5.0 energy regen rate. So it's more like that venting 8 heat every 6 seconds is just to bring it up to par with the 6.0 regen rate. Keep in mind Arsenal/AP don't get anything free.

Diagnostic Scan restores ~4 energy (3 ticks, ~60% chance to crit, 2 per crit) over the course of a 2 second channel. Merc/Mando gets an auto attack which heals for significantly more

Both heal for 100% of your Tech Bonus Healing.

Commandos takes 1GCD and is instant, Scoundrels takes about 1.3GCD and is a channel.

Talent boosts give Scoundrels a better up front deal with more healing boosts and 2 energy regen per crit.

Commandos get less out of one use of CSC than a Scoundrel will from one DS but after 10 uses of CSC or 5 medical probes (or whatever combination) to get 30 CSC stacks they can burn Supercharge Cells to gain 8 energy and the ability to spam heal or do free damage for a short time.

Oh and the important thing is DS isn't a massive green beam indicating the healer and the target the healer is focusing. Plus DS isn't stance locked. You can be a DPS and still use DS, A commando DPS would have to channel a 1GCD stance swap to use the free heal then channel a 1GCD stance swap AGAIN to get back to dps.

Edited by Gyronamics

EDIT: Not worth addressing. You're basically whining because the classes are designed in a fundamentally different way and have differing mechanisms to regenerate energy. You're also being intellectually dishonest by omitting parts of Merc/Mando regen while overemphasizing the ones operative gets. Top Merc parse is .6% behind top Operative one, with the latter being melee and losing more DPS on fights as a general matter of course, and despite what you're implying is an inherently worse energy regeneration paradigm.

If you're that bitter reroll.

Edited by Rocanon

EDIT: Not worth addressing. You're basically whining because the classes are designed in a fundamentally different way and have differing mechanisms to regenerate energy. You're also being intellectually dishonest by omitting parts of Merc/Mando regen while overemphasizing the ones operative gets. Top Merc parse is .6% behind top Operative one, with the latter being melee and losing more DPS on fights as a general matter of course, and despite what you're implying is an inherently worse energy regeneration paradigm.

I like that you removed everything that you said, but I'm going to rebutt it anyways.

Unload costs 16 energy. Channels for 3 seconds. Baseline regen for merc 5.0/s with arsenal buff +1.33/s for a total of 6.133/s. With 0 alacrity you have 6.133 * 3 = 18.399 with a cost of 16 heat, you have vented 2 extra. If you have even a single piece of alacrity or take the +2% from pyro you will end up being energy negative.

In healing spec for ops and mercs, adrenaline probe and vent heat both give 16 + 50/3s energy. For mercs +10% alacrity from vent heat gives you exactly 0.5 heat per second. So instead of 5.3/s you regen at 5.8/s, venting an extra 1.5 heat over 3 seconds. So you get 5.8*3 + 50 = 67.4 heat over 3 seconds and 67.4 + 5.8*3 = 84.8 over 6 seconds (Which is how long the alacrity buff lasts). On an operative you will already regen 6*3 + 50 = 68 over 3 seconds and 68+6*3 = 86 over 6 seconds. So they're almost exactly the same. Read your trees.

Not to mention, in the recommended Pyro spec you lose the +16 and +10% alacrity.

As for rapid shots vs diagnostic scan. You mentioned Combat Support Cylinder. While yes it generates a 3 stack, even if you are at 30 stack and use rapid shots instead of healing 1250 you heal 1287. Not a big gain on the 1119 in subpar gear with only 900 bonus healing versus the 1200 some bonus healing my merc has. Diagnostic scan is a clear winner for free heal filler especially since you have twice the chance to crit with DS than rapid shots.

How am I overemphasizing operative energy regen? Numbers don't lie. In healing spec, you always have TA up and you gain additional stacks effortlessly. So you never have to worry about that resource. As for base energy I've already established that rapid shots will only get you at most 5.3*3 = 15.9 in 3 seconds (two GCDs) where as using diagnostic scan you will get anywhere from 2 + 6*3 = 20 to 6 + 6*3 = 24 energy in 3 seconds. It doesn't matter what interval you look at, the difference in healing between the free heals is tiny but the rate of energy regeneration is completely skewed.

If you're that bitter reroll.

We are bitter, because the class that we have played for years, which is only now being brought up to par with other healing classes through QOL and mechanic buffs (after 2 years), still struggles with the worst energy management in the game. However, there are people like you who wish to stay on top and shoot down what everyone else says when they call you out on it.

Edited by Osxoba

I'm having virtually no problems managing heat on either my PT or Merc..

Maybe as Pyro on my Merc, but i'm fairly certain that is more a l2p problem on my end.

Shield Tech just needs to get hit like the tank it is, Advanced Prototype has amazing heat venting, and Pyro ditches heat with every Railshot.

Bodyguard has by far my fav resource usage of any of the healers, Arsenal has the same amazing heat venting of AP, and Pyro yet again ditches heat with every Railshot.

So uhm.. I dont see the issue here?