How do Gunslingers keep their companions alive in fights?

bcasner

Okay, I'm new to the Gunslinger class and having fun with it but I"m also having a significant problem. Not having any way to heal up Corvo in a fight usually means with boss's he's good for 4 min then the boom is lowered on me!

That leads to the question of just how can you keep your Companion in the fight? I figure I'm missing something basic. I have med pacs for myself, but drawing a blank on how to heal him up! Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

You don't. When he's low on health either Recuperate or use the "Dismiss n Summon" trick(it heals him to full). Just to get one thing straight:

Tank comps AREN'T here to ABSORB damage(you don't have offheals/heals). They ARE here to DISTRACT enemies long enough so you perforate them like Swiss Cheese. For example, Scrapper Scoundrel is nigh UNPLAYABLE without either Corso or the melee tank. The most versatile tree is Dirty Fighting. Slinger is knida like that tree-the only companion that is REALLY no-no would be the Healer. Everything else is good(2x DPS = awesome, DPS + Tank = awesome).

Until you get your healer companion --

Who heals you with Jedi power!

-- then basically...you don't.

The objective is to nuke them before they nuke you, and the companion is basically a human (or Wookiee, once you get/if you choose to use Bowdaar) shield that buys you a bit more time to do so, at least in the case of the tanks.

One option is that there is a type of medpac made by biochemists (craft your own with BioChem, or buy off GTN) that heals both you and your companion upon use, but I've found these to be less than optimal: When the companion needs it, you usually don't need it, they die eventually anyway, and then you might find yourself needing it after blowing the cooldown/once-per-fight lockout.

You didn't say your level, but hang in till level 36, when you get the lovely...the awesome...the brilliant...

...the ALMIGHTY SPEED SHOT!! (Yes, caps are deliberate: The ability is just that awesome) You'll find that everything below Champion-level just melts too quick for the comp's weaknesses to be an issue anymore :)

/Me giggles madly...Because of SpeedShot, baby!

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, I'm new to the Gunslinger class and having fun with it but I"m also having a significant problem. Not having any way to heal up Corvo in a fight usually means with boss's he's good for 4 min then the boom is lowered on me!

That leads to the question of just how can you keep your Companion in the fight? I figure I'm missing something basic. I have med pacs for myself, but drawing a blank on how to heal him up! Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Ah, Smugglers and Inquisitors...

...the single reason why I decided to Legacy-unlock Treek. Not getting a healer companion until Hoth was an absolute b*tch. Plus she uses the same gear as Corso and my Vanguard, so she gets all of my old leftovers, even old PvP mods!

My smuggler is a scoundrel, but I have a sniper as well.

My strategy for the sniper is simple: use a healer companion. Now I know smugglers got kinda shafted there because they get that annoying Guss Tuno instead of the uber cool Dr. Lokin, but if you get your healer in 162 gear or above he will more or less keep you on full health during trash pulls.

Don't use Corso unless your a scoundrel (on scoundrel/operative you are better off using a tank because like half your damage comes from back blasts)

I'm a gunslinger, just made level 25 today, and I have little problem with keeping Corso alive. Mostly because I switched his stance from being the agro to the higher damage. Now, he and I share the agro and the damage is spread out between us. I took biochem for the very reason to have medpacks that I can use to heal both him and I in combat. With the mods I have for his armor and rifle, he rarely dies.

I never used healer or tank leveling my slinger. I just killed everything as fast as I could.

My advice for any class.

Keep companion geared.

Use your CCs when you can.

Follow kill order.

interrupt attacks (heals)

use stuns

When I do those things (well I refuse to CC now, but still a good idea in some fights) it does not matter class or advance class, the game is extremely easy.

Edited by mikebevo

• 1 month later...

If you took Biochem you can make med kits that heal you and your comp.

Otherwise?

As a Gunslinger you are pure, unfiltered damage. You need to have the best weapons you can get your grubby little mitts on and, unload. The only way you can save your comps is with the ultimate debuff, death.

As a side note, if you have Treek, she can tank and heal herself, mitigating the issue somewhat.

I dont use Biochem but my smuggler has never had his companion die on him.

as ppl have pointed out Gunslingers do a lot of damage very fast, your goal is to wipe the floor against npc's and if you keep your gear up to lvl you can do so and corso will still be alive.

When I leveled my IA as Sniper I went with my melee dps companion the whole time (Vector). I just sent him in and mowed down the enemy one by one. Just make sure you both are always on the same target (follow your companion's lead) and I never had any problems. If you spread out the damage your companion just won't last but the way I described is very efficient. The only time I had to mix-it up is with double Elites. In that situation you want to send in your companion and then Snipe the elite he's not focused on and then go back to focusing the elite he is on. The non-focused elite will run to you wasting a lot of time and then as he starts to beat on you just use your defensive cooldowns and knock-backs (not a lot of threat) and the other elite will fall. Then just go to town on the one focused on you and it works out most all of the time.