Increase the tank threat

Necrosia

Everytime I aoe pull a group I'm ok for a few seconds and then the mobs go to the dps in a hurry

Also on 16 man hard mode EV SOA ends up peeling off me and I need to taunt back, take away the 30% debuff if you want just increase the tank threat

Everytime I aoe pull a group I'm ok for a few seconds and then the mobs go to the dps in a hurry

Also on 16 man hard mode EV SOA ends up peeling off me and I need to taunt back, take away the 30% debuff if you want just increase the tank threat

So a mob peels and spearheads a dps? Since when is this a tank's fault?

This...

If people learned to play their rolls you would not have this issue. Many folks just fail to assist and attack the tanks target..

I play a tank assassin

I don't think its a threat issue, cause I do fine on bosses. The problem is mobs are so spread out, or come running in late as adds.

Tanks need to hit things first, yet stuff is too spread for tank AE but close enough for BH AE.

Typically what happens is get the first group. Then the pack of adds that spawn comes in and all my AE is on CD. Even if you grab the worse mob in the pack, they'll have some knock back or stun that makes it difficult to pick up the rest.

Most classes have a defense cooldown they just have to be smart and use them.

When tank threat generation is less than dps threat generation. The OP is wrong, however, to complain about having to use his Taunt. That's why it's on a short cooldown and using all your abilities as a tank is part of being a good tank.

I don't know what class the OP plays, but I find that Powertech AoE is far superior to my Juggernaut's. However, I trump him in terms of general survivability and boss threat.

Yep, that's sort of what I'm feeling too from the three tanks classes. It's actually quite similar to *coughanothergamecough* in that regard, where Guardian/Jugg are very much like warriors, Vanguard/PT very much like paladins and Shadow/Assasins very much like death knights.

There used to be a time when DPS were expected to not only choose their targets intelligently, but throttle their damage so that they didn't take agro.

As they say, generally speaking:

If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault

If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault

If the DPS dies, it's the DPS's fault.

There are exceptions to the first two, of course.

There used to be a time when DPS were expected to not only choose their targets intelligently, but throttle their damage so that they didn't take agro.

As they say, generally speaking:

If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault

If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault

If the DPS dies, it's the DPS's fault.

There are exceptions to the first two, of course.

That was in the Before-time...we don't speak of the Before-time...

How is a DPS supposed to know when to throttle when he doesn't have a Threat Meter/Aggro Meter, or anyway of actually knowing what kinda Threat the Tank is dishing out?

Add in the Enrage timers, and yeah. ****.

Stop putting all the blame and pressure on DPS. We either do to much damage, and you *****. Or we don't do enough damage, the boss Enrages, and you *****.

Meanwhile, Tanks and Healers can face-roll the hardest content on cruise-control.

How is a DPS supposed to know when to throttle when he doesn't have a Threat Meter/Aggro Meter, or anyway of actually knowing what kinda Threat the Tank is dishing out?

Why you need a meter, you can't tell by the mob smacking you in the face?

Add in the Enrage timers, and yeah. ****.

Stop putting all the blame and pressure on DPS. We either do to much damage, and you *****. Or we don't do enough damage, the boss Enrages, and you *****.

Meanwhile, Tanks and Healers can face-roll the hardest content on cruise-control.

Let's see, how can I as dps tell when to throttle back on damage without a threat meter...

Q: Is something hitting me? Y/N

If Y: Stop hitting thing until thing stops hitting me

If N: Keep hitting thing till thing is dead or starts hitting me, then see above

Let's see, how can I as dps tell when to throttle back on damage without a threat meter...

If N: Keep hitting thing till thing is dead or starts hitting me, then see above

You forgot, you do have an aggro dump too.

Yes, that's the point. The only way to know is when the Boss is already face-stomping the DPS.

So now the DPS has to stop dealing damage until Aggro switches back to Tank, but we have no idea how long to throttle for.

Our next burst could have the same thing happen.

Or are you suggesting all DPS tuck their weapons away, go sit in a corner and count to 1000 before re-joining the fight to make sure the Tank has a handle on his job?

And again, I'm picking on the Tank, but there isn't anything he can do but use his Taunt move when the Boss goes to smash the DPS in the face and try to build up enough aggro to overtake the DPS again. The problem will keep repeating itself because neither the tank nor the DPS knows what Threat they have.

Which means the Tank can't pop his Taunt before the DPS pops the Bosses cherry and gets face-stomped, and the DPS doesn't know when to stop DPSing until the boss is face-stomping him.

So now you have the Healer having to heal two/Three-targets, swallowing up his resources and making the entire thing more annoying than it has to be.

And what happens if the DPS does stop and the Boss Enrages and kills everyone?

"You don't have enough DPS!"

And around and around we go..

Yes, that's the point. The only way to know is when the Boss is already face-stomping the DPS.

So now the DPS has to stop dealing damage until Aggro switches back to Tank, but we have no idea how long to throttle for.

6 seconds...the taunt forces the mob to focus for 6 seconds, after that if tank doesn't have it picked up you're toast (yeah, good time to use that aggro dump).

I'm just waiting for a L2P(Learn to play comment)

Honestly Ive played a Jug Imort tank since launch, and its just poor/weird game design.

At any given time a Merc Commando can pull DPS off you if he wants, and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Sure you can get it back right away with a taunt, but that's annoying when you have to waste a taunt on some non-critical mob.

My friend used to do this and laugh at me for not being able to keep aggro. Then I let him die a couple of times and he stopped being a tard.

Not only this but the game just has some funny weird *** mechanics where Mobs will randomly switch aggro. It's an intentional feature i guess.

On bosses its no problem, but when on packs of mobs its a prob since knockbacks, stuns and shizzles happens all the time on the tank and not on dps they usually get aggro easily on larger packs of mobs.

The main tank stays on the boss and the off tank uses AoE taunt on mobs.

problem solved.

Our next burst could have the same thing happen.

Or are you suggesting all DPS tuck their weapons away, go sit in a corner and count to 1000 before re-joining the fight to make sure the Tank has a handle on his job?

And again, I'm picking on the Tank, but there isn't anything he can do but use his Taunt move when the Boss goes to smash the DPS in the face and try to build up enough aggro to overtake the DPS again. The problem will keep repeating itself because neither the tank nor the DPS knows what Threat they have.

Which means the Tank can't pop his Taunt before the DPS pops the Bosses cherry and gets face-stomped, and the DPS doesn't know when to stop DPSing until the boss is face-stomping him.

So now you have the Healer having to heal two/Three-targets, swallowing up his resources and making the entire thing more annoying than it has to be.

And what happens if the DPS does stop and the Boss Enrages and kills everyone?

"You don't have enough DPS!"

And around and around we go..

I would agree except for the fact that there were plenty of difficult bosses that were being downed long before threat meters became a "needed" part of games.

6 seconds...the taunt forces the mob to focus for 6 seconds, after that if tank doesn't have it picked up you're toast (yeah, good time to use that aggro dump).

Checking Sentintel abilities, and I'm not seeing an aggro dump. Nevermind, that would be Force Camo*.

And Honestly, don't think I'd use a Spec'd Force Camo as a simple Aggro dump, but I guess it applies.

Edited by Azumio

Checking Sentintel abilities, and I'm not seeing an aggro dump.

Oh, they have one that works 100% of the time. It's called dying. My warrior had it in WoW. Awesome if you have a spare battle rez, not so awesome when you didn't.

:mad:

I would agree except for the fact that there were plenty of difficult bosses that were being downed long before threat meters became a "needed" part of games.

Well, they aren't needed. But if Tanks are having such a hard time holding threat (And I hear Juggs/Guards have a really hard time) maybe it's time to boost up there Threat generation.

I've never had the issue, but I was never satisfied with my DPS on my Sentintel, and I ran mostly with a damn great Tank (Vanguard) and Healer (Commando) combo.