The "I hate TS (especially in OPs)" Thread

If you feel the same, please post here.

I do hate voice chat in games, including and especially in Operations/raids, and this is why:

- I dont want to hear people chitchatting while I play the game, neither wants my girl-friend who is doing stuff on her laptop (that wont run SWTOR! No clue why not, but I gave up on it) in the same room with me. We watched a few OP boss fight vids with people doing TS in the background and gosh! it is so annoying.

- I should not have to use any kind of 3rd party software to play the game (fake argument actually, if BW adds an ingame voicechat I am gonna be seriously p...ed off and still not gonna use it)

- I definetly should not have to buy the hardware for TS (micro and headphones)

- I raided a lot in the past without any voicechat. 3 years of Everquest and 2 years of Vanguard endgame raids with an asian-pacific guild, we rocked and voice chat was never needed.

- If you dont have the 5 mins before a fight to explain fight mechanics and assign jobs, then you wont do any better by rushing in and shouting at people

- If you want to shout at people for underperforming, use CAPS. My old guildleader was big at throwing fits after fails, with a rather motivation effect and better guild performance on the re-runs. 8-) If someone shouted at me via voicechat, Id simply leave.

- to all that add a personal issue: I am ex-military and used to radio discipline and getting very irritated if people dont live up to that standard

And for Christ sake! If someone joins your guild saying that he doesnt do voicechat then dont wait 2 weeks before you tell him that TS is mandatory for guild OPs!

On a side note: I am waiting impatiently for the custom UI and I hope that we will get macros in game soon, too.

Hotkeys that allow chat message like "Attacking %target, assist me now" and "starting CC on %target now" are really needed (at least by me)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An easy solution is mute everything but the raid-leader, and, perhaps, officers responsible for coordination.

Voice communication is very efficient. Without it, I'm feeling mute and deaf - cba to look at the chat, let alone write, lest I compromise my situational awareness.

I'm with you on this. I've played for years w/o voice and only use it now when I pvp because well its much easier to call out targets. For pve? no voice is not needed and I also refuse to use it. Nothing better than a 15 yo eating potato chips right into your ear.

I think that single players should play single player game and stop bothering who is trying to make a game "massive multiplayer".

Think whatever you want.

MMORPG players did 90+ man raids way before TS even was available. (raid groups in EQ were 12 groups of 6 chars = 72, and some guilds brought extra groups)

My guild on EQ, Saviours on Bertoxx, did those raids with half of that manpower and without voicechat and kept up with progression just fine.

If have done OPs in SWTOR already, without voicechat. Worked just fine, too.

Edited by deusBAAL

Think whatever you want.

MMORPG players did 90+ man raids way before TS even was available. (raid groups in EQ were 12 groups of 6 chars = 72 and some guilds brought extra groups)

My guild on EQ, Saviours on Bertoxx, did those raids with half of that manpower and without voicechat and kept up with progression just fine.

If have done OPs in SWTOR already, without vociechat. Worked just fine, too.

Once ppl went to work with horses, so let's stop evolution.

In Wow Vanilla there wasn't so much content so let's stop asking more content here, even if it was like 10 years ago.

And so on.

I think whatever I want, of course. And for me, someone who doesn't want a "real" contact like voice with other players it's just a single player gamer. :)

Did you by mistake post this here instead of at your guilds forums?

Also, this is not the military, its a computer game, learn to adapt.

While I agree expecting military level discipline from anything related to the internet is unrealistic, expecting people to be quiet during raids if they dont have anything extremely important to say isnt.

It's kinda sad but I've lost count of how many "raiders" my guilds have had to kick from vent for leaving their mics open and blasting Katy Perry, Madonna, etc etc at the raid.

Once ppl went to work with horses, so let's stop evolution.

In Wow Vanilla there wasn't so much content so let's stop asking more content here, even if it was like 10 years ago.

And so on.

I think whatever I want, of course. And for me, someone who doesn't want a "real" contact like voice with other players it's just a single player gamer. :)

Thankfully your arbitrary definitions has little impact in the bigger picture

- I should not have to use any kind of 3rd party software to play the game (fake argument actually, if BW adds an ingame voicechat I am gonna be seriously p...ed off and still not gonna use it)

- I raided a lot in the past without any voicechat. 3 years of Everquest and 2 years of Vanguard endgame raids with an asian-pacific guild, we rocked and voice chat was never needed.

- If you dont have the 5 mins before a fight to explain fight mechanics and assign jobs, then you wont do any better by rushing in and shouting at people

ya, i know how u feel,

but ppl today has no patient,

they are lazy to type,

so they use voice chat,

BTW, our EQ raid leader dont spend 5mins to tell u how to do,

he/she wrote on guild web, so if u dont do ur homework b4 join a raid,

then ur DKP will decrease, and ban a raid until u know what u have to do.

our RL just ask members in 1 sec : did u do ur homework? then go fight.....

Make voice chat mandatory and a part of the game so people are forced to talk to each other, it's supposed to be social.

I actually miss raiding 40 man with everyone on Ventrilo or Mumble (lets face it TS is for noobz), we had so much fun being social and doing raidleading with a indian accent!

Hmm voice chat is just for the sake of ease, and also adaptability. I'm not saying you need it to raid or pvp etc, but it makes things a whole lot easier when something goes wrong/someone is doing something wrong.

I mean a raid leader who has to stop his current actions to type something is gonna get frustrated fast, and theres going to be mistakes no matter how well you explain things beforehand, especially with an unfamiliar encounter.

If you're completely against voice chat, and I know some people are for whatever reason, join a guild which hasnt got it as a req.

Though be prepared to maybe miss out on key order changes, and to be always slightly behind the flow of any battle. A lot of guilds will provide instructions though text chat, though when things get frantic with a new encounter, or in pvp, some things will get lost in the mix.

Seems I hit a nerve.

And yes I expected all them trolls here posting their brainless, pointless and insulting comments. So i say: thank you, trolls, for the bumps.

I am pondering the thought now to use a voicechat client, if I have to, and blocking everyone but the OPleader. That could be a compromise for me. Thank you for that hint.

If you want to run ops ur gonna need voice chat, be it ts, or vent or w/e. communication is just too important. its a requirement in our guild as it is in most guilds. even pug runs you're gonna need voice chat.

it is in the end, a team game. if you dont want to talk to the team, sit on the bench.

Think whatever you want.

MMORPG players did 90+ man raids way before TS even was available. (raid groups in EQ were 12 groups of 6 chars = 72, and some guilds brought extra groups)

If have done OPs in SWTOR already, without voicechat. Worked just fine, too.

I used Roger Wilco in EQ raids back in 2000....Then again we raided on Rallos Zek where the real players were :p

Doing ANYTHING today in an online game group without Vent or TS is just being ignorant.

If people are munching chips in your ear, or blasting the raid with Madonna, someone hasn't been terse enough with the members doing this. My guild simply doesn't have people who do this, dunno bout you....guess some of you do...

But I'll not type out a long set of directions for an encounter when it is MUCH easier to relay the same in Vent, quicker, where I can hear an 'I got it' back from the player.

Also, assuming new people in the raid, even after you have laid out the encounter, someone ALWAYS stands in fire. Do you stop DPS to type out 'Hey, Ramalamasobad, get out of the fire please' or just push a button and say it? Call me provincial here, but, seems a pretty basic decision....

Lastly, convenience. Many of our guild are new players, who of course have a ton of questions. I'd much rather hit a button to answer them when I'm tanking a Heroic 4 than temporarily ignore them in chat, or stopping my rotation to type out 'Have a good evening'.

If you feel your peen is bigger because you don't / can't / won't use it, great for you. I will say one of our new members was being real hard headed about getting Vent, similar arguments as here... FINALLY, she got it.... now, you can't get her to NOT be in Vent.....

I mean, really? Like why aren't some of you still using rotary phones or 8-track tapes still?

I do hate voice chat in games, including and especially in Operations/raids, and this is why:

- I dont want to hear people chitchatting while I play the game, neither wants my girl-friend who is doing stuff on her laptop (that wont run SWTOR! No clue why not, but I gave up on it) in the same room with me. We watched a few OP boss fight vids with people doing TS in the background and gosh! it is so annoying.

- If you want to shout at people for underperforming, use CAPS. My old guildleader was big at throwing fits after fails, with a rather motivation effect and better guild performance on the re-runs. 8-) If someone shouted at me via voicechat, Id simply leave.

- to all that add a personal issue: I am ex-military and used to radio discipline and getting very irritated if people dont live up to that standard

Well most of your points start with a very important word "I", and the only thing that I agree on within your post is that the guild requirements should be stated before joining. As for the rest of your points, you can take your "I" and stick it where the shine don't shine, cause my "I" thinks that voice chat is necessary and makes the whole experience more fun.

And for Christ sake! If someone joins your guild saying that he doesnt do voicechat then dont wait 2 weeks before you tell him that TS is mandatory for guild OPs!

On a side note: I am waiting impatiently for the custom UI and I hope that we will get macros in game soon, too.

Hotkeys that allow chat message like "Attacking %target, assist me now" and "starting CC on %target now" are really needed (at least by me)

This is very interesting, how about you simply join a guild that does not require TS or any kind of voice communication during Ops.

Remember that when you are writting an aplication, you could ask the guild about requirements like TS. It is probably written on their web site in the Guild Rules or simillary named thread, spare a minute or two on familiarising yourself with the guild you are willing to join.

If you can't find one, you can always start your own. Also remember that the Ops leader shouldn't have to explain the fight to you, you could spend those 4 minutes before the Ops and read strategies or watch a video on youtube.

Edited by Adderdin

I love TS in GUILD.

When running a pug, ow god no. I remember running a siege raid where all needed to be on TS (all as in most of the faction) and the siegeleader literally SCREAMED all over it in ENGRISH going all RAGE RAGE KILL KILL. (engrish yes, engrish)

So I only log TS when I know I won't be greeted by someone who tries to hit over 9000 dB with his voice.

Edited by Kirameki

Voice chat is just much more efficient than typed chat. But I agree that VC at times can be quite annoying. Like hearing people talk about the Champions League in the midst of some intense raiding.

Then kick them out of the channel.

Unless you faceroll the raid the only thing that matters is the raid.