Is it just me?

Pathera

I started playing SWTOR a few months ago so I am catching up on all the class stories and so forth. So far, I like playing light side Imperials with the Imperial Agent story as my favorite followed by the Sith Inquisitor story. Is it just me or did they do a far better job with the Imperial class stories than the Republic stories?

I started playing SWTOR a few months ago so I am catching up on all the class stories and so forth. So far, I like playing light side Imperials with the Imperial Agent story as my favorite followed by the Sith Inquisitor story. Is it just me or did they do a far better job with the Imperial class stories than the Republic stories?

It's not just you, I agree the imperial class stories are more interesting and I like that they let us play LS imperials and sith and the reaction that gets from NPCs

I like the 2 jedi stories. Unfortunately, trooper and smug don't seem to hold up after first chapters. BH isn't so great after 1st chapter. but, yea overall, the whole game seems to be slanted toward the imperial side in many aspects. my opinion.

I like the 2 jedi stories. Unfortunately, trooper and smug don't seem to hold up after first chapters. BH isn't so great after 1st chapter. but, yea overall, the whole game seems to be slanted toward the imperial side in many aspects. my opinion.

To me the main appeal of the BH and Smuggler stories are your PCs and the hilarious dialogue or actions you can choose with them rather than the storyline itself XD visiting an Alderaan noble and "negotiating with his face a little" was one of my favorite moments in the game :D

Love the Sith Warrior story and BH story. Now Inquisitor and Agent, wasn't as fond of. Republic side just makes my teeth ache a lot of the time with the goodie goodie stuff, gets a bit overplayed. Couldn't stand the consular story. That one was the worst.

Take Imp/Sith side any day

Love the Sith Warrior story and BH story. Now Inquisitor and Agent, wasn't as fond of. Republic side just makes my teeth ache a lot of the time with the goodie goodie stuff, gets a bit overplayed. Couldn't stand the consular story. That one was the worst.

Take Imp/Sith side any day

I love playing light side Sith, but I don't like playing Jedi in this game. Other than the weak story, I think the biggest problem that I have with the Republic (especially the Jedi) is the self-righteousness that the characters display when you play them light side. No wonder random Sith want to slap them silly. I also think that the Jedi characters could use a few more funny line options.

I actually like the Jedi Consular, Smuggler and then the Agent. I have played them all at least twice and I also tend to stay on the Republic side more to the point I use my Republic classes to gear my mirror Imperial classes.

I don't see the Jedi classes as self-righteous, just a little more reserved, which is not a bad thing, just the way they are. I guess I can understand being a little more reserved because I tend to be more reserved around people, unless it is someone I know.

Edited by casirabit

I like Smuggler(DS only) and all Imp stories. Espeically playing a LS Sith, you meet a lot of hypocritical Jedi that just want you dead. You tell them you don't wanna fight but nah, they'll still try to kill you anyways.

The Agent story seems to have the most variety. It is the only class I have fully enjoyed playing multiple times.

I really loved playing a dark Jedi. She wasn't evil, just very pragmatic and a "realist".

But... yes, thinking about it, I enjoyed the Imperial class stories better.

The voice acting on the Consular just seems flat to me. She doesn't sound like she cares about anything.

The Smuggler has great voice acting and the story is good, but it didn't seem as detailed or involved as other stories. The pacing was a bit slow.

The Trooper's story was predictable. Classic but not gripping.

One thing that might help -- I play with my husband and I've noticed that the dialog can be quite different, depending on your character's gender. If you're not enjoying a class story, switch genders and see if you like it better.

Edited by Xina_LA

I like Smuggler(DS only) and all Imp stories. Espeically playing a LS Sith, you meet a lot of hypocritical Jedi that just want you dead. You tell them you don't wanna fight but nah, they'll still try to kill you anyways.

While you may think that is hypocritical, a sith is normally not lightside, sure we can play one in the game, but in lore, there are very few light sided sith so a Jedi is not going to believe a Sith that "claims" they don't want to fight. I don't see that as hypocritical per se I see that not believing a sith from all past experiences with sith.

It is easy for us to say they are this and that but the way the lore portrays 99% of the sith is how the stories seem to be written, not saying that is wrong or right, is why the Jedi act like that which makes someone playing a lightside Sith think they are being hypocritical when they really aren't based on the lore of the sith.

A sith apprentice is expected to kill their own Master so why would a Jedi not expect a sith to kill them even if they "claim" they don't want to. The practice of the sith makes it hard for anyone to actually believe a sith.

Edited by casirabit

Not just you. I like the smuggler's story a lot but I don't like the others Republic-side.

I feel like there's more of a progressive arc for the Sith stories. The Sith don't get made Sith lords until the end of Chapter 1. They don't get promoted again officially until the end of the class story. The Jedi are knighted and made full Jedi before even leaving Tython and have their titles by the end of Chapter 1 so it's a different pace for them.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

While you may think that is hypocritical, a sith is normally not lightside, sure we can play one in the game, but in lore, there are very few light sided sith so a Jedi is not going to believe a Sith that "claims" they don't want to fight. I don't see that as hypocritical per se I see that not believing a sith from all past experiences with sith.

It is easy for us to say they are this and that but the way the lore portrays 99% of the sith is how the stories seem to be written, not saying that is wrong or right, is why the Jedi act like that which makes someone playing a lightside Sith think they are being hypocritical when they really aren't based on the lore of the sith.

A sith apprentice is expected to kill their own Master so why would a Jedi not expect a sith to kill them even if they "claim" they don't want to. The practice of the sith makes it hard for anyone to actually believe a sith.

That's very easy for you to say but the truth is that Jedi shouldn't be the aggressor so why would Jedi attack if you offer a peaceful end to the confrontation? Cause that's what the point is.

There is this quest, I don't remember which. Might be Sith Warrior and you walk into a trap and two jedi await you. But you don't attack as Sith so no combat initially ensues. Except one of the Jedi is so upset that he can't hold himself back and this is a dark side choice and he attacks you.

That's clearly not the Jedi way. So if a Sith doesn't attack, but offers peace, I do believe the Jedi way is to try to give peace a chance and not strike pre emptively. That'd be a Sith thing to do.

That's very easy for you to say but the truth is that Jedi shouldn't be the aggressor so why would Jedi attack if you offer a peaceful end to the confrontation? Cause that's what the point is.

There is this quest, I don't remember which. Might be Sith Warrior and you walk into a trap and two jedi await you. But you don't attack as Sith so no combat initially ensues. Except one of the Jedi is so upset that he can't hold himself back and this is a dark side choice and he attacks you.

That's clearly not the Jedi way. So if a Sith doesn't attack, but offers peace, I do believe the Jedi way is to try to give peace a chance and not strike pre emptively. That'd be a Sith thing to do.

Well that jedi is walking very close to the DS and you can actually make a Sith out of him, so i'd not take him a a good example of what Jedi are.

His fellow Jedi acts more like a true Jedi.

And in that mission, if I recall correctly, you are searching for a Jaesa (sp?) and Normal Karr with orders to kill him and turn her so it would stand to reason they would not trust your word either. You are actively hunting Karr to kill him and turn his padawan so can you honestly say your intentions are peaceful.

Edited by casirabit

I love all the Class Stories I've played but my Smuggles Brothers are the hardest. I want them to be like Jolee, and the game makes them more Han Solo/ Malcolm Reynolds/ Lando/ light. I have no interest in playing SI or BH.

My absolute favorites are Agent/Consular.

Well that jedi is walking very close to the DS and you can actually make a Sith out of him, so i'd not take him a a good example of what Jedi are.

His fellow Jedi acts more like a true Jedi.

This. Not every Jedi is lightside. Some border on the dark side. Plus in that mission you are actively hunting Norman Karr with orders from Baras to kill the Master so really your intentions are "peaceful". I am not sure, even my very lightside Jedi would believe my warrior when she said that. Sure my sage may not attack but she would be poise to act if found the person to be lying due to the circumstances involved in this mission.

Edited by casirabit

This. Not every Jedi is lightside. Some border on the dark side. Plus in that mission you are actively hunting a Jedi Master with orders from Baras to kill the Master so really your intentions are "peaceful". I am not sure, even my very lightside Jedi would believe my warrior when she said that. Sure my sage may not attack but she would be poise to act if found the person to be lying due to the circumstances involved in this mission.

Yep my JK would give my SW the benefit of the doubt, but she'll clearly be ready to fight him if it appears the Sith is lying.

That part of the SW story is actually quite funny to play as a neutral to LS, because you see the first one getting closer and closer to the DS while his fellow Jedi starts to freak out.

About the stories, my fav is the JK's, followed by the SW's.

I have more difficulties with my JC though, the poor guy seriously lacks some sense of humour, he's really too serious. Haven't really tried a DS JC, but DS Jedi don't make much sense to me.

I like my Jedi to be LS to neutral, while i like my Sith being neutral to DS (SW is actually much more interesting to me as a more neutral character).

I dont think they did a bad job with the rep stories, but rather getting to play a bad guy is a lot less used idea and has more first-time appeal because of it. Also playing light bad guy makes you feel morally superior.

The Jedi mythology and mindset are a niche thing, they're not actually action-heroes like movies make them out to be... This is especially nicely described in Consular story which is very largely a diplomatic story rather than a heroic or actionful story, diplomacy is not mainstream topic and a lot of videogame players just want their action hero experience, which Consular is not going to deliver, and neither is smuggler.

Knight get a lot more action and "movie jedi things".

Smugglers are basically just spacers, making a living in the galaxy. They're not decorated officers, they're not superhumans with magic powers, they're not aggressive glory seekers... They're basically civilians, doing civilian things. Again, not an action packed story. Smugg is basically a series of events a random spacer bumped into, and that's really all there is! If you're looking to be a hero you're not gonna find that from smugs. If you just wan't a story about random civvie who got in some crazy ride by a mere chance, smug is for you.

Troopers I guess are forever "on the payroll" types. Like most soldiers in a war would't find mad crazy adventures outside of their unit, Trooper doesn't either. They work for the Reps and do what they tell him. Not too many people are into getting told what to do in their fictional world, so it's again a niche story.

Edited by Kiesu

Many people seem to think that Jedi are always good and Sith are always bad. I think it is more complicated than that. In this game if someone is born in the Republic and are force sensitive, your only option is the Jedi Academy. If someone is Imperial and force sensitive, then they are required to go to the Sith Academy. This is true regardless of natural inclination and any environmental factors that individual may deal with. As a result, people at both academies are potentially going to fall along a continuum.

That said, the Sith code does encourage selfishness and a lack of restraint. As a result, most Sith will be selfish, self-involved and, in some cases, outright evil. But it is important to allow for the exception. I like playing the exception.

The Jedi code encourages service to others and restraint, but it is not perfect. Many Jedi are going to self-righteous and inflexible, but not all of them. My biggest objection to the way they handle Jedi in the game is that almost all of them seem that way (at least to me). I would love to play a Jedi that was a good person without coming across as self-righteous and irritating.

The Agent story seems to have the most variety. It is the only class I have fully enjoyed playing multiple times.

I really loved playing a dark Jedi. She wasn't evil, just very pragmatic and a "realist".

But... yes, thinking about it, I enjoyed the Imperial class stories better.

The voice acting on the Consular just seems flat to me. She doesn't sound like she cares about anything.

The Smuggler has great voice acting and the story is good, but it didn't seem as detailed or involved as other stories. The pacing was a bit slow.

The Trooper's story was predictable. Classic but not gripping.

One thing that might help -- I play with my husband and I've noticed that the dialog can be quite different, depending on your character's gender. If you're not enjoying a class story, switch genders and see if you like it better.

I find fem-consular has more life in her voice when she's played dark or grey. I loved her fake imperial accent on nar shaddaa. She's really only monotone when you play her too straight laced

You're not alone. My favorite story by far is the Sith Warrior. The story for the Inquisitor is good, too, but I prefer to make my Sith LS and the inquisitor seems more like the one to make a psychotic DS character. Even some of the supposed LS convo options seem a little crazy. The Bounty Hunter is a fun one, but taking one through the end game stuff doesn't make much sense, simply based on their profession. I honestly didn't care for the Agent (I think I'm in the minority on that one). On the pub side, the only story I actually like is the Soldier, but that's mostly because the companions are good and it's fun to play a bit of a renegade. The Smuggler is ok, too, but not my favorite. I find the Consular boring, the Knight sanctimonious, even DS options aren't as good as they should be.

I found the Imperial stories SI and SW far more engaging than the Republic counterparts. Ended up being Light side both times, as that's just what seemed like natural choices. Have played all eight, but recently replayed all of SI and really enjoyed it.