Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

No More Disney Star Wars References in this EU Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
No More Disney Star Wars References in this EU Game

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
12.19.2020 , 06:15 PM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Enskojare View Post
Nice to see how this tread is still fairly fresh. My 2 cents:
The topic was beyond stale even before the thread began, sorry to say.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
?REDO FROM START
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

jedimasterjac's Avatar


jedimasterjac
12.19.2020 , 06:49 PM | #142
I dunno, I think SW discourse could use one more pejorative or complaint about women.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.
Feel like I've said something good? Click my referral link for free goodies!

Enskojare's Avatar


Enskojare
12.19.2020 , 06:51 PM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
The topic was beyond stale even before the thread began, sorry to say.
The thread was fairly fresh, not necessarily the topic.

MrMcmadness's Avatar


MrMcmadness
12.25.2020 , 12:33 AM | #144
My only response to the several months old OP is that I don't mind winks and nods to things that were actually good about the Disney stuff.

I mean let's be honest here, swtor itself has had some pretty stupid things in it, on par with many Disney stuff that since vanilla have fortunately never been brought up again.

Remember Nekghouls?

The Esh'ka? AKA Evil cows?

Yeah...
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
12.30.2020 , 10:09 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by MrMcmadness View Post
My only response to the several months old OP is that I don't mind winks and nods to things that were actually good about the Disney stuff.

I mean let's be honest here, swtor itself has had some pretty stupid things in it, on par with many Disney stuff that since vanilla have fortunately never been brought up again.

Remember Nekghouls?

The Esh'ka? AKA Evil cows?

Yeah...
These are basically my thoughts, too, and people have just got to accept that "Disney" is not the problem.

Sure, the sequel trilogy is God awful; we are all in agreement about that. However; it isn't ALL bad, the Mandalorian proves this and Disney+ just seems to be doing Star Wars right, from Ahsoka, the Obi-Wan series, to re-canon-izing Thrawn, and other shows to come such as Star Wars: Andor, Star Wars: The Acolyte, the Bad Batch, the High Republic series, the Book of Boba Fett.

imo, you (general you) have just got to ignore the sequel trilogy, because Disney+ has been doing some darn good work (I think to make up for the sequel trilogy). Disney has just got to give the projects to the right people, Filoni being an obvious choice to take over, but also Tiger Waititi and Deborah Chow. Especially, after the season 2 final of Mando, I'm pretty confident we'll be getting a certain series.

Jesseriah's Avatar


Jesseriah
12.31.2020 , 02:02 AM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by MrMcmadness View Post
Remember Nekghouls?

The Esh'ka? AKA Evil cows?
Why exactly are these bad? Because you don't like them?

Same could be said about the Yuuzhan Vong. Remember them? AKA Klingon-styled aliens copied from Star Trek which homeplanet can transform theirself into a person? Absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense at all but people take it as given just because it was featured in some comic

Belsavis was a prison planet first controlled by the Rakata and we don't know anything about them or their timeline and their enemys so its super possible that there was a conquerer race like the Esh-Ka out there before. But I get the point of some people. They just dislike something and it makes immediately no sense ingame or is a "game breaking decision" in their minds.

There were some bad decisions in this game indeed, but for sure not in the vanilla game.
Use this Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/8gTtm9 for FREE Gametime, Chartransfer and more!

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
12.31.2020 , 09:20 AM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by Jesseriah View Post
Why exactly are these bad? Because you don't like them?
I'd say that that is *exactly* the reason for this whole sorry thread, and the sooner we all shut up and leave it alone, the sooner Jackie can come in and lock it for inactivity.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
?REDO FROM START
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

Tofu_Shark's Avatar


Tofu_Shark
01.20.2021 , 03:56 AM | #148
Well then, why are you posting in it Steve? You're only bumping it when you could be raining on everyone's suggestions. Thanks for keeping the thread alive, by the way.

Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
The topic was beyond stale even before the thread began, sorry to say.
Was that really necessary?

Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
I dunno, I think SW discourse could use one more pejorative or complaint about women.
Strawman. I never complained about women. My problem is with anything that acknowledges the existence of Disney Star Wars in the EU, especially the sequels.

Quote: Originally Posted by MrMcmadness View Post
My only response to the several months old OP is that I don't mind winks and nods to things that were actually good about the Disney stuff.

I mean let's be honest here, swtor itself has had some pretty stupid things in it, on par with many Disney stuff that since vanilla have fortunately never been brought up again.

Remember Nekghouls?

The Esh'ka? AKA Evil cows?

Yeah...
Esh-ka are an equine species, not bovine, and neither them nor nekghouls are stupid, unlike the crap Disney has introduced.

Quote: Originally Posted by TyonYlle View Post
These are basically my thoughts, too, and people have just got to accept that "Disney" is not the problem.

Sure, the sequel trilogy is God awful; we are all in agreement about that. However; it isn't ALL bad, the Mandalorian proves this and Disney+ just seems to be doing Star Wars right, from Ahsoka, the Obi-Wan series, to re-canon-izing Thrawn, and other shows to come such as Star Wars: Andor, Star Wars: The Acolyte, the Bad Batch, the High Republic series, the Book of Boba Fett.

imo, you (general you) have just got to ignore the sequel trilogy, because Disney+ has been doing some darn good work (I think to make up for the sequel trilogy). Disney has just got to give the projects to the right people, Filoni being an obvious choice to take over, but also Tiger Waititi and Deborah Chow. Especially, after the season 2 final of Mando, I'm pretty confident we'll be getting a certain series.
It's more than just the sequels, but those are the references that have been being made in the game, and that pisses me off that that bantha poodoo even gets an acknowledgement of existence.

Filoni is not flawless. He did Rebels and that introduced corrupted EU elements. He probably didn't have total say in those decisions, but that stuff is there, and it set up threads that have to be followed through, and they are, and that continues the corruption. Mandalorian is visually impressive, but because it has to follow these threads to the end, it's limited in the directions the story can take.
  • Bad Batch? That's just a ripoff of the Republic Commandos. The Commandos were at least realistic. The Bad Batch is so ridiculously OP. They're going to have to tone them down to make the audience believe they're in any real peril.
  • Thrawn is a watered-down version of his former EU b-a-d-a-s-s self. What? I can't say ******?
  • Cassian Andor? Another forgettable character created by Disney from a lackluster standalone.
  • Ahsoka? I just don't care what happens to her since Clone Wars ended because Rebels is not a worthy successor.
  • I don't see how Obi-Wan can have his own series when he's stuck on Tatooine, watching over Luke. It's a whole planet, but Tatooine is sparsely populated compared to other worlds. Maybe they could make a short, single season story but nothing of significant length. This is an American production though. They can't resist marching a horse to death, beating it, resurrecting it, then beating it to death, and then continue to beat it after it's undead dead.
  • High Republic? That's just Disney's attempt at recreating the success of the KotOR era. They already screwed themselves over in the development phase. I look forward to its utter failure.
  • Book of Boba Fett? This came as a surprise. We shall see how it turns out. Still, it has to follow threads already established. It may have a bit more freedom, but they will still have to acknowledge them in the background.
  • Acolyte? Sounds like it's about an inquisitor, another EU element they corrupted.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jesseriah View Post
Why exactly are these bad? Because you don't like them?

Same could be said about the Yuuzhan Vong. Remember them? AKA Klingon-styled aliens copied from Star Trek which homeplanet can transform theirself into a person? Absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense at all but people take it as given just because it was featured in some comic

Belsavis was a prison planet first controlled by the Rakata and we don't know anything about them or their timeline and their enemys so its super possible that there was a conquerer race like the Esh-Ka out there before. But I get the point of some people. They just dislike something and it makes immediately no sense ingame or is a "game breaking decision" in their minds.

There were some bad decisions in this game indeed, but for sure not in the vanilla game.
I'd take the Vong storyline over anything Disney has done.
If I've been helpful or you liked my post, click my referral link
Also if you just want some free stuff.
Of course, I get something out of it too.

Senteliks's Avatar


Senteliks
01.24.2021 , 08:38 AM | #149
I think you are unfair with this because at the end of the day exclusive rights go to Disney +, while EA is middle man and Bioware does what they are told, or rather people who create the content have to listen to brass who "overseers", " manage it". - If Disney suggests, EA wants to grab more reins over the whole contract thing, they will insist that somehow that's added to the game - truth to be told most people didn't even noticed it.

That's how our world is structured and that's how it will always work. So until Bioware becomes completely independent with rights of IP to SW snatched from Disney to do as they like, you will have to deal with the fact that the game is going to be subject of subtle or a bit more aggressive marketing campaign for major cannon installments

Tofu_Shark's Avatar


Tofu_Shark
02.01.2021 , 06:46 PM | #150
There is no need to be patronizing.

I don't care about fairness, I care about quality and artistic integrity, which the inclusion of Disney Star Wars elements jeopardizes.
If I've been helpful or you liked my post, click my referral link
Also if you just want some free stuff.
Of course, I get something out of it too.