second thoughts about the big Jaesa decision

thewatcheruatu

If you read the forums or pay attention to anything regarding companions, then it's likely that nothing I say here will qualify as spoilers, but just the same...

Has anybody else had second thoughts about the direction they went with Jaesa Willsaam? I wound up playing a more or less middle-of-the-road type of Sith and I think I was thoroughly in the grey when I acquired her. It made a little more sense at the time from my character's perspective to get her to kill her master (because he found it kind of ironic), but even then, I was thinking to myself, "My guy wouldn't really care one way or the other whether this character is light side or dark side, because he doesn't care about people in general and what they do."

Anyway, once I started feeding Jaesa gifts and getting her companion quests, I sort of felt that I had made a mistake taking the dark path, because she's just so over-the-top. If she were really going to go around rooting out Sith who weren't purely dark in their hearts, she'd have to kill my character sooner or later. She's so evil that I felt like my character would hate having her around because of what a boring zealot she is.

Probably one of these "grass is always greener" situations.

It doesn't matter which way you go; neither one is terribly well written.

I've done both sides now and didn't find either story the least bit interesting or compelling. As much of a murderous psychopath as dark Jaesa is, Light Jaesa is just as much of a wet blanket. Her dialogues are boring and bland. She whines about being insecure and how she doesn't like killing Jedi. Overall, she's one of the biggest disappointments for me in ToR.

At least her voice isn't annoying like Kira Carsen's >.>, man she's super annoying.

I went light side with Jaesa and I hardly ever used her cause I was using Malavai XD. Such is the way when playing a character who can't heal.

I'm DPS Marauder, I use Jaesa a lot now (used to use Vette, but my character can't bear to see her injured so he sends her on missions now). I hardly ever use Quinn.

Jaesa's light side story is kinda meh. And while I like her voice, the acting is not the best.

Jaesa's light side story is kinda meh. And while I like her voice, the acting is not the best.

I can't really comment, as I'm still working my way up to getting her (my wife already got her in another game), but her voice actor is Rachael Leigh Cook, a fairly well known actor with some respectable voice acting experience (notably: Robot Chicken, Tifa, Batman). Everyone is entitled to their opinion, any actor can have a bad day/week/month/job, and "good" is not a universal scale in acting, but... as far as experienced, proven voice actors in SWTOR go, she's probably in the top ten. And SWTOR has quite a few of the best actors in the business.

That said... I know some people just don't like Cook's voice, and find it flat. I myself, have never had any problems with it.

Edited by Malastare

At least her voice isn't annoying like Kira Carsen's >.>, man she's super annoying.

I went light side with Jaesa and I hardly ever used her cause I was using Malavai XD. Such is the way when playing a character who can't heal.

I am playing a Sith Juggernaut (tank) and I have found that by using a DPS companion that my levelling experience has been much better. Mind you I need to use my tanking cooldowns on the big fights, and have a stock of current medkits just in case. There's a bit more thinking involved, but stuff dies a lot faster and progression has been a lot smoother and I really haven't died more than I have before.

Now if you're playing a DPS warrior I can see relying on Quinn more. In my experience is that between player and companion you want one of them to be DPS and the other to be a tank or healer. Combining tanking and healing between the two of you produces great survivability but DPS is so low that trash fights can start to feel extremely tedious.

I actually sort of like dark Jaesa's commentary during battle, to be sure ("The pain is exquisite!"). It's just that her companion quests sent her too far over the top for the type of character I've been playing. My character actually hates zealots.

And I do agree with another poster who said that the character isn't very well written. Because...

She's a bit interesting while you're hunting her down--I really enjoyed the mail that I received from her and such. However, once she turns to the dark side, she really turns. It's kind of crazy. It's not a slow build-up to total psychopath. She's just immediately there.

As to gameplay, I've been doing my dailies with Jaesa lately (I'm a DPS Juggernaut) and it has made them vastly less painful. She kills stuff so fast it's ridiculous. I can't believe I never used her at all while leveling. I can still see wanting to have Quinn along for certain fights, but in general, even against elites, I've found Jaesa to be better.

And on another tangent, I really love Kira Carsen. Character, voice actor, combat role, etc. She's great.

Edited by thewatcheruatu

I am playing a Sith Juggernaut (tank) and I have found that by using a DPS companion that my levelling experience has been much better. Mind you I need to use my tanking cooldowns on the big fights, and have a stock of current medkits just in case. There's a bit more thinking involved, but stuff dies a lot faster and progression has been a lot smoother and I really haven't died more than I have before.

Now if you're playing a DPS warrior I can see relying on Quinn more. In my experience is that between player and companion you want one of them to be DPS and the other to be a tank or healer. Combining tanking and healing between the two of you produces great survivability but DPS is so low that trash fights can start to feel extremely tedious.

This. For maximum DPS with a good amount of survivability, one of you should be tank and the other should be DPS. Juggernaut DPS might prefer Quinn, though, because DPS Juggs have more armor than even Full Columi-geared Tank companions thanks to talents. Geared DPS kill trash so fast though that the extra kill speed you gain from a tank or DPS companion is less than the downtime you'll incur from damage taken, so the more damage YOU deal, the more attractive Quinn becomes, even if he's undergeared.