Class Feedback

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Marauder spec is perceived by other classes?

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I think my marauder spec (Carnage), is viewed as overpowered by other classes because of the powerful gore+ravage+scream/berserk+gore+massacre.

2. I perceive it as quite a fair spec, and really only for team play. I don't enjoy solo queuing as Carnage because it's easy to counter, but I understand why someone could think it's overpowered if they do not know how it's played. If a marauder jumps on you and starts using a ravage, every class has multiple abilities to interrupt it whether it be a stun, knockback, or a mez. This is where the main damage comes from and it's on a 30 sec CD. Carnage marauders left unchecked can do huge amounts of damage, but this goes for every other dps class in the game as well.

I think others view the Marauder as providing consistent DPS to help defeat an enemy more quickly. I haven't really asked others, but it seems to be easy to fill a DPS slot if a group needs one.

I view the advanced class and spec as providing a relatively straightforward way of dishing out DPS. I don't think I completely understand exactly all of the mechanics (but I'm only level 21), but it seems like there's a lot that I don't understand. I push the buttons that I know work well when I do them in order, but I can't say that I really understand exactly what's going on.

1- Perception of my class/spec from others

To keep this short. We are viewed as overpowered by the majority of the community especially after the damage reduction to Mercs and Commandos in patch 1.2. Currently all 3 specs are viable in solo and ranked warzones in there own ways. However Ravage seems to be the major cry from the community that with all crits it can hit anywhere from 5k to upwards of 12k, that and this skill is viable in any spec or skill set.

With defensive CDs though we become next to unkillable between CoP and Saber Ward and then force camo(hit and run) and of course Undying. But in ranked warzones it actually becomes a team effort to control the Marauder/Sentinal so he is not wreaking havoc on the medium and light armors on your team.

2 - Perception of my Class/Spec from myself

I dont like rage it is too predictable and too easily avoidable in my eyes. I played Annihilation all the way from day 1 to 1.3 and I still play it on occasion. As a whole the spec is very balanced between burst and sustained dps in both PVE and PVP.

Since 1.3 I started using carnage with Gore taken off of GCD. I have noticed there are only 2 burst cycles in this tree the Massace->gore->ravage->force scream and then Beserk -> Gore ->Massacre->vicious slashx5->force scream but the spec is then just filled in with keeping massacre buff up with battering assault and assault. this is prob the area where I feel this spec falls off but this is in my eyes how it was designed.

With Defensive CDs though I feel nigh invincible when fighting anyone 1v1 however when I dont have these CDs I die in under 3 seconds against anymore then 2 ppl. but with Undying i have managed to pop it then kill a Commando in that 6 seconds from full. In this regard if you know your class you can succeed where others think you would have died but if you dont know the full extent of your own class then you well die before you can accomplish what you set out to do.

1. Marauders are definitely viewed as being overpowered by most people, but I do not think that statement is true. We are a melee only DPS class, so DPSing is our only option. Other classes also see our defensive cd's as being overpowered but I would say we need them. If you are a marauder not using your dcd's you won't last very long. I'm currently carnage, but other good players who know how to play their class and spec can come close to me in DPS be it in PvP or PvE.

2. My spec (carnage) provides a lot of burst damage, but not as much utility as the other spec annihilation does. But I think we make up for it with our crazy bursts every 15 seconds. I think we can be easily countered in PvP if our opponent utilizes their stuns, knockbacks, and interupts. I would say we are a fair spec as it is right now.

Marauder is the most feared class in pvp. I see this mentioned regularly during warzones, and in general chat.

Marauder was my last toon to 50. The leveling process was extremely quick. Most encounters were very easy. I'm also 50 valor on this toon. I usually do well in pvp. I however don't feel overpowered while playing it in pvp. Marauder can feel overpowered while playing AGAINST one in pvp, but it depends on your class. Leaping is fun, but overall it feels like just another melee class.

While I've played all 3 specs, I've mostly played as Rage spec (5/5/31). I'll comment on all 3.

ANNIHILATION

1-Generally perceieved as FOTM and overpowered.

2-Probably the most played spec, it's one of the best 1v1 classes in the game and beastly in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. Not as hard to master as some would have you think. Even poorly geared but well played can make this spec look OP.

CARNAGE

1-Predation buff bot and excellent CC.

2-I hate looking for procs which is why I never really enjoyed the spec much. Can do rediculous amounts of Scream/Ravage damage. Not many play this spec due to the popularity if Annihilation but is almost a neccessity for group PvP (particulary Huttball and Civil War).

RAGE

1-Most people scoff at this spec thinking it's a one trick pony.

2-While Smash can do great AOE damage it's easily avoidable and needs a range increase to a 7.5m radius. It's also not always instant as if I get knocked back at the same time as I use it, it will usually miss altogether. Obliterate needs a buff to at least 20m range and/or damage increase. Force Crush slow could use slightly lower cooldown (from 18s to 15s) and range increase (from 10m to 15m).

Playing Carnage

In PVE, we are perceived as having good damage and group utility, and I agree. Occasionally run into problems where someone would rather have ranged dps, but it's rare.

On to PVP:

Very strong if not OP. Opponents hate all our defensive cooldowns and get out of jail free cards which make it possible to escape and heal up or grab the health pickup. We are perceived as necessary for competitive group play due to our group utility (roots, mobility, group buffs).

Fun! Also balanced. Very powerful when CDs are available, very squishy when not. I feel this way when I play the class and when I play against it. You were wise not to nerf. Also think they are better for group play than Annihilation.

2) In my opinion, Marauder's damage is in the right place for all the 3 specs in PvP. It probably is one of the few classes in the game which requires an averagely high skill cap to be completely effective and rewards that skill cap with great damage. It also has a lot of utility which makes it really wanted in rated groups.

What I think is wrong right now with Marauders are the defensive CDs. They could be just fine if the other DPS classes had anything remotely similar to it, but alas, they do not. Marauders right now can dish very competitive damage and are the sturdiest non-tank class in the game (debatabily just as sturdy, if not more) thanks to Cloak of Pain. Having also other defensive abilities like Force Camouflage, Saber Ward and Undying Rage makes fighting a Marauder very unnerving for most other classes.

Mindlessly nerfing CoP might result in worse things than good ones, a fix could be to reduce the uptime to a max of 20 seconds.

Undying Rage is also too strong right now, it's unsure what the design of it is supposed to be. Is it supposed to be a skill you use to deal 5 seconds more of damage before dying? Is it supposed to be an Out-Of-Death card you use to have a healer heal you up to max after you use it? Right now it does both which is too strong in competitive play. If it should be used for the first thing, it needs a 90-50% heal reduction, if it needs to be used as another survivability cooldown it needs a 50% damage dealt reduction.

Carnage needs to lose the 30% faster Predation, which you will either give baseline or to no other spec. It makes having at least one Marauder in the group mandatory for its sheer importance at the start of a warzone, Carnage already has its roots as utility compared to the other specs. Annihilation needs some sort of dispel protection, maybe one similar to Lethality Agents. Annihilate cooldown reduction needs retooling, it currently is impossible to get more than one stack in any kind of serious PvP. Maybe having it be reduced by 1 second for each damage over time you have on the target? That makes the dispel protection similar to Agents have sense. I don't play Rage much but I seriously think that it needs a complete overhaul. Making it a spec that is simply there to crit for 6k every 12 seconds AoE doesn't make for a very compelling spec.

/feedback

1. We are viewed as overpowered and hard to kill....most players have gone up against a marauder 2 on one and lost to a good player.

2. I feel this is how every class should be set up. Tons of abilitys and potential damage if played right. Once I figured out the right place and time to use my skills there is no class I can't kill solo. I wish all classes were as effective as this one.

I play Carnage and Annihilation spec.

1. The general consensus amongst "casual" pvp participants is that marauders are over powered regardless of their spec, and that our five second (maybe I can get in one or two more swings before I die) defensive ability somehow makes us unable to be killed.

2. Marauders are balanced, they perform their role of high dps melee that when pitted against competent opponents has a small window (seconds) of survivability in which to accomplish said dps before dying, very far from immortal.

Carnage: Low survivability without support, random pug teams as Carnage can be a very rough experience, glass cannon basically, with some heals or shielding, we can swiftly and severely bruise many egos.

Annihilation: Better survivability when playing lone-wolf, but somewhat limited against smart players and teams who know to cleanse our bleeds, which can throw huge chunks of our dps right out the window.

Marauder

Anni / Carnage: Even tho is was my first character/class, I feel everyone sees marauder as "FOTM" or overpowered, believing the class requires gear and presence behind the keyboard to be competitive (in pvp)

Anni: Due the class relying heavily on bleed stackage and the total amount of classes that have the ability to remove debuffs/bleeds, it can be severely over exaggerated. it takes a minimum of 4.5 seconds to stack our 4 bleeds on 1 target, and only .5 seconds to remove them all, dropping total DPS and chance to self heal, waiting 12 seconds for the CD and it happening again.

Carnage: For a spec that leans heavily on single target roots and burst, the class is too "controllable" referencing the total number of stun/root type attacks available and only 1 skill to remove stuns/roots with no CD reduction, and 1 skill to remove roots/snares, especially for max range 10m on all attacks except charge.

PS: our armor selection is terrible and ugly

I play Annihilation in PVE:

1. I think other players think I bring useful tools and solid DPS to the PVE environment.

2. I agree, I really like how pure DPS classes have some unique supportive tools that help in PVE encounters beyond just damage. I really enjoy that Annihilation feels more complicated than many other advanced class specializations that I've played. It takes more work to be good at the class. We have fairly weak AOE, but I feel that balances our strong single target damage.

Edited by nezitx

In PvP considered OP because people see one group of attacks and think it can be done all the time and assume it will crit everytime you fight somone.

In PvE not so useful, most the time people want ranged DPS and for good reason Mauraders can go down quick and because they are melee only any AOE attack centred on the boss mean stoping attacking and losing hate to run back to get out the way. Or stay and take large amounts of damage.

As a one trick pony. Mauraders are dps and I love that. But thats all they are and don't have many options to stun or knock back. Obviously they have no stealth, tanking or healing or effect clence options so in a fight its all about DPS and often linked to routes to stop from being kited which does little against knockbacks. I often fight with an SI and have far fewer options than he does which makes having his back up great but little my maurader can manage to offer if the fight goes badly.

Inside a 3 min cool down they have limited survivability and can quickly be taken down by a few equal level oppontents. And hate being a unique mechanic in that everyone elses regenerates their mechanic over time can use down time in a fight or boss mechanics to recharge the Maurader has to keep up attacks to maintain hate level. This makes the game play different.

In PVE we are considered strong DPS, but are limited in our viability in certain encounters due to being melee (fabricator on KP for example with the puzzle, etc).

In PVP I think we are generally considered very strong and great to have atleast one of in a group, possibly bordering on OP.

Besides a 3 minute CD marauders have far less survivability than people think. Undying rage is 9 times out of 10 an "oh ****" button where you get a couple extra hits in and are gauranteed to die at the end of it regardless. We also have very limited utility, with no real stuns, pulls or knockbacks. To the best of my knowledge we are also the only advanced class in the entire game (other than operatives possibly?) that are not able to alter the positioning of other players. Positioning is incredibly crucial in PVP, especially in tiered maps such as huttball. We have no knockback, pull, grapple, push, etc. Additionally due to roots not adding to resolve, the amount of times I am literally unnable to attack something as a melee dps yet not be considered stunned is ridiculously high, especially with the knockbacks that have a root affect at the end.

To counter all the negatives, I think we're balanced out with the positive of good dps (which is our only available role) when allowed to maintain uptime on a target in PVP, and likewise in PVE when the boss encounters are favourable.

1. When Rupture is refreshed and reapplied, I want it to place a NEW bleed onto the target, rather than refresh the current one. That way I can simply apply it and move on in my rotation and not have to skip over it for a gcd or 2. This would be worth a slight nerf in the damage of Rupture imo, if we can just reapply it whenever it is up.

2. I still get GCD's when I shouldn't... Not really class feedback but it is very annoying.

3. Make the 4 piece set bonus less ******(PvE, I don't remember the PvP one off hand).

4. Overall I am very pleased with my Annihilation Marauder in PvE and PvP, and sincerely hope that you don't bash up with the nerf bat. I honestly think it is fair that we do tons of damage when we are able to get in close because, like in every other game, range has such a huge advantage being able to stay at... range.

EDIT: I made my own points and didn't bother to read the OP. Best forum poster EVAR!

1. Perceived as OP because I know how to play my class and can top the meters almost all the time. Granted, I do have all the tools to make that happen and some classes do not.

2. I perceive my spec as the best melee dps in the game, with the highest damage output if I am able to stay in close and not switch targets/have a lot of downtime. When Annihilator drops off, damage drops off, and obviously in phases when melee have to run out and the Ranged can keep plowing away health, it's kind of aggravating. I hope BioWare puts some stock into making mdps more sought out for their raids. As it stands most raids can be run with all Ranged and go extremely smooth, but if you run with all mdps, your healer's eyes will bleed, and you're probably not going to have a great time.

Edited by Theninjafuzz

From Other Perspectives:

I have seen other people play against me in Carnage spec, Annihilation spec, and Rage spec, and I think that all the specs are quite versatile in their own way. Carnage speced Marauders are extremely bursty, if we cannot get our Gore off with Ravage/Force-Scream/Berserk then we loose most of our damage output. Annihilation can solo almost any class if played correctly (unless a smart sniper). If I play against a good Power-tech in Pyro-Spec I usually get kited around so much that i cannot die, same with Sorcerers. We can crush them if they are not smart but its all about CC's, Roots, and sustained damage. Rage spec is a whole different story. People will think they are OP simplistically because of the massive amount of burst damage you can output every 12 seconds... but if faced with a smart character there are A LOT of ways to keep that damage away all together; Stun/Root/Run/Push-Back and we most likely will waste the smash. And if you take in Juggernaut Smash vs Marauder Smash there is no contest. there is a good 1000 damage difference per smash if played correctly.

From My Perspective:

I honestly am quite content with our spec as of right now. The only thing that I would say that could make us more viable is making Carnage's Gore effect last more than 4.5 seconds. Being off the G.C.D. is extremely nice, but we can only do one cast of Ravage, which is nice but we could be much more useful if we could have a 5.5 second on it so we could use Force-Scream afterwards or something of the sort. On another note; If you could compare us to a Juggernaut with their jumping abilities it is not fair. They have an ally jump, an enemy jump, and a push back that resets the enemy jump. I think that Marauders should get another gap closer of some sort to even out the playing field. I think I speak for most Marauders when I say, watching a Juggernaut DPS attack a Sniper, and be able to kill them just because of the stun/knock back/jump combo is just not right. We have many defensive CD's to prevent some of the damage from hitting us, but in a 1v1 fight, we will most likely loose. If we were to get a gap-closer and nothing more, I think that it would help us out a lot.

Annihilation:

1) Even though the consensus is that we are over-powered, the same can be said of any class when played correctly. I feel since BioWare's Marauder fixes, that Annihilation Marauders are on par with where they should be within a PvE environment.

2) Bringing an Annihilation Marauder to a PvE situation provides excellent raid utility. Bloodthirst and Predation buffs aside, having the Berserk buff contribute group healing through bleed effects grants Annihilation not only a particular niche and uniqueness, but also makes Annihilation the superior spec within a PvE raiding environment.

Edited by Gruddy

1) Other people percieve us (I'm Carnage) as OP because they do not take the time to learn the mechanics of the game. The VAST majority of our Burst DPS has incredible ~tells~; wheither it's Rage/Smash, Carnage/Gore, Anni/Rupt->Annihlate.

2) I have 1702 str, 456 B.Dmg, 30% crit & 71% Surge. I feel we are right where we should be playing against eqully geared... getting kicked in the Nutz by Smugglers & getting facerolled by Troopers (lil OP right now, but whetever, it's the cyclical nature of the game). Against unequally geared & skilled people... (X.X)

1) Other participant (including my friends in the real world, with which we have repeatedly discussed this issue), the Marauder too ... too strong in Pvp.

2) Marauder has too much dps, but is deprived of crowd control abilities. At first glance it seems that the lack of capacity control (almost complete) makes it a very weak...yeah.. nothing like that. The DSS allows the Killing of 1x1 almost any class (but if you try that in a 1x1 Marauder can be killed, I repeat, that in my opinion this is a very difficult task). The WZ Marauder you can't kill (very hard), because there мародеру very rarely prevent damage.

From a PVP POV

It is perceived as one of the best DPS class which have the survivability of a full geared Tank when the defensive CD are up.

I perceive it as an unbalanced and overpowered class due to the defensive cooldowns. Undying rage need to be fixed and healing received reduced by 100% while active, this is obvious for many of us.

So i would say dps level is fine but survivability need to be reduced a bit for the sake of class balance.

Edited by usernameemanresu

Spec - Rage Marauder

1. The general perception seems to be that rage marauders are weaker than the Carnage or Annihilation trees. However the rage marauder is still considered overpowered compared to other DPS advanced class specs just not to the extent of the other 2 trees.

2. I feel very strong in PvP with this class. And while I can dish out a lot of damage, I am missing a defensive cooldown or 2 that would make me even stronger due to only being level 27 at this point. At this point I die very quickly when focused as I should. I need to get the other defensive cooldowns to see if they will increase my survivability beyond what it acceptable for the damage output I can generate.

I play a Annihilation marauder.

In PvP, I think we're perceived as overpowered. This is mainly due to our self/group healing and cooldowns. This is specifically true in warzones as when pared with a pocket healer, A Marauder is near unstoppable. Even solo a Marauder is pretty hard to take down in a 1v1 fight, 2v1 they're still difficult but not impossible. All this coupled with their interupt potential, makes them a difficult target to take down, however they should be a high priority target for any Warzone group.

In PvE, Again, we're perceived as overpowered. No other class in the game provides the same amount of cooldowns and utility with none of the trade off's. With our cooldowns, we're able to save a raid in the event of a tank death with cooldowns. Predation for kiting, our damage reducing cooldowns coupled with undying rage make marauders one of the most valuable classes after tanks and healers to have inside a raid group, You can also pretty much guarantee that a Marauder will be 2nd on threat after a tank. With these cooldowns, marauders can tank for up to 30 seconds or more before having to force camo to avoid death and hopefully drop agro to yet another marauder. All of this coupled with on demand group healing, movement speed buffs, damage and healing buffs make marauders one of the most desirable classes in any raid group.

Overpowered. but not by as much as people say.

Our self healing needs a nerf, currently its 1% of our/group members health. how about nerfing it to 25% of the bleed tick damage? or make the healing only proc from saber ward or rupture ticks, not both.

Reduce the chance of rupture procing from Viscious slash/Annihilate.

Make bloodthirst a raid wide cooldown but make the ability cause a debuff on anyone effected. This will prevent moving people around the groups mid fight to stack bloodthirsts and then move back into more beneficial groups for healing.

Edited by invizion

Combat/Carnage(Yes I have a 50 sent and mara)

1) We are seen as op by most due to our defensive cooldowns. But we would be severly up without them.

2) I see my spec as very balanced. I would like to see precision slash have charges instead of a set duration but that is the only complaint I have.

Don't mess with me 1v1; if I am seen heading solo to a wz node, people call for help, and 2vs me is often not enough.

Very fun if I am alert for cooldowns, know when I'm being focused, follow others' cooldowns. I feel a little squishy without defensive cooldowns available but even then I can usually just leap away and get out of the mess I got myself into.