Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Why should I have to spend credits on content other players enjoy for free?

Why is there all this relentless focus on finding a way not to see the option to [Flirt] with a character's own gender, while no one cares abour opposite-gender content, Dark Side content or other such points in conversations where one is faced with a significant choice?

People who are bothered by that choose the other options. I have never seen an argument why this should be treated any differently other than "because I don't like it".

I agree. I think this would be no different from the "sex-switch" that's been mentioned before, and has the feel of prostitution. I think the Boot/Kill companion that is also in the Dragon Age games is the best option available.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say they'd be hero-sexual (because I'm sure they'll add in new OGRA).

Hmm. I'd like to see a few new species - I'd love a Voss companion, actually. Perhaps a Voss exile who's rejected the teachings of his/her culture and struck out to see the galaxy. I'd prefer not to have such a Voss be a failed Mystic, simply because that's a tad too obvious.

I'd like a Nautolan companion, too, perhaps even the one within the JK class story - he could join the JK after level 50 (though of course that would imply you left him alive).

I'd love it if the Sith Inquisitor got a slightly deranged (and non-Force user) devotee, a worship sort of set-up that could amuse, irritate or please the SI as the player saw fit.

Yes, we need a new topic.

Oh, how about...if they do implement SGRA with new characters, what type of person would you want available?

I guess my only real preference is that they be written as companions, as characters, first, and as SGRA options last. By which I mean I don't want to see a companion specifically written to be "the gay option", because it seems to be almost inevitable when that's done that you get stereotypes and less well-developed characters, where being gay is their only significant trait.

In terms of what I do want... Watcher Two! I don't care that she's not technically a new character, she'd still be a new companion :D

But in general, I just want variety, with adorably awkward and flustered agents, tough soldiers, hotheaded Jedi-in-training, or anything else we presently see. It'd also be nice on my end to be able to play basically the same sort of character as I would if they were the other gender, i.e. let my female smuggler hit on any woman that wanders by whilst being utterly convinced of how charming and irresistible she is.

I agree. I think this would be no different from the "sex-switch" that's been mentioned before, and has the feel of prostitution. I think the Boot/Kill companion that is also in the Dragon Age games is the best option available.

And in a shameless plug for one of my own suggestions, the problem of people whining that they killed off someone they want back is totally solved if you make class storylines replayable.

If this does go in, just don't handle it unequally; let us boot/kill everyone, preferably kill, but with an incredibly good reason why we were only able to kick them out if you need them to survive for a later spot in the class quest. The amount of time I spent raging in DA2 that my Templar couldn't kill Merrill...

Hmm. I'd like to see a few new species.

I like Cathar, but hesitated to say so.

I thought the Cathar master one brings the flesh-eater baby to on Tython looked (and sounded) really cool.

I'd love it if the Sith Inquisitor got a slightly deranged (and non-Force user) devotee, a worship sort of set-up that could amuse, irritate or please the SI as the player saw fit.

That's pretty much the inverse of the concept of my Rattataki bounty hunter. He's messed up in a lot of ways, but part of the mix is definitely an unwholesome fascination with Sith mysticism. It wouldn't work giving him a subordinate who was an Inquisitor, really, but I like the set up otherwise.

Why should I have to spend credits on content other players enjoy for free?

Why is there all this relentless focus on finding a way not to see the option to [Flirt] with a character's own gender, while no one cares abour opposite-gender content, Dark Side content or other such points in conversations where one is faced with a significant choice?

People who are bothered by that choose the other options. I have never seen an argument why this should be treated any differently other than "because I don't like it."

20,000 credits isnt much money... I was just saying it was something I thought would be neat. I imagine having the flirt option pop up could really bother some people. Hell even make it a free purchase. Anyway, I'm 100% for as I'm gay and would love to see these options. I was just trying to think of a way that would make everyone happy... But that's probably the Canadian in me talking.

I guess my only real preference is that they be written as companions, as characters, first, and as SGRA options last. By which I mean I don't want to see a companion specifically written to be "the gay option", because it seems to be almost inevitable when that's done that you get stereotypes and less well-developed characters, where being gay is their only significant trait.

Oh, I agree.

In terms of what I do want... Watcher Two! I don't care that she's not technically a new character, she'd still be a new companion :D

Ha, yes...that's who my Agent wants. I think she counts...after finishing the IA storyline, I'd love to have her on the ship full-time. I believe she has some form of romance now with the male IA but I don't think it's as involved as the companion ones...so they could add in a new romance path for females and add in more content for the continuation with males (or to start it anew if you passed on it before).

So to the original question I should add: are there any existing non-companion NPCs that any of you would want as full companion/romance options?

So to the original question I should add: are there any existing non-companion NPCs that any of you would want as full companion/romance options?

Reflection in the Sith Warrior Tatooine quest.

Despite my latent homophobia, I can see myself hitting him hard.:D

20,000 credits isnt much money... I was just saying it was something I thought would be neat. I imagine having the flirt option pop up could really bother some people. Hell even make it a free purchase. Anyway, I'm 100% for as I'm gay and would love to see these options. I was just trying to think of a way that would make everyone happy... But that's probably the Canadian in me talking.

20, 000 credits is a lot to me, but then I am still leveling.

And I don't see why I should have to pay in any event in order to indulge someone else's intolerance (as is, they are unwilling to tolerate even seeing an available prompt). That might make them happy, but it won't leave me any too pleased.

I don't think accomodating that sort of attitude toward others encourages good sportsmanship or any other values conducive to a diverse and tolerant player community. You won't find a way to make everyone happy. I won't be happy if they receive more preferential treatment than they have already been shown, and they won't be happy if they aren't.

If this is going into the game, it should go in just like the content which is already in the game. To a certain extent, it is already too late for that because the game is here, opposite-gender content is here and same-gender content is not even being discussed.

But if it is a matter of only including it hedged about with caveats and filters and barriers and obstacles to keep anyone who doesn't like it from knowing it is there? You know, I think they may as well leave it out, rather than treat it inherently objectionable and unworthy of equitable treatment.

Yes, we need a new topic.

Oh, how about...if they do implement SGRA with new characters, what type of person would you want available?

Honestly, I'd love to see an Echani companion with the Bounty Hunter, merely for the fact that (in my headcanon at least. I haven't gotten past Dromund Kaas yet, so I'm holding out still.) my BH is a Mandalorian, and while the two are both warrior races, they're so culturally different from one another that the tension (sexual or not) would be awesome.

No. I am asking that if they allow homosexual relationships into game, I have to option to avoid them altogether and have no homosexual companions. If someone wants homosexual relationships in the game, I am not stopping them. Why should I be forced into a situation that I don't want to be a part of?

Just to address this bit...

Yes, you're asking for special treatment. "If they add this, I want them to add this other thing, for me, so I don't have to see it." That's pretty much the definition of wanting special treatment.

Again, let me ask you -- where do they draw the line with "things I don't want to be part of?" Should there be a toggle that turns off the ability to torture Vette? Should there be a toggle that turns off the ability to see war-widows being abused? Should there be a toggle to turn off seeing slaves being abused and degraded by their masters?

Why should you get a toggle for the thing YOU don't want to see, but someone else who might be offended/turned off by those other things not get one? What makes your situation special? And where do you draw the line, before the whole game becomes toggle-able?

Just like you don't want to be forced into a situation you don't want to be part of? How would you like it if they forced a companion on you that spouted hatred against something that you are for? Say you are homosexual and they gave you a in-game companion that spouted insults and hatred against homosexuality? You would not like that, and you would like the option to not have that companion, as it would be extremely offensive to you. All I ask is that it become an option to have homosexual tendencies or not.

Where the hell does THIS rant come from? This sounds like a serious case of projection.