Just read Deceived (by Paul S. Kemp)

csant

I've been reading a lot of SW books of late and I just finish Deceived and wow... I absolutely loved it. Felt kinda short and I wanted more... but what a great read. Darth Malgus sacking of the jedi temple (to go along with the SWTOR cut scenes) was epic. His fight with Master Zallow was pretty cool... but Aryn Leneer his padawan going after Malgus was just awesome.

Im now starting the 9 book series legacy of the force. I already know some spoilers too... so, I kinda know what happens just dont know when. heh

Anyway, wasnt Aryn Leneer a ****** character.

Totally agree on those two fights (and loved the cutscene of the sacking, makes me wonder which came first)

That last fight with Zeerid made me wince a couple of times, but Vrath has certainly influenced me to make a few cyborg characters

Any reason why you're jumping from Deceived to books well beyond The Old Republic timeline?

Edited by Kremsau

No reason... is there more that kinda tie into Deceived or after?

there's 4 old republic books. deceived, revan, annihilation, and fatal alliance.

revan deals with well if cant guess by the title than fail

annihilation is about teron shaun

fatal alliance is about a 3 way race to grab so shiny droid tek from a hidden planet.

Why would I be attacked by Revan Fanbois? I dont get it...

Clearly, my intervention saved you from them!

Anyways, the reason is that they seem to dislike the book for one reason or the other. (most likely because their divine figure is not the invincible god they had always thought he was)

Clearly, my intervention saved you from them!

Anyways, the reason is that they seem to dislike the book for one reason or the other. (most likely because their divine figure is not the invincible god they had always thought he was)

The characters of Meetra and Revan left no impression on me like they should have, especially given the back stories they already had, Drew made Revan and Meetra boring more times than not. Now I may be wrong, it's been some time since I read the book. But, going in I was expecting a story about Revan, what I remember getting was, some revan, some Exile, lot of Scourge, Which really, to be fair the book could have been given a different name, a more fitting name, because, while yes the book tells us what happens to Revan, it was clearly not the focus. I didn't want invincible god Revan, but I didn't want boring either. I'm no fanboy but the book was just poorly put together and dragged more times than I was comfortable with, and it was rather forgettable.

The characters of Meetra and Revan left no impression on me like they should have, especially given the back stories they already had, Drew made Revan and Meetra boring more times than not. Now I may be wrong, it's been some time since I read the book. But, going in I was expecting a story about Revan, what I remember getting was, some revan, some Exile, lot of Scourge, Which really, to be fair the book could have been given a different name, a more fitting name, because, while yes the book tells us what happens to Revan, it was clearly not the focus. I didn't want invincible god Revan, but I didn't want boring either. I'm no fanboy but the book was just poorly put together and dragged more times than I was comfortable with, and it was rather forgettable.

I thought it bridged the gap fairly well. I think it was semi-important to shift the gaze off of Revan since his role in SW:TOR is so muted.

Given Scourge's role in SW:TOR's Jedi Knight story (and the fact that story was done by the same author) it was probably a little self serving. Since my first character was a Jedi Knight, it felt very much like the backstory / prequel and I'm VERY happy I read it prior to beginning the story.

I thought it bridged the gap fairly well. I think it was semi-important to shift the gaze off of Revan since his role in SW:TOR is so muted.

Given Scourge's role in SW:TOR's Jedi Knight story (and the fact that story was done by the same author) it was probably a little self serving. Since my first character was a Jedi Knight, it felt very much like the backstory / prequel and I'm VERY happy I read it prior to beginning the story.

While I understand what you're saying the book is called Revan, it's misleading to take a big part of the books focus off the title character, regardless of his role in the game, the book is called Revan, people who know the character buy it to find out what happened with him, and people who didnt play the KOTOR games likely expect the focus of the book to be on this guy in the mask, but I feel we can both agree, We were deceived :cool:

Oh for the record, loved the Deceived book.

I actually liked the Scourge part and read through the book incredibly fast. From what I've seen, a lot of Revan fans were upset because he lost and they felt he should have roflstomped the Emperor.

I actually liked the Scourge part and read through the book incredibly fast. From what I've seen, a lot of Revan fans were upset because he lost and they felt he should have roflstomped the Emperor.

I kinda liked the Scourge part also. But, I didn't buy the book to find out how Scourge became who he is. I bought it to find out the secret of Revans final days. In regards to the roflstomping, I too have seen Revan fans up in arms over this, however I'm not upset that he lost, I'm upset that Drew, the writer of the Bane trilogy which to this day is my favorite of any star wars books, should've been more than capable of writing a better story, a gripping tale putting all readers on edge. I didn't want a curb stomp from either side, regardless not once in the entire fight did I feel they had a chance at winning. He dropped the ball, he had Revan and Meetra, and the way he handled them, it almost seemed like they were an afterthought, as if he wrote the story and then remembered he had to include those two. Never mind anyone who played them, they have canon history, they each made decisions that shaped the galaxy, and Drew just threw them away. The writing these characters started with was top notch, what they ended with was, sad. The Emperor didnt defeat these two, Drew did.

Edited by SaiyanElite

I can see where you are coming from, but I on the other hand had no history with Revan (didn't play any of the KotoR's games). So to me the book was pretty good, could've been better yeah, but it was still a pretty good read.

I just started reading SW books and from the last have read I would rate them in the following order;

1. Bane series

2. Deceived

3. Thrawn Trilogy

4. Survivor's Quest

5. Revan

I just finish Betrayal and Im not quite sure what to think... I found the writing to be boring, but maybe it was because its the first of a 9 book series.

I can see where you are coming from, but I on the other hand had no history with Revan (didn't play any of the KotoR's games). So to me the book was pretty good, could've been better yeah, but it was still a pretty good read.

I just started reading SW books and from the last have read I would rate them in the following order;

1. Bane series

2. Deceived

3. Thrawn Trilogy

4. Survivor's Quest

5. Revan

I just finish Betrayal and Im not quite sure what to think... I found the writing to be boring, but maybe it was because its the first of a 9 book series.

I completely agree on the Bane place in your list, and Deceived as well. And considering this to be your introduction to the characters I can understand why you may like the Revan book better than myself, with that in mind I can understand how its the last on your list. Also, you should give the Kotor games a shot, if you feel so inclined.

• 4 years later...

Conserning Paul S. Kemps book - one of the things I appreciated the most was "the disarmement" of Aryn, as she met Eleena:

"...The anger she'd carried since feeling Master Zallow's death began to shrink, to drain out of her in the face of the Twi'lek´s pain and sadness, in the realization that her own pain was not the moral center of the universe.."