Male Smuggler Voice Actor Changed?

HoloTweed

I may be out of the loop for this, since I didn't play a Male Smuggler through KotFEET and just vaulted one past that to JUS... but he doesn't sound like the same voice actor used through at least Ziost. (Noticed it first when reclaiming Akaavi in Tatooine.)

What's the word?

Maury Sterling has always had a sharp voice, of course as one gets older the muscles in the larynx changes and that area has always been guided by hormonal changes. Maury is 47 years old, so it isn't uncommon for the modulation to change somewhat. Not every person is effected in the same way, but it eventually happens.

Sounded like the same guy to me, just with an older more gravelly voice. It's been at least 8 years since the original voice recordings for the vanilla game, after all.

Doc's voice actor reflects similar changes. I watched the Ossus cutscenes on YouTube and at first I thought they'd switched out Doc's VA too. Then I compared it with cutscenes from the original Knight class story and it does indeed seem like it's the same guy, but with an 'older', scratchier, deeper voice. Maybe both VAs smoke? Not to mention it's been 4-8 years since these voice actors read these characters, so they may well have lost the old 'groove' they had for the person in the intervening time.

Edited by AscendingSky

Doc's voice actor reflects similar changes. I watched the Ossus cutscenes on YouTube and at first I thought they'd switched out Doc's VA too. Then I compared it with cutscenes from the original Knight class story and it does indeed seem like it's the same guy, but with an 'older', scratchier, deeper voice. Maybe both VAs smoke? Not to mention it's been 4-8 years since these voice actors read these characters, so they may well have lost the old 'groove' they had for the person in the intervening time.

Vector too, when he came back. I kinda loved it.

They should put in the VA contracts no smoking, drinking, or excessive screaming for 10 years.

What are you trying to do, kill voice acting as a profession? :p

But even without smoking, drinking, or excessive screaming a person's voice will change over time as they age.

What are you trying to do, kill voice acting as a profession? :p

But even without smoking, drinking, or excessive screaming a person's voice will change over time as they age.

Very true. I'm male and 50, and my voice is as strong and as controllable as it's ever going to get. It's all downhill from here.