Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lunafox
04.25.2018 , 12:51 AM | #6041
That's a lovely story. I love young Thorns, he's just as adorable then as now. Maybe more so. I loved the point he made about the gift that you get it yourself and properly or else it's not a gift. He seems such a sweet guy and he really does seem to think of Iz as more than just a best friend. I like the chemistry between them. Mox sounds like an as.s and a problem. I really enjoyed getting to see him as a young guy.
Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

frauzet
04.28.2018 , 06:13 AM | #6042
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
That's a lovely story. I love young Thorns, he's just as adorable then as now. Maybe more so. I loved the point he made about the gift that you get it yourself and properly or else it's not a gift. He seems such a sweet guy and he really does seem to think of Iz as more than just a best friend. I like the chemistry between them. Mox sounds like an as.s and a problem. I really enjoyed getting to see him as a young guy.
Thank you for the lovely comment! I am glad you enjoy young Thorns. I do love him and Iz, and writing about them.

Thorns could have been a nice person, given other opportunities. As it is, his life isn't built around our usual moral codes, even though he managed to save some from his earlier childhood.
To him in his environment, there is nothing more than best friends. That's the highest status someone can achieve in his book. Despite her flaws, which he isn't oblivious to, he'd trust Iz with his life any time. She has had his back since he met her, or better since she decided to adopt this little urchin with the flaming red mop of hair and eyes so blue you failed to notice the rest of his dirty face. When push comes to shove he can count on her. In a way she is more family to him than his brother. They've had sex -- the roof could probably tell many more stories -- but Iz doesn't do exclusive. (Iz' origin used to be a friend's OC, and I try to stay true to her nature.) I try to show how Thorns is still somewhat struggling with the concept, while Iz has some more practice with it, she is two years older, after all, and at their age this is a lot.
Mox introduced himself to me when I started this story. He is somewhere in his early to mid twenties, big, buff and at this point definitely more of an eyecatcher than Thorns. Mox' problem is his job. While Thorns is an assassin, Mox' business is intimidation, and being intimidating isn't something he can put on and take off like a coat, it has become second nature to him. It doesn't take more to be a red flag for Thorns. And obviously Mox offers something to Iz Thorns can't give her.
The nice thing about writing first person is, Thorns gets to claim Iz' relationship with Mox doesn't affect his judgement of Mox, and the readers get to decide for themselves whether they believe him or not.
If either Thorns or Mox were sent by their boss, I know whom I'd rather meet. I'd regret meeting Mox, but at least I'd still be alive to do so.
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

frauzet
04.28.2018 , 06:16 AM | #6043
Week of April 27, 2018

Reunited: Characters who spend time apart must come back together. Do they look forward to it? Dread it? Count every moment until they can reunite, or invent ways to prolong the separation? Do they have any special rituals? A particular knock or bell ring, a call to their partner, a hug or kiss? Furtively sneaking in and hope no one notices? How do they catch up? Long conversations? Bare mumbles? Did it matter for them how long they’ve been apart? Is a few hours separation as hard to bear as a month?

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Losing Confidence - everyone has a crisis of confidence at some point. For a character, it might be a minor setback early in their story, setting them off on their path. It could occur later, where overcoming the self-imposed obstacle is the dramatic moment. Or it could even be a recurring theme throughout their story. This week, write about a time your character lost confidence in their skills or abilities, and what they did about it.

Xenobiology - Different species means more than different skin colors. It means different entirely different physiologies. Having friends whose bodies work so differently from your own can make things complicated, as everything from how you relax to how you dress and what your beauty rituals are (what is “lekku buffing”, anyway?). How do your characters deal with differing biologies that they encounter?

frauzet
05.06.2018 , 04:37 AM | #6044
A bit late, but here is the latest prompt from the S.F.W.C. over on tumblr:

Week of May 4, 2018

Ordinary Heroes: Your character might be a hero in their own right, and they probably had many others to look up to. So who in their lives was a hero to them by being nothing other than themselves? Who did they admire as a person? Whose example did they hope to follow? Was it a relative who always accepted them, no questions asked? A shopkeeper who always had a kind word for everyone they met? A teacher who expected the best and wouldn’t take less–and who also helped students discover what their best looked like? Write a story involving an influence on your character’s character. (inspired by This Post. May the Fourth Be With You)

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Good Things Come in Small Packages: write a drabble, around 100 words, on any previous prompt or none at all. Some sources put drabbles at anywhere from 53 words on the low end to 500 at the upper end. The majority of our stories being in the 500-1500 word range. Let’s push that lower limit. We had an unofficial drabble week a long time ago. This time it’s for real.

Worst Day Ever - Everybody has a bad day. So do our characters. Maybe it was in their class story - like getting your ship stolen on your birthday - or maybe it was something that happened before or after. Whether it genuinely was the worst day or your character was just in a bad mood and something happened to make it worse, write about a day that made them call it “the worst day ever”.

drug_cartel
05.06.2018 , 08:50 PM | #6045
When Pedestals Topple (Prompt - Character's Hero and Personal Influence)

Starring "Pansey" the Mirialan Sith Warrior from Satele Shan server

Spoiler

Lord_Thorne
05.09.2018 , 03:38 AM | #6046
Total newbie here, I hope I'm not intruding. I just thought I'd check out this thread and read the above prompt. It brought to mind the final scene of a longer story I wrote a couple years ago. So, with some trepidation, I submit the following revised version of that old story.
The main character, Photin, is a fairly new Jedi Knight. (Prompt: Ordinary Heroes)

Keeping Promises
Spoiler
Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.
"The incomprehensibility of your statement in no way validates it." (HK-51)
"I'm a lump with a bad attitude! Honor! Misplaced loyalty! Grr!" (Z0-OM)

Kitar
05.09.2018 , 08:22 PM | #6047
Ohhh new people, I like new people
Welcome drug_cartel and Lord_Thorne.

@drug
Spoiler

@Lord_Thorne
We don't mind noobies You have to start posting sometime.
Spoiler

frauzet
05.10.2018 , 05:14 AM | #6048
Welcome to the thread! It's always nice to see new writers share their stories with us.
Feel free to use any prompt you like, or none at all.

@drug_cartel: Playing a SW whose race isn't among the ones the story was initially written for does make for some awkward scenes. You found a plausible solution for the way Tremel talks. It makes me see him in a very different light.I do wonder how long it will take Pansey to change her mind about Baras.

@Lord_Thorne: You did a good job of bringing the scene to life. And I am definitely curious to learn more about Photin and Scooter.

frauzet
05.10.2018 , 04:07 PM | #6049
I got a story for an old prompt. Here is an "Uninvited Guest"

Note: I chose the title of Taral’Ari (Lord Commander) for Ru, since he and Nik agreed that while sharing the Emperor inside their head was one thing, sharing the same title was something totally different.

The story contains minor KotFE spoilers

Spoiler

frauzet
05.12.2018 , 08:49 AM | #6050
This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of May 11, 2018

Censored! [Redacted] Strikethrough! Restricted! Takedown!: When has your character encountered censorship? What was it? Something they wanted or needed but weren’t allowed? Why? Something they created that was blacked out, altered, or removed? Was it a report, a discovery, a work of art or fiction? Did they agree with the censor or fight the decision? What problems occured because of the restriction–or lack thereof?

Communication Breakdown - Trying to communicate with each other when things are going well is hard enough, but our characters have plenty of other things that can get in the way. Bad com channels, language barriers, broken holo feeds - all those can mess up a conversation. Not to mention people who just plain don’t understand each other…

Mission Accomplished - Ever wonder what exactly goes down when you send your companions on those crew skill missions? How does Khem handle diplomacy missions, for example? Write about your character sending one of his or her crew members on an assignment - your character can only appear when giving the mission; focus on a companion. Suggested by kodrevas!