Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

You say it like it's not true. What's true is people have ask for it for BOTH reasons. I just disagree with asking for it for the one reason. You seem to think (and I could be wrong) that I'm against it, I'm not. I just don't think that arguement belongs on the GAME forum.

"I imagine my character this way! Help make it happen please?!" is different. Sorry. Just is.

And you keep asking how SGR NPC couples would support our characters getting SGRs. IS that not the same as us asking for this because we feel it would provide more lore and make the fact that our characters are into the same gender less out of the blue/weird?

Edited by stormdrakelord

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you keep asking how SGR NPC couples would support our characters getting SGRs. IS that not the same as us asking for this because we feel it would provide more lore and make the fact that our characters are into the same gender less out of the blue/weird?

But that's not why it was ask by the one poster in his statement.

And what lore does it actually provide? I thought we already knew not all characters were OGR in the lore when people begged to have SGR added in. Again, not against it, I think the writers should come up with their stories and put them in as THEY imagine them. Not, "Hmmm...let me change this to a SGR pair NPC on second read through, because people want me to show them support." Basically, the idea of "Let the artist create" is turning into "Let the artist do as I say"

As someone who loves to write, I'd hate it if someone came up to me and told me I should change my story, even a little flavor background that means nothing in the grand scheme of things, just so I show some sort of support. Let's not go about the idea of "force support for supports sake" lets go for "I hope the company with do this on their own" as it means much more.

But that's not why it was ask by the one poster in his statement.

And what lore does it actually provide? I thought we already knew not all characters were OGR in the lore when people begged to have SGR added in. Again, not against it, I think the writers should come up with their stories and put them in as THEY imagine them. Not, "Hmmm...let me change this to a SGR pair NPC on second read through, because people want me to show them support." Basically, the idea of "Let the artist create" is turning into "Let the artist do as I say"

As someone who loves to write, I'd hate it if someone came up to me and told me I should change my story, even a little flavor background that means nothing in the grand scheme of things, just so I show some sort of support. Let's not go about the idea of "force support for supports sake" lets go for "I hope the company with do this on their own" as it means much more.

If there are characters in the universe that are in a SGR with a S/S partner, it would actually show that it means something in the universe, whereas right now, it seems like something Bioware added because they were getting pressured to do it.

plus, didn't Tatile say they weren't gonna read this thread for suggestions? because i see no problem discussing an idea if they come up with quests that are not like the ones on this thread.

so the question to you, sithkoriandr, is now, what did you think with were talking about the idea for, to get them to use the idea, or just to discuss the possibility of them adding SGR NPC/NPC couples.

Edited by stormdrakelord

If there are characters in the universe that are in a SGR with a S/S partner, it would actually show that it means something in the universe, whereas right now, it seems like something Bioware added because they were getting pressured to do it.

plus, didn't Tatile say they weren't gonna read this thread for suggestions? because i see no problem discussing an idea if they come up with quests that are not like the ones on this thread.

so the question to you, sithkoriandr, is now, what did you think with were talking about the idea for, to get them to use the idea, or just to discuss the possibility of them adding SGR NPC/NPC couples.

You don't think they were pressured?

I think the idea was talked about to offer up a suggestion for a future quest, the wording of "to show us support and not to look like they were pressured" was imo bad form. :p

Haven't people been asking for it since launch because it would make the game more fun for them?

Since before launch, actually. I was in the beta and I reported lack of SGRAs as a bug because it seemed so natural and expected that, as a Bioware game, they'd be there. And I know for a fact that I wasn't alone in that because a fair number of other people have posted that they did the same.

Since before launch, actually. I was in the beta and I reported lack of SGRAs as a bug because it seemed so natural and expected that, as a Bioware game, they'd be there. And I know for a fact that I wasn't alone in that because a fair number of other people have posted that they did the same.

Now see, I actually agree it should have been in from the start. Not that I've played the other BW games to have the "But...its a BW game!" mentality, but it seems like something you would at least go "Eh, put it in" especially with todays playbase. You know it's going to be asked for. You know remarks are going to be made as "OMG YOU HATE US!"

Sounds like it would have saved trouble/issues from the start.

I'm willing to accept their answer as truthful to why it wasn't however. With their recent message to the players, I take it the money aspect wasn't so much the voice acting or cutscenes, but just adding in more options and then having to cover those options.

So question, did they respond with anything different in beta? Where there a couple of SGRs in beta, that where then removed (like killing companions was) possibly because they thought they'd get hell for only a couple of classes getting the option of SGR instead of all of them?

true, but SGRs is a "Cause" and people are begging for it "For the cause".

I have to admit that personally I don't care why people want it in because that's their own business and I don't have the right to dictate whether their reasons are 'worthy' or not. I don't care if it's a cause to some people, a story-motivated thing to others, a fetish thing to some, an expression of romantic interest to others. Everyone is going to have different reasons for wanting this feature. I don't think anyone here has the moral high ground to say that one reason for inclusion is somehow more objectively valid than another.

I want the feature in. I want it in place. I have specific personal reasons for doing so but they're not dramatically relevant to the bigger picture. I want it done well, of course, but if one person wants it in because she gets her jollies watching to boys kiss, another wants it in because they can't relate to a romance if it doesn't align to a certain sexuality and yet another wants it in because they feel it's desperately wrong not to have their sexuality represented, well, that shouldn't matter. It's pointless to fixate on why individuals want the feature because there will always be people who want SGRAs for different reasons. In any case it's not particularly relevant to the larger and more important matter of getting it implemented.

Now see, I actually agree it should have been in from the start. Not that I've played the other BW games to have the "But...its a BW game!" mentality, but it seems like something you would at least go "Eh, put it in" especially with todays playbase. You know it's going to be asked for. You know remarks are going to be made as "OMG YOU HATE US!"

Sounds like it would have saved trouble/issues from the start.

Likewise. It should have been and it would have saved all sorts of trouble. This thread, for a start. I can imagine its existence is a headache for the developers.

I'm willing to accept their answer as truthful to why it wasn't however. With their recent message to the players, I take it the money aspect wasn't so much the voice acting or cutscenes, but just adding in more options and then having to cover those options.

'Time and resources,' I think was their reason. I don't have any reason to believe that wasn't true. I know a lot of people think they're lying but I haven't seen any convincing evidence or argument to make me think they were telling porky pies.

I don't, however, believe that it's at all a priority to them nowadays.

So question, did they respond with anything different in beta? Where there a couple of SGRs in beta, that where then removed (like killing companions was) possibly because they thought they'd get hell for only a couple of classes getting the option of SGR instead of all of them?

When I put in my bug report I got a reply that said SGRAs weren't going to be in (or 'weren't yet a feature', I can't remember which exactly). I don't recall exactly but I don't believe it gave a reason why.

However there were some (heterosexual) NPC flirts that were in Beta that never made it past launch. I don't know whether they thought they'd put in too many; they seemed pretty innocuous to me at the time. I didn't see the whole game during Beta so I couldn't say for sure if there were SGR flirts but I suspect not. And from the look of the forums at the time there definitely weren't any SGRA companion romances in Beta despite there being what looked to me like strong support for them.

I have to admit that personally I don't care why people want it in because that's their own business and I don't have the right to dictate whether their reasons are 'worthy' or not. I don't care if it's a cause to some people, a story-motivated thing to others, a fetish thing to some, an expression of romantic interest to others. Everyone is going to have different reasons for wanting this feature. I don't think anyone here has the moral high ground to say that one reason for inclusion is somehow more objectively valid than another.

I want the feature in. I want it in place. I have specific personal reasons for doing so but they're not dramatically relevant to the bigger picture. I want it done well, of course, but if one person wants it in because she gets her jollies watching to boys kiss, another wants it in because they can't relate to a romance if it doesn't align to a certain sexuality and yet another wants it in because they feel it's desperately wrong not to have their sexuality represented, well, that shouldn't matter. It's pointless to fixate on why individuals want the feature because there will always be people who want SGRAs for different reasons. In any case it's not particularly relevant to the larger and more important matter of getting it implemented.

So why care when we've had posters not want it in for their own personal reasons? Which is why I think it's best to leave it "Want it in and here's some suggestions!" and "Don't want it in" When you put in certain reasons as mentioned, you're telling me you haven't noticed them getting upset when people on the opposite side of the line use the same reasoning for their position? Because I have.

Now obviously it's to late for the "Don't want it in" and just as expected, putting it in hasn't hurt the game in anyway. Makes me wonder if those who said they'd unsub did so or not, and now that it's in, if those who said they'd come back once it was in (it's in now) have come back!

However there were some (heterosexual) NPC flirts that were in Beta that never made it past launch. I don't know whether they thought they'd put in too many; they seemed pretty innocuous to me at the time. I didn't see the whole game during Beta so I couldn't say for sure if there were SGR flirts but I suspect not. And from the look of the forums at the time there definitely weren't any SGRA companion romances in Beta despite there being what looked to me like strong support for them.

Hmmm...thinking about it, putting in a [Flirt] option for everyone seems like it may have saved some trouble in the choices department too.

1) Serious mode

2) Sarcastic/Snarky mode

3) Flirt mode

At least for the starting of the conversation.

So why care when we've had posters not want it in for their own personal reasons?

The difference is the matter of inclusion. Adding in SGRAs adds in more options to the game and that's a positive thing. Demanding it not be put in (or demanding it be removed) lowers the amount of options in the game and that's a bad thing.

Similarly to not being overly relevant to the bigger picture why someone wants the feature included I feel it's not overly relevant to the bigger picture why someone wants it not included. I'll argue specifics at times but in the end 'I don't want this in' means 'I don't think you should have this option' and to me that's not on.

So no, I don't overly care if someone argues about protecting children from sexuality matters or if they argue immersion or population percentages or political agendas. I might find their personal opinions repugnant on a personal level but in a bigger picture view it doesn't matter to me at all. That they're arguing against the feature being implemented and thus demanding people have fewer in-game options for enjoying everything SWTOR has to offer - THAT I care about.

In the end, if you do not like an idea, do not post "How does this support our characters?" or something like that. It basically says you want nothing in the game unless it helps our characters in some way, and would rather have characters that are exclusively homosexual for our character and if they are not [FLIRT]able with our character, they should not have an orientation.

*this is not specifically for sithkoriandr, but in general*

In the end, if you do not like an idea, do not post "How does this support our characters?" or something like that. It basically says you want nothing in the game unless it helps our characters in some way, and would rather have characters that are exclusively homosexual for our character and if they are not [FLIRT]able with our character, they should not have an orientation.

*this is not specifically for sithkoriandr, but in general*

Then you might be looking to much into the question, as I know I've asked the question, and Ive been in support of SGR.

Maybe don't see every comment made as some sort of attack? It's an odd thing, you look back through the thread and you see a lot of "if you don't agree with how I want it 100% you're obviously against it"

Then you might be looking to much into the question, as I know I've asked the question, and Ive been in support of SGR.

Maybe don't see every comment made as some sort of attack? It's an odd thing, you look back through the thread and you see a lot of "if you don't agree with how I want it 100% you're obviously against it"

That was just the vibe a got from that part, no need to get your undies in a bunch.

That was just the vibe a got from that part, no need to get your undies in a bunch.

No undies in a bunch here.

Now that said, we have SGR, what has been everyone's impression so far. Obviously it's not the companion so many wanted, but happy with the storyline? Think they'll make them cartel purchase companions? Thoughts?

Now that said, we have SGR, what has been everyone's impression so far. Obviously it's not the companion so many wanted, but happy with the storyline? Think they'll make them cartel purchase companions? Thoughts?

I have early access but still haven't played it. From what I've read, though, it seems interesting.

I have early access, but haven't had a chance to play it. (Ie: I haven't actually got characters in the right position for the SGR flirty thingy romancey thing bit whatever it really is.)

My characters are, with one level ~7 exception, all female. My level 50s are both Empire. I have been working hard on my Smuggler to get her to 50 (she just dinged 40 a short time ago) so I can see the Republic side of things, and experience SGR. I have to admit, churning through Makeb to get just a once off flirt type of thing on my Empire characters doesn't seem all that appealing to me... and running my Smuggler up is reminding me how I hate hate hate levelling in this game. (Hoth, AGAIN? Oh please, shoot me, shoot me now. And I have Belsavis to look forward too, oh joy!)

(I do have a level 50 Republic character sitting on Harbinger, but she was part of a pair, the her pair's player no longer plays and while I can still get ~30ms latency on Dalborra (until they finally merge us, and I go full circle back to Harbinger), I am not about to head off and play on a US server with ~300ms latency.)

/me is tired, cranky, and generally not in a happy mood. Hoth is literally giving me a headache.

Note to Bioware: Introduce more levelling content for all levels and both factions please. Making it so that you literally can't hit level cap without doing dailies is a very bad idea for people like me.

Note to Bioware2: Please do not put future Companions, SGR or not, on the Cartel Market. That would probably be the final straw for me. It's bad enough that Cathar are going to be CM only.

Edited by Zandilar

I have early access, but haven't had a chance to play it. (Ie: I haven't actually got characters in the right position for the SGR flirty thingy romancey thing bit whatever it really is.)

My characters are, with one level ~7 exception, all female. My level 50s are both Empire. I have been working hard on my Smuggler to get her to 50 (she just dinged 40 a short time ago) so I can see the Republic side of things, and experience SGR. I have to admit, churning through Makeb to get just a once off flirt type of thing on my Empire characters doesn't seem all that appealing to me... and running my Smuggler up is reminding me how I hate hate hate levelling in this game. (Hoth, AGAIN? Oh please, shoot me, shoot me now. And I have Belsavis to look forward too, oh joy!)

(I do have a level 50 Republic character sitting on Harbinger, but she was part of a pair, the her pair's player no longer plays and while I can still get ~30ms latency on Dalborra (until they finally merge us, and I go full circle back to Harbinger), I am not about to head off and play on a US server with ~300ms latency.)

/me is tired, cranky, and generally not in a happy mood. Hoth is literally giving me a headache.

Note to Bioware: Introduce more levelling content for all levels and both factions please. Making it so that you literally can't hit level cap without doing dailies is a very bad idea for people like me.

Note to Bioware2: Please do not put future Companions, SGR or not, on the Cartel Market. That would probably be the final straw for me. It's bad enough that Cathar are going to be CM only.

If it helps any, the Makeb storyline is pretty good (at least Republic side, today I start Empire side).

Now that said, we have SGR, what has been everyone's impression so far.

I was quite pleased with the Imperial SGR. It did feel a little short, but it was a good 'un. I know there have been concerns as to how the NPC romances would compare to the companion ones. Personally, I felt as though I got more out of one relatively short NPC arc than out of some of the companion romances.

But that's just my opinion. I also cannot offer any input on things Republic-side.

I liked the Imperial SGR. I can't speak for the Republic side yet, I don't have any female Pub toons. It is very short, yes. But, it was sweet. It did not compare very well to some of the more complex romances with companions where you have them from very early on and do quests with them, so I'd say It's not a "complete" romance arc (but then honestly, some of the existing ones aren't much more complex either). You have a few flirts that eventually lead up to expression of feelings and a kiss.

Which reminds me, I guess all the people that were like "omg I don't want my kid to see teh gay secks even if it's a fade to black screen" can relax. I don't think they could have been more mild and subtle about it. Also, you never get hit on. The flirt is always in your hands.

Edited by chuixupu

I liked the Imperial SGR. I can't speak for the Republic side yet, I don't have any female Pub toons. It is very short, yes. But, it was sweet. It did not compare very well to some of the more complex romances with companions where you have them from very early on and do quests with them, so I'd say It's not a "complete" romance arc (but then honestly, some of the existing ones aren't much more complex either). You have a few flirts that eventually lead up to expression of feelings and a kiss.

Which reminds me, I guess all the people that were like "omg I don't want my kid to see teh gay secks even if it's a fade to black screen" can relax. I don't think they could have been more mild and subtle about it. Also, you never get hit on. The flirt is always in your hands.

It's about the same for the Republic side.