Any new races coming out sometime soon???

Nezrexus

Hello there,

I've played SWTOR for a while now and there are only a few playable races I like, and I've always wanted there to be more. Like, I really want Trandoshians to be a playable race. So is there any word on new races coming out sometime this year?

When it comes to PC races, consider the following items:

1. Does this race use the 'standard' four body types? If not, Bioware would have to build new models and possibly edit every 'cut scene' to accommodate it (I ran 'Blood Sport' on Rishi so many times before i realized my companion was in the opening 'Cut Scene' because I used Treek a lot and you couldn't seem her in the high-backed co-pilot's seat of the shuttle)
  2. Does this race 'fit' the standard voice tracks and their associated personalites? Can it work as a wiscracking smuggler, an angry warrior, a smug Inquisitor, and a glacial jedi?
  3. Does it fit all the possible storylines (including companions)? For instance, a Trandoshian smuggler will have odd issues with the Bowdaar storyline.

Basically, if a race you'd like to see has any one of these issues, don't hold your breath waiting for it to be an option. If it has all of these issues, assume it' will never even be on the 'wall of crazy.'

There is always the possibility of a new playable species being introduced at some point, particularly since like the Togruta or Cathar it would be a Cartel Market unlock, but if and when that happens it will almost certainly be a humanoid alien. The chances of a species like the Trandoshans or Wookies being playable would not work within the existing class stories.

If new playable species are introduced I'd expect them to be popular humanoid species who already have some character models in the game. Nautolans would probably be the first, since they came in third in an old poll on this site about about which new species fans wanted most. The first and second finishes in that poll, Togruta and Cathar, were later made playable so it is seems it was something Bioware paid attention to. The fourth (if there was one) would also likely be a humanoid alien with various character models in the game, like Weequay.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

If prior new race releases has proven anything... it is that they are nothing more then a cosmetic skin.

If races actually carried with them some unique skill or ability, I would be more interested in them. As it stands... one skin is pretty much interchangeable with others..... though I do acknowledge that to some players it is important to them that they can play a particular race for the role play or fantasy experience of doing so. But said players more often want a Wookie or other exotic non basic speaking race and that is extremely unlikely to happen.... probably due to IP controls by the IP owner.

• 2 months later...
I'm pretty sure they mentioned they were working on another race on one of their streams around the time the current expansion came out. I can only assume it will eventually see the light of day eventually, probably with the next expansion. My guess is it is going to be Nautolan.

I really hope that the Nautolan race is released soon! I can't wait to see the customization options they'll give us. :rak_02:

Cathar - Announced May 2012 - Released May 2013

Togruta - Confirmed October 2014 - Released July 2015

Note that the time between announcement and release for a new race has always been fairly lengthy and as of yet we still haven't had a new race announced/confirmed so sadly (as much as I too want to see Nautolans) a new race is probably a ways off still.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned they were working on another race on one of their streams around the time the current expansion came out. I can only assume it will eventually see the light of day eventually, probably with the next expansion. My guess is it is going to be Nautolan.

The quote was something like "We're very interested in updating the races." or "We're currently in the process of updating the races." but it was/is unclear if they meant in terms of a new race or updating the existing races.

Cathar - Announced May 2012 - Released May 2013

Togruta - Confirmed October 2014 - Released July 2015

Note that the time between announcement and release for a new race has always been fairly lengthy and as of yet we still haven't had a new race announced/confirmed so sadly (as much as I too want to see Nautolans) a new race is probably a ways off still.

I would love to play a nautolan smuggler but you are probably right we'd have heard at least a hint of a new race by now. I think they are too focused on the expansions (new story/dialogue, locations, strongholds, flashpoints etc) at the moment. They recently gave us some new appearance options for current races, but that's got to be a lot easier/faster than developing a new playable race and making sure it moves/wears changeable gear the way it should with a bunch of nautolan head-tresses, facial expressions with different eyes/face textures, or whatever physical quirks the race has.