Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Security Key Vendor

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lonkley
03.08.2012 , 09:58 AM | #91
Get it.

1) Except for extreme edge cases, you're not going to get your account hacked and your items sold off. Plus putting the test to csr whether they will fix it.

2) With guild banks in 1.2, no sane guild is going to allow withdrawals for a person without one.

I can't believe the only places I ever see key fobs is on mmos and not actual important places, like banks.

Ashmadai
03.08.2012 , 10:04 AM | #92
Forget getting your account hacked, which won't happen if you're careful anyway. The reason to get a security key/smartphone app is for the consumable fleet pass. 1000 credits, 30 minute cooldown, takes you back to the fleet, for when your 18 hour CD is down. They're worth it, period.

Havokk
03.08.2012 , 03:11 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Who is to say that when Bioware's account server get hacked, that my security key information is not also hacked?
Multifactor authentication is not there to protect against the server being compromised. It is there to prevent the client and transport being compromised.

The keyfob will protect you against malicious software on your computer stealing your account details. It will prevent you from malicious software somewhere on the internet cafe's network. It will protect you against rogue staff at your ISP eavesdropping on your network traffic. It will protect you against someone eavesdropping on your wireless network.

Without a keyfob you should never be doing anything important (MMOG or e-banking) on an untrusted network (internet cafe, public WiFi point, dorm room, whatever).
▂▇≡≡≡≡≡≡≡()▇(₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦

Kindara
03.08.2012 , 03:19 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by TangledDruid View Post
Some companion customizations.
A return to fleet item ( But I have a skill that does the same thing)

A set of clothing - imho ugly as heck.

*Edit* securing your account is a good idea.. but I am regretting it - it drives me crazy having to find my phone every time I want to login.
The passes only have a short cool down where as your ability has what 18 hours? The authenticator is worth it to me even with the 10 second hassle of having to type in a number every login. No matter how safe you are you eventually can download something, go somewhere, touch a banner that gives youa keylogger and your account is gone. The authenticator protects you from that.

The vendor is nice to have for the fleet pass whichi s why Im pretty sure they put it there. To entice you to take security into your own hands ad protect yourself.

Goretzu
03.08.2012 , 03:20 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by BardMedicine View Post
You can believe yourself completely secure, but if the account hackers want in, they will get in. For example, in Rift, the game's database was compromised and many people's accounts got hacked despite having done nothing at all. It can happen. Well worth $6 (or free phone app) to have that extra security layer.

Er... that still would have happened with a security key, the flaw was in the launcher and completely bypassed all passwords and such.

A security key makes you more secure, a lot more if you are very lax about other security, but not very much more if you've got decent security in the first place.

You're infinitesimally likely to be "hacked" either way, most people that lose their accounts gave out their details in the first place one way or another.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

CzaplaM
03.10.2012 , 09:26 AM | #96
For anyone looking for the Security Key Vendor:
http://1stvideogame.com/?p=3383

chaosvernon
03.21.2012 , 06:04 AM | #98
I was one of those "It'll never happen to me because my computer is secure" types until I got hacked a few years back. 6 accounts from 2 different games were lost overnight. Between the hassles of getting the accounts back and item restored Its just easier to spend a few bucks and buy an authenticator.

defiantlegacy
03.21.2012 , 06:18 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaick View Post
No its not possible. Once the code is entered its no longer valid. Every time you use the SK you get a new random set of numbers to enter.

I can see someone getting a hold of your account name and password. I can also see maybe how someone could guess your security questions (which you should change every few months) but I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could get their account hacked while having a SK unless some guy has awesome abilities and hacks into your iphone/ipod/droid whatever.

Doesn't matter for me though. My ipod is never connected to any internet.
Plenty of accounts on plenty of games have been hacked whilst using an authenticator or security key.
I don't know how they do it, but it seems to only be a hurdle and not a roadblock
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

chaosvernon
03.21.2012 , 07:25 AM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by defiantlegacy View Post
Plenty of accounts on plenty of games have been hacked whilst using an authenticator or security key.
I don't know how they do it, but it seems to only be a hurdle and not a roadblock
It can be done by real time hacking with making the launcher crash when you try to connect so the key was never entered.

And people in the WoW community claim theres a 15min window with each key where it can be used several times.