Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Customizable voices


SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
09.20.2019 , 09:15 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Deshiel View Post
Since as I have previously mentioned, it will work the same way as helmet voice changers and holo talk effects/modulators, it will not alter the recorded voice liness in anyway that would require a change in file sizes, its only an effect that stacks on top of the sound, altering it.
How do you propose to alter the sounds without calculations?
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Deshiel's Avatar


Deshiel
09.20.2019 , 09:22 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
How do you propose to alter the sounds without calculations?
What kind of calculations?
My dream is to collect as many cartel market items as possible to be able to make cosplay with them.
If you'd like to support my efforts please use my referal
http://www.swtor.com/r/ZD74h5

MadDutchman's Avatar


MadDutchman
09.20.2019 , 09:48 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
How do you propose to alter the sounds without calculations?
I believe you are thinking of this like re-encoding a music or video file. This is not what is happening.

Think of it like putting a mute in a musical instrument, or changing the synth on an electric keyboard. You are simply applying a filter to the data, which is practically free by modern computational standards.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

phalczen's Avatar


phalczen
09.20.2019 , 11:05 PM | #24
I could see issues with VA contracts if there is an alteration like this to their recording. This isn't the same type of modulation as with a helmet or transmission, its a fundamental alteration to the original pitch and tone of the original sound generated by the VA. Its expected if the VA is recording for "Alvin and the Chipmunks," but not necessarily for something like this.

Its an interesting idea though, and certainly a lot less work and money than recording multiple voices per gender per class.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Kraysk's Avatar


Kraysk
09.21.2019 , 03:25 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
How do you propose to alter the sounds without calculations?

In fact, you don't need any major calculations for the pitch change. There are analogue plug-ins that change the pitch of your voice or your instrument in real time. And these are around since 60's i believe.
Computer equivalents were implemented in late 90's and now they are developed to the point that the process takes zero time and about 0.01% of your PC's RAM.

How the process could be implemented into game engine is another question.

Deshiel's Avatar


Deshiel
09.22.2019 , 03:42 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
I could see issues with VA contracts if there is an alteration like this to their recording. This isn't the same type of modulation as with a helmet or transmission, its a fundamental alteration to the original pitch and tone of the original sound generated by the VA. Its expected if the VA is recording for "Alvin and the Chipmunks," but not necessarily for something like this.

Its an interesting idea though, and certainly a lot less work and money than recording multiple voices per gender per class.
Would you hire a voice actor that says, you can only use my pure sample? No voice ever goes into the game without some sound tweaking.

Oh and, remember Mordin Solus from Mass Effect 2? His voice was pitched up for the game
My dream is to collect as many cartel market items as possible to be able to make cosplay with them.
If you'd like to support my efforts please use my referal
http://www.swtor.com/r/ZD74h5

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
09.22.2019 , 04:03 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Kraysk View Post
In fact, you don't need any major calculations for the pitch change. There are analogue plug-ins that change the pitch of your voice or your instrument in real time. And these are around since 60's i believe.
Computer equivalents were implemented in late 90's and now they are developed to the point that the process takes zero time and about 0.01% of your PC's RAM.

How the process could be implemented into game engine is another question.
Right, so it takes *some* calculation, not none at all. All I was ever seeking was confirmation that the calculation is small enough to be done while the sound is playing.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Ferrety's Avatar


Ferrety
09.23.2019 , 04:31 PM | #28
Having something as simple as a pitch slider would be great and fairly easy to implement (in comparison to recording new dialogue), a lot of other games have this option.

Being able to choose a modulation effect would be great also, one of my BH helmets has AWESOME modulation but aesthetically isn't as great as some other options I have. If I could take that modulation effect and somehow transplant it onto the other appearance...

Now that's podracing.
Get 7 Days FREE Gametime , Free Server Transfer and CC Unlocks when returning to SWTOR! Click my Referral Link here!

Deshiel's Avatar


Deshiel
09.24.2019 , 12:32 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Ferrety View Post
Having something as simple as a pitch slider would be great and fairly easy to implement (in comparison to recording new dialogue), a lot of other games have this option.

Being able to choose a modulation effect would be great also, one of my BH helmets has AWESOME modulation but aesthetically isn't as great as some other options I have. If I could take that modulation effect and somehow transplant it onto the other appearance...

Now that's podracing.
That would be neat, bet they could add it in as a "tuning" slot for helmets, but don't even dream about it. I don't expect anyone from thier side to care about this pitch slider idea either. All they see is more work and that is (understandably) offputing
My dream is to collect as many cartel market items as possible to be able to make cosplay with them.
If you'd like to support my efforts please use my referal
http://www.swtor.com/r/ZD74h5

phalczen's Avatar


phalczen
09.24.2019 , 01:50 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Deshiel View Post
Would you hire a voice actor that says, you can only use my pure sample? No voice ever goes into the game without some sound tweaking.

Oh and, remember Mordin Solus from Mass Effect 2? His voice was pitched up for the game
When a narrator does an audio book, they often take great pains to ensure that their voice is conveying the correct tone of the book, as well as correctly identifying a character. My family and I are listening to Jim Dale narrate the Harry Potter audiobooks. He apparently asked for playbacks of previous books just to make sure he was doing the voice correctly each new novel. Itís one thing to read lines but I imagine voice actors put a lot of thought and effort into their performance. When I heard those samples, it was almost as if a different person was speaking in my minds eye.

Iím just saying that I could imagine someone wanting to have a say over that. Imagine if RDJ heard something like the samples presented when he heard himself inside the Iron Man suit?
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.