Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Classic, would you play? resub for this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Classic, would you play? resub for this?

Holocron
09.23.2019 , 07:18 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
Short answer, no.

This game had just over handful of Flashpoints and I think two Operations at release. I don't recall PvP at the time as
I didn't PvP then. Getting to level 50 was fairly easy and once you got there, there wasn't much to do, which is the main reason a lot of people left shortly after release and in less than a year, SWTOR went FTP. I still recall the countless threads at the time about "what do I do now". The answer almost always was play another class and enjoy the stories.

I was a long time SWG player and waited for some of the emulators to be released so I could go back to play one of those. Finally SWG Legends arrived and roughly six months after release, I was already bored with that game. It was a case of, been there, done it. The nostalgia wore off very quick with that game, so I came back here.

SWTOR in it's initial release had very limited content, other than class stories. This may seem harsh, but you would almost have to pay me to go back and play vanilla SWTOR. For a brand new player, this game now has a plethora of content that would keep anyone busy for months, it just didn't back then. The state of this game now? Lets see what happens on the PTS and the Onslaught release.

Regarding WoW, I have no doubt people will leave after the nostalgia wears off, and some probably won't.
I want to touch on the last line of your statement. First, let me say that I was a die hard SWG player, and was there from beta to sunset. I've been a die hard Star Wars mmo player forever, FOREVER! Second, I've been subbing multiple accounts on SWTOR since beta. I, like everyone else, wanted this game to truly succeed and crush WOW. I've been on the WOW hate train for years, like everyone else who doesn't play wow.

BUT, the current SWTOR is just not holding people anymore. In my opinion, it's lost its spark, and many people struggle to find reasons to even log in anymore. WOW Retail, just like SWTOR is in the same boat, for some overlapping reasons. It's a case of both games have gone so far from their mmo roots, that they have really forgotten what it is to be a mmo. How to even design for players, or, even understand anymore that it was the designed-in struggles that actually made mmo communities to begin with. Everything now days is super easy mode, greedy money transactions, and in our case, a gutted dev team and sparse real new content. The constant instant gratification crowd that has lead straight to sub loss.

Fortunately for WOW, their dev team was smart enough to listen, our team sadly is too small to do much of anything from here on out. Also, the current WOW community is split. It would be similar community split for us, if say SWG were to relaunch with the potential of getting new funding and content. The last line of your statement is the typical sentiment from the people on the WOW Retail side of the argument, but numbers aren't lying. The WOW classic players are growing daily. It's show no signs of slowing down, and everyone is having a blast. Heck, Blizzard can't even remove layering yet cause the servers are so jammed packed. Everyone who is playing it, is expressing how much they are feeling like real mmo players again, even after years of being bitter and jaded players.

So I've bit the bullet and tried it out, and O M G, is it the most fun I've had in a mmo in YEARS! It really hearkens back to the original SWG type mmo days. Everyone is helping each other and the community is huge. It makes me sad to realize how wrong I was for hating it for so long, and how much of a joke our game has become. This is the first time ever that I'm honestly thinking about dropping my subs here. And I don't know if there is anything that devs can do to change things. 6.0 is just more of the same, light on the content, and new gear system meant to draw you into another year or two of useless wheel spinning, while they figure out if they will still have a studio. 6.0 is just to keep you from focusing on how under staffed they are, and the true lack of content being added long term.

If you want the feel, enjoyment, and the community of real mmo......do yourself a favor and try WOW Classic.

^ My referral link above is like a one night stand ^
You'll enjoy it...I'll enjoy it...And no one has to sneak out

Tsillah
09.23.2019 , 11:41 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Menaur View Post
3.0 i would play instant - 5.0 destroyed the game for me
There is much truth in this. Already 4.0 raised a lot of eyebrows and a big chunk of the raid community left because of the dumbing down of SM ops and a general lack of new ops. Also the upping of all ops to max level, which was a first with 4.0, meant that there were a lot of ops that were set at the same level of difficulty and reward which made no sense because some were much easier than others. Same for FPs.

And well with 5.0 the whole gearing set up was destroyed as you say. It also killed the game for me. I do hope 6.0 finally will be a better direction. We'll see soon.
Referral link for a week sub and some goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB

Pirana
09.24.2019 , 03:57 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Holocron View Post
I want to touch on the last line of your statement. First, let me say that I was a die hard SWG player, and was there from beta to sunset. I've been a die hard Star Wars mmo player forever, FOREVER! Second, I've been subbing multiple accounts on SWTOR since beta. I, like everyone else, wanted this game to truly succeed and crush WOW. I've been on the WOW hate train for years, like everyone else who doesn't play wow.

BUT, the current SWTOR is just not holding people anymore. In my opinion, it's lost its spark, and many people struggle to find reasons to even log in anymore. WOW Retail, just like SWTOR is in the same boat, for some overlapping reasons. It's a case of both games have gone so far from their mmo roots, that they have really forgotten what it is to be a mmo. How to even design for players, or, even understand anymore that it was the designed-in struggles that actually made mmo communities to begin with. Everything now days is super easy mode, greedy money transactions, and in our case, a gutted dev team and sparse real new content. The constant instant gratification crowd that has lead straight to sub loss.

Fortunately for WOW, their dev team was smart enough to listen, our team sadly is too small to do much of anything from here on out. Also, the current WOW community is split. It would be similar community split for us, if say SWG were to relaunch with the potential of getting new funding and content. The last line of your statement is the typical sentiment from the people on the WOW Retail side of the argument, but numbers aren't lying. The WOW classic players are growing daily. It's show no signs of slowing down, and everyone is having a blast. Heck, Blizzard can't even remove layering yet cause the servers are so jammed packed. Everyone who is playing it, is expressing how much they are feeling like real mmo players again, even after years of being bitter and jaded players.

So I've bit the bullet and tried it out, and O M G, is it the most fun I've had in a mmo in YEARS! It really hearkens back to the original SWG type mmo days. Everyone is helping each other and the community is huge. It makes me sad to realize how wrong I was for hating it for so long, and how much of a joke our game has become. This is the first time ever that I'm honestly thinking about dropping my subs here. And I don't know if there is anything that devs can do to change things. 6.0 is just more of the same, light on the content, and new gear system meant to draw you into another year or two of useless wheel spinning, while they figure out if they will still have a studio. 6.0 is just to keep you from focusing on how under staffed they are, and the true lack of content being added long term.

If you want the feel, enjoyment, and the community of real mmo......do yourself a favor and try WOW Classic.
Nostalgia is a funny thing, you never know when or if it's going to wear off. I felt the same as you described during the first few months of SWG Legends, and as time wore on, I grew more and more bored with it. WoW Classic was released a month ago, somewhere around then? If people are enjoying the game, that's great, after all, you're supposed to have fun when playing games.

I played WoW about five years ago, probably around the same amount of time I gave SWG Legends a shot and got bored with that game as well. The only class in WoW that I actually enjoyed playing was the Monk, and my understanding is that was a new class that was released some years back and not part of Vanilla. All the other classes in that game were simply too boring to play. And it could be the genre too, I'm more of a Sci-Fi person than Fantasy. I'll give WoW kudos for their content, there's a lot of it, but I have to enjoy all or most aspects of the game to stick with it or I get bored really quick.

I have no doubt, just from my own personal experience that once Onslaught hits and I burn through the content, I'll take another three to six month hiatus like I always do and check back on the forums to see how things are, whether it's regressing or progressing.

On topic: No, I would not go back to playing SWTOR's release again. Just too many quality of life improvements have been made over the years, in addition to more content, to even think about playing the launch of this game again. The current state of the game right now is in decent shape, assuming they make the necessary changes to RNG before the release of Onslaught.

The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination