[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Again: BS. Stephen, please go review the Bioware released GAMEPLAY walkthroughs. Such as
(timestamp 2:35 - 3:00 is a great example)

This is GAMEPLAY footage. High res textures CLEARLY IN THE GAME for GAMEPLAY purposes. It is these high res textures that you are marketing in these videos for GAMEPLAY (not cinematic) graphics.

You're living in the YouTube age. These sorts of revisionist history statements are NOT serving you.

High res textures have always been in the game FOR MORE THAN JUST CINEMATICS. Bioware is PUBLISHING GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE with the high res textures.

^^This^^

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I asked the question hero, take your **** slop somewhere else.

If you have even read my responses in this thread you'd know I am one of the people hating on the low textures right now.

But to jump to some paranoid theory about DRM without any objective evidence is just embarassing :p

What about all the other screenshots, especially those from BETA and all of development?

Since high resolution textures exists and can render all aspects of the game, why don't you allow us to choose our own Quality to performance ratio? If there's too many elements that slow down our computers, isn't that our choice to make?

Why not make it clear what the 2nd swtor.exe process is for? Why completely ignore the accusations of remote render DRM?

And that gets them what, exactly? More accusations of selling a product that doesn't do what it says on the tin?

I don't recall having bought a product that stated, to the exact pixel, exactly how high definition the textures are. Most of you people seem to recall making that decision, but I've got a good memory and I'm pretty sure I didn't. Nor did I buy an MMO off the basis of the bloody image of my damn character in a cutscene.

There are plenty of extremely self righteous consumer champions in this thread crusading about how they've paid money for a product. Well you know what? The only reason you're still here is because believe it or not, you actually want to be.

When I hated an MMO, I was gone within two days. So stop pretending you're here to offer advice and accept that if they're going to do something, they can't do it immediately.

Because the beta didn't have nearly the player load that the retail game does. Even top-end PCs couldn't handle the processing required to render all the high-res models.

Though I do agree they could have chosen a better option. Instead of removing the ability to select it altogether, they should have added an option to limit the number of high-res renderings.

For example: have a setting that limits the high res models to a certain range, and any other models are rendered low-res. Or even just have an option that renders your character and your party members as high res, and other models as low-res. It would have been a happy medium until they can fix what they need to.

You mean, options that every other mmo since 1999 has?

Why would it take that much time to just add the textures back to the game menu? I mean it was in Beta. And all they did was take it out, why can't they stick it in?

Its really as simple as that.

Same with Unify Colors to Chest.

Same with an entirely modifiable gear base.

All that stuff is modular and they could just swap it back in. I find it rather funny how the developers continually maintain that every little thing that they do for this game is some kind of herculean undertaking when its not.

Half the stuff thats problematic has a better modular system version somewhere on the code repository that was in use in the betas. Go grab those modules, sand them off to work in a live environment, push a patch and voila, everyones happy.

But no, they act like they're literally rebuilding the Pyramids with nothing but a plumb line and wooden rollers and manual labor to do even simple things. When those simple things are right there in previous build modules that they have on their storage repository.

Its like they think we're stupid. What professional game/software development doesn't have a massive gitrepo these days?

Hello all,

Since the previous incarnation of this thread passed the 1k mark, we've recreated the thread for you to continue your discussion in.

A couple of reminders for you to keep in mind:

• Rude comments and Insults are not allowed. There are many different opinions and we expect our community members to be respectful of one another and their opinions.
  • Trolling is not allowed either. This includes posts that are meant for the sole purpose of causing disruptions in the threads, flames or overly negative reactions.
  • Ignore list - If you find that you absolutely cannot get along with someone, please place them on your ignore list.
  • Flag - If you think a post is breaking the forum rules, please flag it so the Community Team can investigate.

We thank you for your efforts in keeping the thread on topic, constructive and respectful.

You mean you encourage your customers to discuss the issue on a forum thread.

Not like anything will come of it.

Again: BS. Stephen, please go review the Bioware released GAMEPLAY walkthroughs. Such as
(timestamp 2:35 - 3:00 is a great example)

This is GAMEPLAY footage. High res textures CLEARLY IN THE GAME for GAMEPLAY purposes. It is these high res textures that you are marketing in these videos for GAMEPLAY (not cinematic) graphics.

You're living in the YouTube age. These sorts of revisionist history statements are NOT serving you.

High res textures have always been in the game FOR MORE THAN JUST CINEMATICS. Bioware is PUBLISHING GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE with the high res textures. If you've changed that since (and you clearly have) - you have removed them from gameplay graphics.

The particular screenshot he was talking about had to come from cutscene because of the obvious depth of field effect.

Jeez, we have updated graphics incoming with the next big patch. It's confirmed. Be happy.

That screenshot is from a cinematic in-game. As stated, cinematic scenes use high resolution textures because we have control over how many characters are rendered on-screen at once. This is how the game was always intended to look in cinematics. We did not 'remove' high resolution textures - they were always in the game for use in cinematics.

With that said, thank you for all of your responses. We understand everyone's desires around this issue, and although it's not going to be an overnight fix, as mentioned we're working on addressing this. Many of the suggestions you have made are similar to potential changes the development team is investigating.

I rounded up the development team once more and had another discussion, and wanted to update you with a better timeline and some more precise details on what we're doing right now.

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012.

That´s good to hear Stephen, the community wont forget that issue and we also wont forget that you with that post, promised us better higher quality textures on our armor.

Just adding true AA will make a signifcant difference i went and set up a profile via nvidia inspector per a very helpful forum goer's advice . its pretty noticable i might even say it makes major differences . it get way better performance and suprisingly far less heat issues with it enabled. My 590 gtx was 90 plus in tor before this profile set up no it runs low 80's.

I'm already forcing AA through my .ini file, and though it does make a difference in terms of the 'jaggies', the textures on my character are still blurry and not the level of detail that some of these screen shots show.

That screenshot is from a cinematic in-game. As stated, cinematic scenes use high resolution textures because we have control over how many characters are rendered on-screen at once. This is how the game was always intended to look in cinematics. We did not 'remove' high resolution textures - they were always in the game for use in cinematics.

SO now...this game is fully voiced over AND cinematic? Is that what we're calling it now EVERY time i talk to a quest NPC, I'm getting CINEMATICS?!!

ROFL...will the bs not end

The particular screenshot he was talking about had to come from cutscene because of the obvious depth of field effect.

Jeez, we have updated graphics incoming with the next big patch. It's confirmed. Be happy.

What? no we don't.

We get the " medium" option removed, seeing how " high" IS medium.

That is not " updated graphics".

Edited by Your_dominus

Funny, the bioware praisers only come back after Reid's response that "everything will be ok guys!"

WTB more brown nosers!!

It's because we're monitoring the dev tracker, because we're too busy enjoying the game instead of here, pretending that we're some self righteous crusading Mary Whitehouse.

It's not brown nosing. It's simple disappointment with the low capacity for reason, logic, and intellect amongst fellow human beings. It persists from MMO to MMO, and reminds me that I am so vastly better at nearly everything than 99% of the people I ever meet.

cut scnese are not cinematics, stop calling cut scenes that! Real time use of our gear and character options ARE NOT PRE RENDERED BUMPA ND SHADE MAP USE CINEMATIC, as cinematics, its offensive, a cinematic is what u have at the beginning of the game, this is not a cinematic, trying to change the defition of what cinematic is to cover your rear end and saying that high res textures are cinematics now so u dont get sued for false advertising is exactly the kind of bs that si pissing your gamers off.

If you do nto come cleana nd just fix the issue it is why a law suit will be the only recourse, my goodness cant u see that u not fessing up to the problem is exactly what will force your customers to take it to a court, now release the high res textures u advertised and start workign on relasing the even better originals and make this game better not worse.

And we need soem major charcter customization on bodya nd face, 4 body types and a few facial customizations are not as good as any mmo released in the last 5 years.

You are succeeding in doing one thing and oen thing only witht hsi cover up of your false advertising, ruining your name, and im quite sure yoru competetitors will be keepign close eyes ont his as yoru false advertising literally hurt their busiensses. nwo if u wnat that to all stop[, releae the textures u advertised and the models u advertised and stop stonewlalign your customers.

You want to fix your name? Then release the original artowrk and give us even better then you advertised and let us decide performance. Add soem majopr rehauls ont he charcter creation and customization abiltiies, if u wnat em to recomend this game to any female gamer i know again.

You mad eme look lieka fool recomending this games graphcis to people and nwo ur lyign about it. that pisses me off, and i want this game to succeed. get that?! I am trying to help you.

Good post.

I'm already forcing AA through my .ini file, and though it does make a difference in terms of the 'jaggies', the textures on my character are still blurry and not the level of detail that some of these screen shots show.

Right. Anti-aliasing can't fix non-existent texture quality.

Uh, it's not in the next patch.... the next one is 1.1. And that isn't even live yet. 1.1=/=1.2

Because the beta didn't have nearly the player load that the retail game does. Even top-end PCs couldn't handle the processing required to render all the high-res models.

Though I do agree they could have chosen a better option. Instead of removing the ability to select it altogether, they should have added an option to limit the number of high-res renderings.

For example: have a setting that limits the high res models to a certain range, and any other models are rendered low-res. Or even just have an option that renders your character and your party members as high res, and other models as low-res. It would have been a happy medium until they can fix what they need to.

Maybe you missed the weekend stress test in which practically everyone who had a registered account was invited and crammed into 10 or so servers. Fleet had more players than current servers now.

IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THIS ANSWER AND DECISION BY BIOWARE, UNSUBSCRIBE IF YOU ALREADY HAVE NOT.

Send your message in a way that they will actually care - written in money.

^

You can cancel your subscription but continue playing on your remaining 30 days until they expire.

If you have even read my responses in this thread you'd know I am one of the people hating on the low textures right now.

But to jump to some paranoid theory about DRM without any objective evidence is just embarassing :p

Actually the evidence points to DRM and have nothing to compare against, hence the question. How embarassing you know nothing about me, my education level but you still care to respond to me like I don't have a B.S.B.A in Project Managment.

Once again that is why I asked the question.

Go away.

With that said, thank you for all of your responses. We understand everyone's desires around this issue, and although it's not going to be an overnight fix, as mentioned we're working on addressing this. Many of the suggestions you have made are similar to potential changes the development team is investigating.

I rounded up the development team once more and had another discussion, and wanted to update you with a better timeline and some more precise details on what we're doing right now.

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012.

Absolutely unacceptable.

It's very clear that you ARE NOT listening to what we want. We want to turn OFF the stupid atlassing. It should not take months to give us the option to turn something off that was shoehorned in. If it is some big debacle to give us that option, then take the ENTIRE STUPID FEATURE OUT until it can be implemented properly.

I will say again, WE DO NOT WANT YOU SPENDING TIME ENHANCING SOMETHING WE DO NOT WANT.

This should be fixed NEXT WEEK. Not in months.

I just cannot fathom why you put something in to help systems with spindle hard drives, but utterly refused to allow users with SSD's to disable it. We don't freaking need it, we don't freaking want it, let us just turn it off.

Thank you for the update. this at least brings a small sparkle of hope, but Bioware better deliver.. do NOT forget we are paying money for this game on a monthly basis. If the majority of these issues (including the famous fps drops) arent fixed in 1.2 , it's going to cost you a lot of subs.

Don't forget that we're not out to flame Bioware or you, Stephen, we love the game - if the game sucked we wouldnt waste our time posting so much about what's bothering us.

This issue certainly has made a major dent in the trust we have in Bioware and its developers, and it will take some time to recover from that.. but we can , if you BW makestrue on its promises. (end drama-lama cutscene) .

And for those who want a fix next week...this is going to take time to implement , test and make sure everything is working properly.. I know its much to ask, but try to be patient and give them at least a fighting chance to make it right.

Edited by fredspekvet