Is this intended game design [Crew skills]?

Exothermix

At present I understand that certain crew skills can produce items that are e.g. bind on pickup, or only useable by someone with that respective crew skill.

e.g. As cybertech I can produce a custom speeder, but cannot trade or sell it.

If I drop cybertech I can still use it (it is bind on pickup/craft) so it seems this *may* be working as intended.

If I, however, pick up biochem, I can produce unlimited use meds, whilst they can be traded they cannot be used by someone without biochem crew skill...but, if I craft them, then drop biochem then I can still use them.

Is this intended?

I guess if I had put the time in getting to Bio 400 then crafting the stuff, then I should still be able to use them, but I know for a fact some will think that this is not the case and you should only be able to reap the benefits of your current crew skill....

Opinions please?

The only Biochem re-usables that can be used without the skill are the very top level ones. I hear that has changed on the PTS, but can't confirm it myself as I've not been there.

Any of the lower purples have a Biochem requirement.

I hope that they have made those require biochem.

I would like to see them add more things to all of the skills that required that skill to use, and/or benefits that you only get if you have the skill.

Right now, Biochem is still the ultimate destination though. All this BoP stuff does is give people a different skill to work through on their way.