How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller

PeepsMcJuggs

Haters beware: this is NOT a debate thread. This thread is intended for instructional purposes ONLY for anyone interested in playing SWTOR using a video game controller. As verified by the moderators, discussions on the merits of controller use are off-topic, and will be flagged as such. If you feel the need to argue, please make your own thread.

During beta testing, a couple of us figured out how to use PS3/360 controllers to great effect in playing this game, but since it took a while to hammer out the process, we decided to share this info.

The pre-wipe thread on this topic quickly grew beyond its original parameters, so I''ve created a blog to better organize the instructions. I will be updating it as more info/suggestions become available: http://swtorpeeps.blogspot.com/

FAQ: "Why isn''t XXXXXX program working in SWTOR?!"

Answer

How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller:

I highly recommend you look into the PS3 or XBOX keypads. They're a major game-changer for controller use in an MMO.

PS3 Controller/Keypad Installation Instructions

XBOX 360 Controller/Chatpad Installation Instructions

XPadder Configuration and Sample SWTOR Mappings

Pinnacle Game Profiler Configuration and Mappings

Please continue to ask technical questions and comments in this thread, where the mods can keep it on-topic and constructive.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really appreciate you starting this tutorial for folks who prefer a controller. Because of an injury on my left hand, I have trouble using wasd for prolonged periods of time. It's easier on my hand to use a thumb stick. I am using a wired xbox 360 controller. I've finally figured out how to map controller buttons to keyboard. But I am kind of stuck or confused. How to I get the right thumbstick to emulate camera movement? Thank you for your time! EDIT: Sorry I forgot to mention I'm using the XPadder setup. Edited by Itaruga

I really appreciate you starting this tutorial for folks who prefer a controller. Because of an injury on my left hand, I have trouble using wasd for prolonged periods of time. It's easier on my hand to use a thumb stick. I am using a wired xbox 360 controller. I've finally figured out how to map controller buttons to keyboard. But I am kind of stuck or confused. How to I get the right thumbstick to emulate camera movement? Thank you for your time! EDIT: Sorry I forgot to mention I'm using the XPadder setup.

http://swtorpeeps.blogspot.com/2011/12/installing-and-configuring-xpadder-for.html

Skip down to "Camera Rotation." Let me know if you have any questions! :)

Fast reply thanks! That's what I'm following. But the pictures are not some clear on some buttons. Also, I've never played the beta so I don't know what keyboard buttons does what. I am using google to answer some of that. I figured out autorun. I need keyboard buttons for rest, loot, in combat self buff 1, in combat self buff 2, and yeah, ability/camera movement. I have xpadder version 2011.05.13. Also, are any of the files configurations you uploaded one of Khalirei's? Thanks, sorry to bother you, trying to learn what I can on my own. Just got stuck a bit.Ok sorry, I understand about the camera, but where is the advanced options? 2nd edit. Dang that was a headache I figurted it out lol. Need help with the rest, loot self buff 1 and 2. I haven't gotten to layout 2 and 3 yet.....I'll keep you posted with any more questions. I feel bad for bothering you lol Edit 3: I see Target is the Tab key, what are the keys for Friendly target? I am a bit confused for on the dpad buttons layouts 1 and 2. Pictures show differently than what is being described. Are bags the same thing as inventory? what's the difference? Edited by Itaruga

Fast reply thanks! That's what I'm following. But the pictures are not some clear on some buttons. Also, I've never played the beta so I don't know what keyboard buttons does what. I am using google to answer some of that. I figured out autorun. I need keyboard buttons for rest, loot, in combat self buff 1, in combat self buff 2, and yeah, ability/camera movement. I have xpadder version 2011.05.13. Also, are any of the files configurations you uploaded one of Khalirei's? Thanks, sorry to bother you, trying to learn what I can on my own. Just got stuck a bit.Ok sorry, I understand about the camera, but where is the advanced options? 2nd edit. Dang that was a headache I figurted it out lol. Need help with the rest, loot self buff 1 and 2. I haven't gotten to layout 2 and 3 yet.....I'll keep you posted with any more questions. I feel bad for bothering you lol Edit 3: I see Target is the Tab key, what are the keys for Friendly target? I am a bit confused for on the dpad buttons layouts 1 and 2. Pictures show differently than what is being described.

No worries: it is a pain to set up initially, which is why I created this thread in the first place :)

My configurations are posted here: http://www.mediafire.com/?3hl5gf6wlw8jq

Yeah, sorry about the photo...I need to replace the image in layout 3 for the Jedi Consular. The Imperial Agent layout image is accurate (scroll further down the page), and they're essentially the same setup with a few minor tweaks.

Friendly target is Ctrl-Tab (R1 in my setup). Looting is done by right-clicking corpses. Check out Khalerei's notes on that page. In SWTOR's settings, you can check off auto-loot and loot area (among other things), so all you have to do is right-click a single corpse to pick up all nearby loot.

As for self buff, the Alt-1 thru Alt-= buttons are the ones I use for buffs (I have them bound to my right quicktab...though they are unbound by default). Self-target modifier is unbound by default, so it's something you're going to have to configure in-game. I had it bound to the ' key so I could use it on my keypad, but I'm probably going to have it bound to the PS button in my next configuration, as apparently the PS3 keypad only registers keystrokes as single clicks, not as a held button.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

I think I might have to wait and get in to the game first before I am able to finish my controller layout. I literally am getting a headache lol. How is movement working out for you while using up down with strafe left and right? Does it cause any difficulties? I might use one of your ps3 controller layouts using the xbox 360 controller though. Is Crouch the same as take cover?

Movement is flawless, especially because in the very last beta build, they changed strafe and back strafe to 100% speed. When used in conjunction with right-click camera control (which has your character face whatever direction the camera is facing), you essentially have third-person shooter-style movement.

Crouch is not the same as take cover...crouch was introduced after I created that Agent profile, so I'll probably modify the setup when I get in game. Take cover rolls you into the nearest natural cover, or if none is available, deploys mobile cover (once you acquire it around lvl 6). Crouch just drops you where you stand and deploys mobile cover.

Rolling into natural cover is the preferred option, as the action is about twice as fast as deploying mobile cover and tends to offer better defensive bonuses, but sometimes you just need to take a knee so you can use your cover-only abilities.

Edit: And yes, you're definitely going to want to get in game to finish your setup :) I provide mine as a guide, but obviously everyone should tweak the setup to what best suits them.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

Thank you all for your posts. I have some neck issues, and it is hard to stare at a monitor for any length of time. I would like to play this game on my tv which is connected to my computer with a controller. Have any of you accomplished this yet?

Do any of you know how to make the in game text larger so it can be viewed at a distance (5ft).

Thanks in advance. I've been looking forward to this game for years, but if I have to play it with a keyboard in front of a monitor it is a deal breaker.

D

Since i havent got in early access yet, what classes would be easier to use with a 360 controller? And what classes would be harder to use?

I don't think any class is harder than any other to use with a controller, though I highly recommend creating separate profiles for different classes. The IA/Smuggler, for example, need the cover ability readily accessible, but this mechanic isn't used for any other classes.

I'd say your challenge is going to be more role-based than class-based. For healers, you're going to need to make sure your target modifiers are bound so you can switch between enemies and friendlies on the fly. With the demo profiles I've posted, you'd have to sacrifice some quicktab hotkeys to get all the target mods on there, but there's nothing preventing you from creating additional swappable mappings (PinnacleGameProfiler has 5, I believe...XPadder has even more than that).

Thank you all for your posts. I have some neck issues, and it is hard to stare at a monitor for any length of time. I would like to play this game on my tv which is connected to my computer with a controller. Have any of you accomplished this yet?

Do any of you know how to make the in game text larger so it can be viewed at a distance (5ft).

Thanks in advance. I've been looking forward to this game for years, but if I have to play it with a keyboard in front of a monitor it is a deal breaker.

D

I've considered this, but I don't want to fight the family over TV use :D As far as I know, there isn't a way to change the UI's font size at the moment...though maybe you could try lowering the TV's resolution.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

They really should incorporate this into the game, not only for enjoyment but so disabled people can play as well.

Not that I am suppose to say that in this thread, but anyone try submitting a ticket requesting this?

I think it's safe to say offering suggestions on how to make controller setup easier, such as convincing BioWare to incorporate it in the game, is very much on topic. :)

I have not submitted any requests for its implementation, but I think I will. At first, I figured this was just a fun alternative gameplay style and not worth mentioning in the suggestion box for all the rage it would endure...but the fact there are players who want to play this game but are physically limited from playing effectively with a traditional keyboard-mouse setup should be brought to their attention. Hell, it hadn't occurred to me when I created this thread. :)

Anyway, back to the troubleshooting task at hand. I'll post a link to the suggestion thread for anyone that wants to throw their voice behind it.

Okay, I'm getting nowhere fast with PGP (no literally, my character won't move). I can't figure out what the issue is, but I can't seem to get this thing to work with SWTOR. Tried running as administrator, tried disabling my AV software (as apparently that sometimes causes issues)...nothing.

Ferk it. I'm switching back to XPadder until I (or someone else) can figure this one out.

Okay, I finally found an easy solution to the problem of XPadder occasionally swapping maps.

PROBLEM: If you hold down two map buttons at once (like you can accidentally do when switching between mappings in a hurry), sometimes it'll get stuck in one of the alternate mappings, so map 2 becomes your default map.

SOLUTION: Hold down both map buttons again, and if you're stuck on map 2, release the map 2 button FIRST, then release the other one.

This should solve any stuck mapping issues you encounter.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

when will the video be up?

I haven't reuploaded it, as I haven't managed to get PGP to work with SWTOR yet. If somebody manages to make these two programs talk to each other, please let me know ASAP!

Edit: In fact, I'm going to take the original vid down until I get PGP working, as I'm leading people down a rabbit hole without an exit strategy.

i see you took out the part that clearly said that the program your pushing has a trojan in it this time around

I'm sorry you're confused. If you follow the link in the OP:

PS3 Controller/Keypad Installation Instructions

One of the first things you will see is:

WARNINGS:

• Follow the site's instructions exactly. If you assume you know what you're doing, you only have yourself to blame when you screw it up.
  • MotioninJoy installs its own Bluetooth drivers, which make your Bluetooth receiver useless for any other purpose! As a workaround, get a separate Bluetooth USB dongle specifically for MiJ, and only install MiJ's drivers for THAT BT device. I may provide instructions later on how to locate and remove MiJ's drivers if anybody needs them.
  • My antivirus program detected the DOWNLOADER trojan when I downloaded the program a couple months back (what do you expect from a program hosted in China?). This isn't really cause for concern: despite some infamy in its past, MiJ recently paid to have their drivers fully signed and approved by Microsoft, and my system's AV software was so unconcerned it didn't even warn me about the trojan: it quarantined it without so much as a popup. Other users on the SWTOR forums have fully scanned and installed the program files and determined them to be virus free. I'd be remiss if I didn't warn you though, so it's your call! I should note that today, 12/3/2011, I downloaded the latest version and ran it through multiple antivirus programs including Norton, McAfee, VirusTotal and ThreatExpert. No threats were detected. VirusTotal also confirms that http://www.motioninjoy.com is virus free.

Why would I omit something that everyone has the right to know?

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs