Dark v light tokens?

Mashugana

How do you get these? It looks like you get them if you earn a command level while your side is in victory state. That feels random - I can't really control the victory state or when I level so I do not know how to hunt/grind tokens

Do I have the mechanic wrong?

Thankd

How do you get these? It looks like you get them if you earn a command level while your side is in victory state. That feels random - I can't really control the victory state or when I level so I do not know how to hunt/grind tokens

Do I have the mechanic wrong?

Thankd

That is how the mechanic works. Sorry to disappoint, but there is no way to hunt/grind these tokens. The best way to "grind" them is when serendipity is in your favor: you are online and your character's side is in a victory state, get as many CXP levels as you can with that character.

That said, you'd be surprised how fast you can get the tokens, if you play with any consistency.

Lastly, in all candor, the stuff you can get with the tokens ain't that great; there is nothing from the vendor that is "OMG I MUST HAVE THIS NAU!!!!"

It looks like you get them if you earn a command level while your side is in victory state.
Your side doesn't have to be in the "victory state", just "ahead" in the DvL conflict. If you are fighting for the Light side, and the indicator shows Light 1 or higher, you will get a token when you level, no need to wait for the one hour after your side gets a "victory" (Light 5). Edited by Adric_the_Red

Lastly, in all candor, the stuff you can get with the tokens ain't that great; there is nothing from the vendor that is "OMG I MUST HAVE THIS NAU!!!!"

There are a couple of nice speeders. Some of the armor is interesting. Most of the stuff is BtL so you can transfer it to other alts.

Edited by JediQuaker

There are a couple of nice speeders. Some of the armor is interesting. Most of the stuff is BtL so you can transfer it to other alts.

I had a very difficult time finding anything I wanted to get from that vendor, even with alts in mind, so the appeal of the items really is subjective. Also, the alignment requirement for the items means you can transfer them only to select alts. I thought of giving the pets to a specific alt (one that has the majority of the pets I've unlocked) then remembered they were neutral, so I couldn't have them use the DvL pets until I did something to change their alignment.

Your side doesn't have to be in the "victory state", just "ahead" in the DvL conflict. If you are fighting for the Light side, and the indicator shows Light 1 or higher, you will get a token when you level, no need to wait for the one hour after your side gets a "victory" (Light 5).

This is not generally true. On most of my characters the side i'm supporting does actually need to be in a victorious state to earn tokens. If I'm lightside and it's light 2 f.e., I will not get any tokens for leveling up a cxp-rank. Reading the dev-posts from pre/early 5.0 I think this is actually the way it's supposed to be. However, sometimes on some characters I do in fact gain tokens when my side is ahead, but not in a victorious state yet. I consider that to be a bug (but since nobody really cares about these tokens anyway, I don't expect a fix).

Edited by mrwayn

This is not generally true. On most of my characters the side i'm supporting does actually need to be in a victorious state to earn tokens. If I'm lightside and it's light 2 f.e., I will not get any tokens for leveling up a cxp-rank. Reading the dev-posts from pre/early 5.0 I think this is actually the way it's supposed to be. However, sometimes on some characters I do in fact gain tokens when my side is ahead, but not in a victorious state yet. I consider that to be a bug (but since nobody really cares about these tokens anyway, I don't expect a fix).

Actually, you are incorrect. I don't know how to explain your perceptions, but I can say with absolute certainty that with every single level 70 character I have, if that character is at least Light I, and I level up a command rank while the server light 1-light 5, I will get a token. You absolutely do not have to be in a victory state and this is definitely working as intended because you have mis read the dev posts. Again, I cannot explain your perception but I am certain I get the tokens. As recently as yesterday in fact.

OP, the other time you can earn tokens is if you defeat one of the special world bosses that spawn during the victory state if you are of the opposite alignment. For example, if Dark is victorious, and you get an ops group together and kill some of the dark side world bosses, and you are light sided, you will earn light tokens.

Actually, you are incorrect. I don't know how to explain your perceptions, but I can say with absolute certainty that with every single level 70 character I have, if that character is at least Light I, and I level up a command rank while the server light 1-light 5, I will get a token. You absolutely do not have to be in a victory state and this is definitely working as intended because you have mis read the dev posts. Again, I cannot explain your perception but I am certain I get the tokens. As recently as yesterday in fact.

It's not a perception, it's a fact (for my characters). I'm 100% certain, that I don't get tokens if there is no light/dark V on most of my characters. Either it's a bug on my end and I should also gain tokens if my side is ahead, or it's a bug on your end and you should not be gaining tokens unless it's light/dark V. I don't know which it is for sure.

easy way to get tokens if the character doesn't have a high cmd rank. best would be 1-30:

do the dailies on Black Hole, CZ, Oricon, Belsavis and don't turn them in until you reach the quest limit.

Buy the double EXP boost from the token vendor (50K Cr + 190 tokens). Wait until your allignment is in victory state (or just lvl 1 if it works, i don't know ). Use the token and turn the quests in. This should be good for at least 25 GCMD levels, so you'll get just as many tokens.

You get a light side token with each command crate, when the galaxy's alignment matches your character's alignment - you can be neutral with 1 point light side, and the Galaxy can be at Light I - you will get a light token.

What you chose on the DvL switch has no impact on gaining tokens other than allowing you to change your alignment.

It's still a good idea to wait for victory state before you turn in a couple of quests, because you get 15% more CXP when a side has won and you match the alignment (again -1 or less = Dark, 0 or higher = Light).

So when you have a neutral char you can play the system and gain both kinds of tokens and always benefit from a victory state, but you can't actually use the tokens (i.e. buy stuff from the vendors) while being neutral.

Edited by Mubrak

Either it's a bug on my end

Yes, it's a bug on your end. Are you capped for the week? Capped at 100? The only other thing I could think of is that you aren't all the way to Light I or Dark I for your character's personal alignment. I know the poster above me said you could have just one point on the light side, but I was of the understanding that you needed to be at least Light I or Dark I. Either way, it is a bug that you are not receiving them everytime you rank up and alignments match.

You get a light side token with each command crate, when the galaxy's alignment matches your character's alignment

I thought it was that the "ahead" side has to match your alignment toggle position, not your character's alignment. Granted, they will usually be the same, but if you've just switched a Dark V character's alignment toggle to light, or vice versa, they won't.

I thought it was that the "ahead" side has to match your alignment toggle position, not your character's alignment. Granted, they will usually be the same, but if you've just switched a Dark V character's alignment toggle to light, or vice versa, they won't.

It needs to be your alignment, not the toggle. Otherwise you'd just need to set the toggle to the winning side to get your tokens. Neutral chars have that convenience - just kill a couple mobs to switch alignment, then turn in the quests or fight the DvL bosses. But neutral chars also don't have much use for the tokens - pets are easy, but everything else requires a big commitment to dark/light)

On my neutraI chars I often set my toggle to the opposite side before turning in quests to shift back to neutral. As long as that doesn't shift my alignment past 0 before I get a crate, I always get a token (or rather a "you exceeded the maximum" message, since I have100 of each type and nothing left to buy.)

Edited by Mubrak