Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

I've got a quick question around loading times (ie, when arriving at a planet, going into a warzone). I bought a Vertex 3 SSD, which only has the O/S and SWTOR on it. My motherboard is only SATA2, so I recognize I'm not getting the full benefit of a SATA3 SSD, but I'm still seeing 30-45 second loading times. Is that normal? Are you guys seeing roughly the same?

I am running on AHCI, my Windows Experience is showing a 7.7 for data transfer, and my AS SSD scores 430.

Does that look about right?

Thanks very much.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Video card AMD Radeon HD 6490M 1GB DDR5

PLEASE, if this wont run the game on high definition, can you tell me so i can cancel the order or at least ask for a refund before the delivery, my father doesnt have much money but star wars is something we build our relationship on and i don't wanna disappoint him....

Thanx in advance guyz...

I saw that the 2GB version of the videocard would cost 200 bucks more, would that help if the 1GB is not good enough ?

That video card sucks, you should not be paying 200 bucks more for it. But that price might be for a much better graphics card.

The 6490M is low-level though. I would not recommend it.

- above is the link to the computer i have im not sure if the uma graphics card would be better stock or with the graphics card because the stock has no dedicated ram but the the x1900 is so old.

And it sucks, you should look into replacing it as soon as possible.

I posted earlier about need some new parts for my PC. I have a dell Inspiron 537 pc. It's a smaller case even though the inside looks pretty open. I have to make sure the parts will fit. i'm looking to spend around 300.00. I need to upgrade my power supply (currently running a 300w) and the video card. tell me if the following two options are good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161384

Any advice on parts is welcome..

Hey guyz ' got a quick question and need a response in a hurry, lemme explain:

Been a fan of star wars since i'm a lil girl like most of us, was playing it sincefirst day of Early game access and as my rig is way too old, my father just told me he'd buy me a new one so i can play the game with maxx graphics on my hd tv... Thing is, he just bought it without asking me and i have no idea if that would be possible, or even if the laptop will be able to run the game ! Here are some specs :

i7-2670QM 2.2 Ghz

Windows 7 64bits

Memory 6GB DDR3

Video card AMD Radeon HD 6490M 1GB DDR5

PLEASE, if this wont run the game on high definition, can you tell me so i can cancel the order or at least ask for a refund before the delivery, my father doesnt have much money but star wars is something we build our relationship on and i don't wanna disappoint him....

Thanx in advance guyz...

I saw that the 2GB version of the videocard would cost 200 bucks more, would that help if the 1GB is not good enough ?

Going to mimic what another poster said. You need a different video card. Is there a way to pick a totally different video card for your laptop?

Otherwise, the computer should run swtor pretty well. Just check on the video card.

I posted earlier about need some new parts for my PC. I have a dell Inspiron 537 pc. It's a smaller case even though the inside looks pretty open. I have to make sure the parts will fit. i'm looking to spend around 300.00. I need to upgrade my power supply (currently running a 300w) and the video card. tell me if the following two options are good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161384

Any advice on parts is welcome..

Your links don't work for me for some odd reason. Can you be a little more specific on parts? What your setup currently is would be nice as well.

I can't seem to find your post either in this thread...odd. O_o

There is no way you should put 300 dollars into that PC. Set your price to about half that level, if anything, or save your money for a replacement.

And yes, your links are bad, so we can't check them, but if they are expensive parts, I'll say no.

I can't seem to find your post either in this thread...odd. O_o

He had a post in its own thread, I vaguely remember it, but obviously finding it would be too much trouble.

Edited by Colobulous

could this laptop play SWTOR:

Processor Manufacturer: Intel

Processor Type: Core i5

Processor Model: i5-480M

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Processor Core: Dual-core (2 Core)

Graphics Controller Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Graphics Controller Model: GeForce GT 540M

Graphics Memory Capacity: 1 GB

RAM: 4GB

cheers

Hello,

My G5 mouse is not working with swtor. I dont even use profiles, I just have my buttons always set to behave a certain way, no matter what program I am running and they do not work inside the client.

Any suggestions as to what I should/can do?

My G5 mouse is not working with swtor. I dont even use profiles, I just have my buttons always set to behave a certain way, no matter what program I am running and they do not work inside the client.

Any suggestions as to what I should/can do?

Do you have a separate admin account for your system? If so, try running your software to set up your mouse with that account instead.

The game client is rather poorly coded, it tries to run as admin, which it shouldn't, and that messed up a lot of software.

Do you have a separate admin account for your system? If so, try running your software to set up your mouse with that account instead.

The game client is rather poorly coded, it tries to run as admin, which it shouldn't, and that messed up a lot of software.

I do not have a separate admin account. I have tried running SWTOR as an admin, but that doesnt change anything.

I've also updated my mouse drivers and software with no change.

could this laptop play SWTOR:

Processor Manufacturer: Intel

Processor Type: Core i5

Processor Model: i5-480M

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Processor Core: Dual-core (2 Core)

Graphics Controller Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Graphics Controller Model: GeForce GT 540M

Graphics Memory Capacity: 1 GB

RAM: 4GB

cheers

It should run just fine for the most part. Or are you seeking to see if it can run it max settings?

ok, my turn. looking to build a comp. only can spend around 500. want to go intel i3 (so i can upgrade to something better at a later date). any suggestions would be really help. i am not against buying a prebuilt if its worth it, but i would prefer to build my own. thanks in advance...

ok, my turn. looking to build a comp. only can spend around 500. want to go intel i3 (so i can upgrade to something better at a later date). any suggestions would be really help. i am not against buying a prebuilt if its worth it, but i would prefer to build my own. thanks in advance...

Do u have any hardware or os system to start with

@Velvetelvis Here is something in the sub $400 category that will get you started in the right direction. The graphix card is definitely low end, but you could easily resell it on ebay or the likes and put the money toward something much better. (possibly same thing with the PSU if you plan on upgrading more later on)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1355273&CatId=333

Edited by ArrowCool

@Velvetelvis Here is something in the sub $400 category that will get you started in the right direction. The graphix card is definitely low end, but you could easily resell it on ebay or the likes and put the money toward something much better. (possibly same thing with the PSU if you plan on upgrading more later on)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1355273&CatId=333

thanks for the reply. will this allow me to upgrade later?

thanks for the reply. will this allow me to upgrade later?

It should. The mobo supports second gen I series processors, so if you wanted to go to an i5 or 7 down the road you should be ok in that regard. The memory is also expandable to 16 gigs, if you find you need that much later on. The only thing I see as a possible concern is (and this depends on how much upgrading you plan on doing) there is only 1 PCI-e x16 slot.

It should. The mobo supports second gen I series processors, so if you wanted to go to an i5 or 7 down the road you should be ok in that regard. The memory is also expandable to 16 gigs, if you find you need that much later on. The only thing I see as a possible concern is (and this depends on how much upgrading you plan on doing) there is only 1 PCI-e x16 slot.

very cool. thank you. i dont think the single pci slot will be a big deal as i dont do a lot of pc gaming. got an xbox and ps3 for gaming. but ive been looking forward to this game for awhile and want to be able to play it at decent settings and fps. and my wife can use it also, i guess.

It should run just fine for the most part. Or are you seeking to see if it can run it max settings?

tbf, im just looking to pvp, totally happy with low graphic settings, but would it still run with an i3 CPU at 2.1 GHz? its just cheaper that way

very cool. thank you. i dont think the single pci slot will be a big deal as i dont do a lot of pc gaming. got an xbox and ps3 for gaming. but ive been looking forward to this game for awhile and want to be able to play it at decent settings and fps. and my wife can use it also, i guess.

i3 processor 150$:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115068

Motherboard supports i3,i5,i7. 16 gb ram max 95$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138177

Ddr3 8gb (2x4gb) 40$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

Gtx 460 1gb 150$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130749

tbf, im just looking to pvp, totally happy with low graphic settings, but would it still run with an i3 CPU at 2.1 GHz? its just cheaper that way

What are the system requirements for the game?

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:

Windows XP or later

So, you'll be fine :)