Was Dooku's execution planned?

DatBoiKeeKee

I was watching Ep 3 and I was wondering if Sidious had planned Dooku's execution by Anakin.

It's possible that Sidious had instructed for Dooku to incapacitate Kenobi first during their fight, to leave him and Anakin in a 1v1, and in the likely event that Anakin disarmed Dooku, Kenobi would be out of the picture and leave Sidious open to order Dooku's execution.

There is no way that Dooku would have been executed had Kenobi still been conscious and in the fight.

Made all the more amusing by, during the filming of the AotC Dooku/Yoda duel, George helping to wheel out a statue of Yoda, and saying "OKay, Chris, here's your opponent," and Yoda has a set of paper vampire fangs taped to his mouth.

Christopher Lee's response? "Oh, George. . . I didn't think you were going to do this to me."

Actually, I suspect that the only reason for Dooku's existence was so Lucas could (sort of) finish the "Hammer Films" reunion by getting Christopher Lee in Star Wars somewhere...

Just wish it could've been a younger Christopher Lee.

His swordsmanship in movies is absolutely brilliant. The Four Musketeers shows it beautifully. Partly why it's one of my favourite film duels of all time.

Probably.

Dooku was the LEADER of the Seperatist forces, well, officially.

Obi Wan -might- have argued 'we should capture him alive!', but I dunno... Dude was kinda responsible for a lot of deaths, at least in the Jedi's eyes. Grevious, Sev'rance Tann, Durge, Jango Fett, Cydon Prax and other separatists didn't find much 'capture them alive'. (Really, those captured during the Clone Wars series are pretty much written that way because murdering bad guys isn't kiddy.)

On the other hand? Dooku DID sorta remove one of Anakin's limbs last time. Dooku could have assumed 'Well, I beat this punk once, I better disable the competent fighter before finishing this idiot'.

On the other OTHER hand, It could have been that he was commanded by Darth Sidious to fight Anakin alone for... Uh. Whatever reason. He certainly didn't expect for the Sidious to reveal himself (And it's fairly clear that he didn't know Sidious was the chancellor from the books and actual fight scene) and order his death.

In the end, the 'Chosen one' was Sidious' target since the very begining. Anakin was picked out after the battle of Naboo (Probably before then, during the visit to Curoscant). What better apprentice than the manifestation of the living force created by your predecessor's experiments in defeating death itself? Maul and Dooku were means to an end. Puppets trained and played against the future apprentice to twist fate down the right road.

Qui-gon, killed by Maul, would have kept Anakin aware of the dark side by teaching him to relax and calm himself like he did with Obi Wan. Dooku created the uprising needed to create unrest in the galaxy while Sidious promised Anakin that the galaxy would have peace under his rule, it also served to allow Anakin to be aggressive and be fueled by the clones serving his every command. Teaching a padawan to show restraint and peace is impossible during a war after all.

Of course Dooku knew Sidious and Palpatine were the same person. That was the whole point.

And isn't the point of this thread.

What was being asked, is whether or not Palpatine planned Dooku's death by Anakin's hand.

The blatant answer is, yes. Dooku didn't even see it coming, as shown by the look on his face when Palps says "Kill him".

To qoute Yoda "always two there are. A Master, and an Apprentice." This is the way of the Sith, it's deadmans boots. Sidious used Dooku for what he needed which was a figurehead for the Seperatists and to lead them in the war. His objective since Ep1 was always Anakin, he knew he was the chosen one, he could probably feel the force radiating from him. But he couldn't get to him, so he befriended him whenever he could, twisting his thoughts and laying the seeds of doubt and mistrust. And then when it was time, bamn. He claimed him.

To qoute Yoda "always two there are. A Master, and an Apprentice." This is the way of the Sith, it's deadmans boots. Sidious used Dooku for what he needed which was a figurehead for the Seperatists and to lead them in the war. His objective since Ep1 was always Anakin, he knew he was the chosen one, he could probably feel the force radiating from him. But he couldn't get to him, so he befriended him whenever he could, twisting his thoughts and laying the seeds of doubt and mistrust. And then when it was time, bamn. He claimed him.

lol...

That just reminded me of the uncanny resemblance between the Catholic pope and Palpatine and that whole issue with catholic priests and little boys. Its like George knew all along.

Edited by Kabloosh

I was watching Ep 3 and I was wondering if Sidious had planned Dooku's execution by Anakin.

It's possible that Sidious had instructed for Dooku to incapacitate Kenobi first during their fight, to leave him and Anakin in a 1v1, and in the likely event that Anakin disarmed Dooku, Kenobi would be out of the picture and leave Sidious open to order Dooku's execution.

There is no way that Dooku would have been executed had Kenobi still been conscious and in the fight.

Dooku was a place-holder for Anakin. Sid planned the death as another provocation for Anakin.

Not exactly the point of this thread, but I think it's still important and relevant. I've been wondering for quite a while - was Dooku aware that Darth Sidious was Chancellor Palpatine? A few posts ago ErikModi said that he was - but I'd like to see someone else back that up as well.

From a story point of view, there is no reason the story would require Dooku to know that Sidious was the chancellor. If I remember correctly, the only times we ever see Sidious contact Dooku are by holocomm. So if they never met in person, then it's perfectly possible that Dooku could go on just fine commanding the Separatists, receiving orders from Sidious to kidnap Palpatine on Coruscant, without realizing that Sidious was Palpatine. :D

Not exactly the point of this thread, but I think it's still important and relevant. I've been wondering for quite a while - was Dooku aware that Darth Sidious was Chancellor Palpatine? A few posts ago ErikModi said that he was - but I'd like to see someone else back that up as well.

From a story point of view, there is no reason the story would require Dooku to know that Sidious was the chancellor. If I remember correctly, the only times we ever see Sidious contact Dooku are by holocomm. So if they never met in person, then it's perfectly possible that Dooku could go on just fine commanding the Separatists, receiving orders from Sidious to kidnap Palpatine on Coruscant, without realizing that Sidious was Palpatine. :D

Dooku knew. Its in many books but he also kind of leaves hints to Obi in AotC.

Dooku knew. Its in many books but he also kind of leaves hints to Obi in AotC.

If Dooku knew, then yeah, he must have felt more than a little betrayed when Palpatine told Anakin to kill him. Ouch. :o

Could you give me an example of those hints he gave to Obi-Wan?

If Dooku knew, then yeah, he must have felt more than a little betrayed when Palpatine told Anakin to kill him. Ouch. :o

Could you give me an example of those hints he gave to Obi-Wan?

Well, you saw the shock and surprise when Palps told Anakin to kill Dooku.

And, if you remember or if I remember correctly, in the AoTC movie, when Obi is captured and Dooku italks about Sidious and Obi refuses to believe it. Its when Obi was captured.

Its a little scene. I don't own the movie anymore but I remember it.

Here's the quote from Attack of the Clones, for your interest.

Count Dooku: The truth. What if I told you that the Republic is now under the control of the Dark Lords of the Sith?

Obi-Wan Kenobi: No, that's not possible! The Jedi would be aware it!

Count Dooku: The Dark Side of the Force has clouded their vision, my friend. Hundreds of senators are now under the influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: I don't believe you.

How your playing a game based on the Sith era, and still don't understand how they work is insane.

Allow me to explain, Sith when choosing an apprentice will normally pit their current apprentice against a chosen suitable replacement, if the Student wins they remain apprentice, but if they loose they die. and the one that slains them takes their place, this way there is always 2, a master and an apprentice, no more no less (unles you play this game where sith are abundant somehow, and people said SWG wasnt cannon) In any case to progress in the sith ranks the only way to move up is to slain your current master, fail and your fate will be no different then you intended his to be.

So in short Yes Palpatine knew damn well Dooku had a 50/50 chance at death and was very much betting against him but he was also betting against Anakin. either ay he would win because the stronger sith would bow to his commands.

Really what it comes down to is a "If it aint broke dont fix it, later on" The emperor tried to use the same tactic on Luke Vs Vader, but Luke refused to fight. Unlike Anakin who was edger to showoff

Edited by keiklo

Dooku flys to Corusant to meet his emperor after fleeing from a fight in EP2:TCW, so they did indeed meet in person and he definatly knows he betrayed at the begining of EPIII TRoTS

Edited by keiklo

I think so. Dooku was mighty but his power was nothing compared to Skywalker's. I think Palpatine set up that entire conflict to turn Skywalker farther to the dark side, knowing that Skywalker held a grudge against Dooku for taking his arm and plotting to assassinate Padme.

I think Dooku thought he would be captured or they would turn Anakin together. You can see his shock when Palpatine makes Anakin do it. And i think Palpatine uses it as a means to draw Anakin to the dark side. He kills Dooku, feels bad about it but Palpatine convinces him that it has helped the situation, that it is better now the galaxy is free of Dooku. Slowly turning him to the idea of the dark side and going further than the Jedi would.