Orphanages in Star Wars Lore

proudofthefish

Hello there,

I am relatively new to the SW Expanded Universe and I was trying to work out a background for my character and how they would know each other and be all different races. I really got into this game for it's story possibilities so even though I am not at Legacy yet I am already thinking of backgrounds. My first character is a female Miraluka JK. And I wanted my second character to be a human male IA. I wanted them to know each other from childhood and I was thinking they could have been at an orphanage together until she was discovered by the Jedi.

However I like my backgrounds to be pretty reasonable and so is there any lore supporting (or not supporting) orphanages that would be open to all races? I'm thinking it would probably be on a core world. Or I am open to other suggestions that achieve a similar end.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I think you could just make up one. There are only a few orphanages i know of in the EU and all are in the Movie time line, Hard to think they are operating 3000 years in the past :p

I don't think Imperial Intelligence is in the habit of randomly going to orphanages to get recruits. Why would they? There is literally 0 reason to, and you don't just "sign up". The selection process is quite strict. A bounty hunter, now that would work, or a Sith Inquisitor, as they are slaves at the start. Sith Warrior seems to be of higher class than your average imperial.

I don't think Imperial Intelligence is in the habit of randomly going to orphanages to get recruits. Why would they? There is literally 0 reason to, and you don't just "sign up". The selection process is quite strict. A bounty hunter, now that would work, or a Sith Inquisitor, as they are slaves at the start. Sith Warrior seems to be of higher class than your average imperial.

Bounty hunters are slaves? I thought they just were freelance mercenaries who decide to get in with that group Mako is in to try to get into and win the great hunt.

I say come up with what you like. Don't use the Official class story to set up your RP background. Many people do that I think its kinda meh. I mean how many Great Hunt Camps will we have if every one did that? On some of my toon's i don't even RP them as the class they are lol. Edited by Iwih

Hello there,

I am relatively new to the SW Expanded Universe and I was trying to work out a background for my character and how they would know each other and be all different races. I really got into this game for it's story possibilities so even though I am not at Legacy yet I am already thinking of backgrounds. My first character is a female Miraluka JK. And I wanted my second character to be a human male IA. I wanted them to know each other from childhood and I was thinking they could have been at an orphanage together until she was discovered by the Jedi.

However I like my backgrounds to be pretty reasonable and so is there any lore supporting (or not supporting) orphanages that would be open to all races? I'm thinking it would probably be on a core world. Or I am open to other suggestions that achieve a similar end.

Thanks in advance for the help.

With the Star Wars universe being so large it would not be surprising that there would be just about one of anything, including orphanages. Personally I like the concept, it might be tough for the orphanage to have people go to the two different "factions" (Republic/Empire).

Some thoughts to help you if you wish: I would check the timeline situation but the orphanage could have been on a Republic planet that was taken over by the Empire (the Mirakula could have left juts before the invasion). The orphanage could have been a front for the Empire to recruit agents/force senstivies (which the Mirakula JK could have been rescued from).

In my personal opinion as long as the concept isnt too far fetched, it could be fun.

I say come up with what you like. Don't use the Official class story to set up your RP background. Many people do that I think its kinda meh. I mean how many Great Hunt Camps will we have if every one did that? On some of my toon's i don't even RP them as the class they are lol.

Yes, that is the problem with stories that go to great heights. I was honestly disappointed with both SW and SI because it's a multiplayer game yet obviously there can only be one Wrath or Darth Nox, yet everyone is. I was just commenting on how it would work WITH the stories, ignoring them is completely ok, and even advisable.

Edited by Jandi

With the Star Wars universe being so large it would not be surprising that there would be just about one of anything, including orphanages. Personally I like the concept, it might be tough for the orphanage to have people go to the two different "factions" (Republic/Empire).

Some thoughts to help you if you wish: I would check the timeline situation but the orphanage could have been on a Republic planet that was taken over by the Empire (the Mirakula could have left juts before the invasion). The orphanage could have been a front for the Empire to recruit agents/force senstivies (which the Mirakula JK could have been rescued from).

In my personal opinion as long as the concept isnt too far fetched, it could be fun.

Oh I like that idea. Thanks for the help guys. And the interesting point about the stories being a little too constricting. I'll post my backgrounds on the forum when I get them all worked out.

One thing I was looking for was a timeline of the different stories. I can't really find summaries of course because people don't want to be spoiled (which I understand), but I was wondering do all the stories take place at roughly the same time?

Oh I like that idea. Thanks for the help guys. And the interesting point about the stories being a little too constricting. I'll post my backgrounds on the forum when I get them all worked out.

One thing I was looking for was a timeline of the different stories. I can't really find summaries of course because people don't want to be spoiled (which I understand), but I was wondering do all the stories take place at roughly the same time?

Are you looking to see if the different stories happen concurrently and over the same time/duration? I would say overall yes (there does not seem to any hard set time progression and all seem to run concurrently), but timelines with a few specific planets are done at different times. All of the classes on each faction (Empire/Republic) go through the planets in the same order but the different factions do not. I believe most of the planets are in the same order between the factions except Balmoora/Taris. Empire characters visit Balmoora first, then Taris later and vice-versa for Republic.

For the Empire faction you visit Balmoora to help destroy a resistance that is partly assisted by some Republic people. The Republic characters visit the planet later in their series and arrive as the Empire has destroyed much of the resistance and dominates most of the world. The Republic characters go through and destroys the Empire's control.

On Taris the Republic characters arrive first and give help to recolonize the planet. The Empire characters arrive later and begin to drive the Republic from the world.

Even in addition to the above there does seem to be an order in which the class quests happen on planets.

On Alderaan

My Sith Inquisitor was basically running around being destructive and encouraging conflict between Ulgo, Organa and Thul. The Empire was putting effort into upping the military campaign aspect of the conflict.

By the Jedi Knight, people were ready to start planning for a peace summit, which then took place during the Jedi Consular's run through. So presumably the Inquisitor storyline took place weeks or months before the Knight storyline, which in turn was a few weeks before the consular storyline, which I got the impression lasted a couple of weeks.

I don't know exactly how the other classes fit into this, and how it holds for other planets. It is probably safe to assume that within a span of several months that at the time that you're visiting the planet, the other classes in your faction will visit it or have already visited within a few months/weeks.

The Act changes all happen around the same point in time for everyone with regards to the overarching conflict between the Empire and the Republic.

well there are orphins on ord mantell courcant and balmoria but no officioal orphanages that im aware.

but u can allways tweak it so that they were simply orphins that looked after each other on the mean streets of (what ever planet u wish) untill a jedi found one and took them for training, the empire would then stumble on the other take as a slave and maybe see their skills and take them for intellgance training.