New Star Wars MMO?

ajmeyer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't be a Star Wars MMO, EA has the license for the coming decade.

Most likely it'll be a sci-fi sandbox game, in the spirit of SWG (minus all the mistakes) and he's counting on the SWG fans to support it.

This, pretty much.

Though I knew the "Bring Back SWG" crowd would immediately jump to the conclusion that SWG was coming back.

SWG is gone and isn't (legitimately) coming back.

Ever.

SOE is just hoping that the game they're working on will appeal to people who liked the best parts of SWG's gameplay.

Most likely it'll be a sci-fi sandbox game, in the spirit of SWG (minus all the mistakes) and he's counting on the SWG fans to support it.

^This

At most it will be a Spiritual Successor in terms of gameplay, but it won't be a "New Star Wars MMO". The new SOE MMO will be "dedicated to [sWG fans]" the same way Star Citizen is dedicated to Wing Commander/Freelancer fans. Same "feel", but set in a different universe.

This is still good news for SWG fans who've been looking for something to scratch their sandbox gameplay itch though. (And heck, it's not impossible that it'll "inspire" EA/BW to add a few more sandbox elements to mitigate the risk of losing players to it - although that is far from certain.)

in the spirit of SWG (minus all the mistakes) and he's counting on the SWG fans to support it.

If Smedley's involved there will be no shortage of mistakes. And if he's involved SWG fans won't be flocking to it.

Edited by Pscyon

Anyone have any info on what the new MMO from SOE is? John Smedley posted that there new game coming out will make players of Star Wars Galaxies very happy. Link to article below....

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/24/smedley-soes-unannounced-mmo-is-dedicated-to-swg-players/

Heh....

"SWG players, our next game (not announced yet) is dedicated to you," Smedley wrote. "Once we launch it... you can come home now."

If it is dedicated in classic Smedley style... you best hope there is a least some kisses and hugs before the "dedication" is applied. :p

SWG fans and alumni.... you are not seriously going to allow yourself to get /Smedleyed again are you? :)

And I see they are going to euthanize Vanguard later this year too. Smedley, IMO, is the grim reaper of the MMO game space.

Edited by Andryah

I'm not sure the game is entirely unannounced. At SOE Live in late 2012 Smedley discussed an Asian influenced fantasy game they were developing that was going to have open world housing and a few other features similar to SWG. I can't remember the name of it (nor do I care enough to Google it), but I think that might be what he's talking about because I don't think there's been much discussion of that game since then as they've been trying to keep the spotlight on EQN.

Anyone have any info on what the new MMO from SOE is? John Smedley posted that there new game coming out will make players of Star Wars Galaxies very happy. Link to article below....

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/24/smedley-soes-unannounced-mmo-is-dedicated-to-swg-players/

It probably be some thing similar to swg, but it won't be starwars related. Perhaps some space mmorpg, but I highly doubt it. It's probably another lame fantasy mmorpg.

Edited by Knockerz

Heh....

If it is dedicated in classic Smedley style... you best hope there is a least some kisses and hugs before the "dedication" is applied. :p

SWG fans and alumni.... you are not seriously going to allow yourself to get /Smedleyed again are you? :)

And I see they are going to euthanize Vanguard later this year too. Smedley, IMO, is the grim reaper of the MMO game space.

Did Smed ever launch a game that lost 80% of its customers in 3 months? Didn't think so.

Did Smed ever launch a game that lost 80% of its customers in 3 months? Didn't think so.

Yeah, I think Smedley tends to get smacked around by armchair quarterbacks because the series of errors called SWG. Take that out of the equation and the only thing he's really done is run SOE through the same ups and downs that it would have experienced regardless of who was sitting in his chair. In my opinion, he's not guilty of anything more egregious than what a dozen other executives at a dozen companies in the MMO sphere have done in the last ten years: primarily ending innovation in favor of emulating the leader in the market; which lead to creating a bunch of hand-holdy, cookie-cutter games that over promised, under delivered and thus under performed.

False. EA has the singleplayer license for the coming decade. Disney can license to whomever they want for online games. Case in point: http://www.starwarsattacksquadrons.com/

True. smed even says its's a new IP, meaning not Star Wars.

There ya go.

I would love an MMO like SWG again, especially one where there are classes that not only focuses on combat, this game is all about combat, which is what most MMOs are about. In SWG you could just be a crafter or even an entertainer. I really miss those type of classes, it made the game have more variety.

I would love an MMO like SWG again, especially one where there are classes that not only focuses on combat, this game is all about combat, which is what most MMOs are about. In SWG you could just be a crafter or even an entertainer. I really miss those type of classes, it made the game have more variety.

I think Smed and SOE can make a hit out of the ballpark with a game just like SWG but without having to be constricted to the lore of the IP or having to worry about Nancy McEntire -level morons deciding "We've decided everyone wants to be Luke or Han, noone wants to play Uncle Owen." thus bringing in the NGE.

Edited by Zorvan

No, Smedley has simply and persistently destroyed most every MMO property he ever got his hands on. He uses the slow strangle and alientate methodology. That way, players are fooled into coming back for another, and another mishandling.

I am somewhat interested.

Classic SWG was a great game. I've had some of my fondest mmo experiences during that time. But I've boycotted SOE since the CU and I still don't really trust SOE to develop a good game and not **** it up some time down the road.

Edited by Vinak

Yeah, I think Smedley tends to get smacked around by armchair quarterbacks because the series of errors called SWG.

It's more substantial then that. Personally, I have no emotional investment in SWG, nor SoE for that matter, simply pointing out that Smedley is persistent in what he does.. and yet.. there he is.. getting ready to in all likelihood do it again. :)

To pretend that they (SoE) are thoughtful and successful stewards of their MMO properties is kind of misguided IMO. And Smedley is at the helm.. so it's on his watch.

As for Smedley.. it's not the mishandling of any single MMO property, but rather the persistent mishandling of so many over such a long period of time. It's amazing that he has not gone the way of other executives that have been visible and public through the rise and fall of MMO properties ------> retirement.

Edited by Andryah

It's more substantial then that. Personally, I have no emotional investment in SWG, nor SoE for that matter, simply pointing out that Smedley is persistent in what he does.. and yet.. there he is.. getting ready to in all likelihood do it again. :)

To pretend that they (SoE) are thoughtful and successful stewards of their MMO properties is kind of misguided IMO. And Smedley is at the helm.. so it's on his watch.

As for Smedley.. it's not the mishandling of any single MMO property, but rather the persistent mishandling of so many over such a long period of time. It's amazing that he has not gone the way of other executives that have been visible and public through the rise and fall of MMO properties ------> retirement.

So what exactly was mishandled and how was it mishandled? Please enlighten me, because I keep hearing that about every single MMO launched by any company in the last six or seven years. Seriously, anything and everything that has failed to become the next World of Warcraft is because "the game was absolutely brilliant, but company X mishandled it". At some point can we start looking at the fact the games themselves stopped innovating and started emulating?

What has Smedley and SOE done so significantly different from every other company in the MMO space? Please enlighten my feeble mind as to what properties Smedley has mishandled.

Pirates of the Burning Sea? Was there really a huge number of people that wanted a Pirate themed MMORPG? With a step learning curve to boot?

Wizardry Online? You have stated that a huge number of today's MMO players want hand-holdy with no challenge (perhaps not in those exact words but the sentiment was there), so how much demand is there for any MMO with permadeath, particularly in the done-to-death fantasy genre?

The Matrix Online and Vanguard? All SOE did was bring on other companies' broken games and do their best to try to fix them in a live environment. But you never get a second chance at a first impression: both of these titles were born dying and nothing was going to save them.

So again, please tell me what SOE has mishandled in a way any more meaningful than what every other MMO company has also managed to screw up? I'm not saying that Smedley and SOE are without sin: I'm saying that their sins are no different than anyone else's; they just take more heat for being just as bad at playing follow the leader as everyone else on their block.

Smed hoping for swg fans to support a project led by him and developed by SOE?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.……

……HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HA

Edited by Telaan

The Matrix Online and Vanguard? All SOE did was bring on other companies' broken games and do their best to try to fix them in a live environment. But you never get a second chance at a first impression: both of these titles were born dying and nothing was going to save them.

Let's not forget, if Brad McQaid and Smedley hadn't been friends since the Verant days, Vanguard would have been dead and buried before it even released, as noone else would touch it after Microsoft dumped Sigil after MS finally forced McQaid to show them how much progress had been made with the millions MS had pumped into the project and all McQaid had to show was a quickly assembled mock up demo because although Vanguard had had development done, it was so haphazard and shoddy that nothing meshed and playing it online with more than 2-3 people was impossible.

The fact SOE devs were able to form a full game from Sigils' mess is a testament to SOEs' talent pool if nothing else.

Edited by Zorvan

Interestingly, the trademark for Star Wars Galaxies has been renewed: http://i.imgur.com/1MgrqIj.png (That's going to give LA some bite if they decide to go after the emu in the future.)

Courtesy of this article regarding the Reddit AMA: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/403703/page/1

It's not all that interesting I'm afraid. Trademarks have to be renewed every ten years, LucasArts renews all of its video game marks regardless of whether they have new games/re-releases planned:

Star Wars Galaxies:

Registration Date: January 2004

Renewal Date: December 2013

Rogue Squadron:

Registration Date: June 2000

Renewal Date: June 2010

Jedi Power Battles:

Registration Date: August 2001

Renewal Date: August 2011

etc., etc., etc.,

Edited by DarthDymond