Seriously annoyed by flashpoints.

So I just found out that Flashpoints apparently contain the best game content in terms of story and such, and I'm really ticked off about it. I'm incredibly shy (technically I have a social anxiety disorder), and thus hate being relied on by -- or even talking to -- other players. I only purchased the game (emptying my metaphorical piggy-bank to do so) after reading something a BioWare employee said in an interview about SWTOR being designed for solo players as well as the more sociable ones. I guess I should have done more research.

This is particularly frustrating because I loved KOTOR and wanted to see the continuation of the story, which is the main reason why I, as a solo player, wanted to play this MMO in the first place. Why would BioWare do this? Why wouldn't they put in an option for playing flashpoints on a lower difficulty made for solo players? Why should they care how I play the game as long as I pay for it?

/rant

So I just found out that Flashpoints apparently contain the best game content in terms of story and such, and I'm really ticked off about it. I'm incredibly shy (technically I have a social anxiety disorder), and thus hate being relied on by -- or even talking to -- other players. I only purchased the game (emptying my metaphorical piggy-bank to do so) after reading something a BioWare employee said in an interview about SWTOR being designed for solo players as well as the more sociable ones. I guess I should have done more research.

This is particularly frustrating because I loved KOTOR and wanted to see the continuation of the story, which is the main reason why I, as a solo player, wanted to play this MMO in the first place. Why would BioWare do this? Why wouldn't they put in an option for playing flashpoints on a lower difficulty made for solo players? Why should they care how I play the game as long as I pay for it?

/rant

Im betting the quote that you saw was pertaining to the leveling experience. You can level to 50 completely solo, but at endgame it will be social unless all you do is dailes, crafting, and space missions.

This is an MMO so as for the single player FPs. I am willing to say that this will never happen as the whole point of an MMO is the social aspect of things. That is why its called Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

This is an MMO so as for the single player FPs. I am willing to say that this will never happen as the whole point of an MMO is the social aspect of things. That is why its called Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

Yeah, I get that. But again, why should they force you to be social? I find the game enjoyable solo, and it's great to have another quality BioWare game. But there's no way for me to do the parts of the game that I care about the most? If they had a single player game that had the same story, then this wouldn't bug me. As it is, it's more than a little frustrating.

What class are you playing? I love the story on my Sith characters. The Jedi Knight one isn't bad so far either. And if you hate talking to "other players", why is it ok for you to rant on a public game forum?

I'm a smuggler/gunslinger. Good story, but as a completionist I don't really want to miss out on the flashpoints, which I've been told have the best story. The reason why I can talk (well, rant) here is because on a forum one can reply at one's own pace, whereas in the game it's real-time chat and I freak out trying to reply quickly.

Edited by MyNinjaPenguin

An MMO involving other people, who would have guessed?

They are not "forcing" you to be social because they are not "forcing" you to own the game at all.

I mean, do you go to a movie then complain to management how they are 'forcing' you to watch it on such a big screen?

Edited by Salmissra

Maybe you can solo the early flashpoints after you out-level them (not sure since I am not very high level).

Also it might be easier if you find a casual PvE guild to join, maybe grouping with some of the same people each time will be less pressure than a group of strangers. I would think that if you go dps you don't really need to talk.

Maybe you can solo the early flashpoints after you out-level them (not sure since I am not very high level).

Also it might be easier if you find a casual PvE guild to join, maybe grouping with some of the same people each time will be less pressure than a group of strangers. I would think that if you go dps you don't really need to talk.

I've run all flashpoints through Foundry on normal as a level 50 sniper and a healing companion. Takes a while on some, others are a breeze. Depends on how much "trash" you can get past. I did not try the Colocid War Games or Red Reaper flashpoints. Definatel did not do Battle for Ilum or False Emp.

An MMO involving other people, who would have guessed?

They are not "forcing" you to be social because they are not "forcing" you to own the game at all.

I mean, do you go to a movie then complain to management how they are 'forcing' you to watch it on such a big screen?

*sigh*

You know, I kind of expected this reaction. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. What I mean is, if I want to experience what is basically the sequel to the great single-player game Knights of the Old Republic, then I have to team up. I would also agree with you if would be unfeasible for BioWare to have made flashpoints for solo players as well. However, since they already put in multiple difficulty levels, how hard would it have been to have one for soloers? It would also have been practical I think, since they would be able to expand their audience that way.

Anyway, I don't mean to be antagonistic. Maybe BioWare had good reasons. To those that were friendly, thanks for the info/suggestions.

you don't HAVE to team up, I've played pretty much the whole game from 0-50 and done.. maybe 2/3 flashpoints. If you want to see more of the Kotor style story, just wait till you get to Taris, they have quests that directly reference the Kotor story.

Yes if you want the best gear you have to do Flashpoints, and later operations, but if funnily enough you don't want to group up, your gear isn't all THAT important, ergo you don't need to do Flashpoints.

you don't HAVE to team up, I've played pretty much the whole game from 0-50 and done.. maybe 2/3 flashpoints. If you want to see more of the Kotor style story, just wait till you get to Taris, they have quests that directly reference the Kotor story.

Yes if you want the best gear you have to do Flashpoints, and later operations, but if funnily enough you don't want to group up, your gear isn't all THAT important, ergo you don't need to do Flashpoints.

Interesting, thanks for the info. And maybe someday I'll get over my social anxiety and play the stuff I missed. :)

*sigh*

You know, I kind of expected this reaction. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. What I mean is, if I want to experience what is basically the sequel to the great single-player game Knights of the Old Republic, then I have to team up. I would also agree with you if would be unfeasible for BioWare to have made flashpoints for solo players as well. However, since they already put in multiple difficulty levels, how hard would it have been to have one for soloers? It would also have been practical I think, since they would be able to expand their audience that way.

Anyway, I don't mean to be antagonistic. Maybe BioWare had good reasons. To those that were friendly, thanks for the info/suggestions.

Thats the main problem. In all honesty it would be very tough to add a solo difficulty level because a lot of the bosses in the FPs are made for a group of 4. The mechanics of these fights would have to be completely changed to allow you to solo it. Basically they would have to remake the FP.

I agree with the other posters though. It is possible to solo some of them with a companion, but it is difficult still.

Well I would just hold tight and see if they follow the way Rift went. After populations dwindled they made solo dungeon content so you could continue story line with out the groups. I don't have any social anxieties so I don't know how that feels but I use vent allowing me to decide to talk (which I do) but you may find some people willing to explain fights there and that would allow you to not have to talk at all. Previous end game guilds I've been in people are more willing to allow people to go along as long as they are willing to atleast listen. Just a suggestion.

You actually can solo most of the FPs once you out level them.

You should be able to solo Essles at around 18-20.

Hammer around 24

Athiss around 30-32

Mandolorian could probably be soloed around 36-38 (I ran a 4 man all 38's and it was cake, so maybe you could solo it at 38 alone, haven't tried yet).

I ran Essells flashpoint solo last night. I was running a lvl. 23 Jedi Guardian and the Essells quest was grey in my quest log. I had skipped it earlier b/c I couldn't find a group and now I wanted to go back and see it.

Positive: It was very exciting to tear through ranks of enemy in a light-saber wielding blur. The story was fantastic and it felt like a great diversion before I got back to the meat of the main game.

Negative: The drawbacks were that I didn't get any real reward beyond the story itself: there was no real experience gain after an hour of game play and I had way out-leveled any equipment I found. Put all the equipment on the GTN so hopefully I will make some money out of it.

Well I would just hold tight and see if they follow the way Rift went. After populations dwindled they made solo dungeon content so you could continue story line with out the groups. I don't have any social anxieties so I don't know how that feels but I use vent allowing me to decide to talk (which I do) but you may find some people willing to explain fights there and that would allow you to not have to talk at all. Previous end game guilds I've been in people are more willing to allow people to go along as long as they are willing to atleast listen. Just a suggestion.

Considering SWTOR already has more subs than Rift ever had at one time, I would call this very unlikely.

Hang in there.. Just try to have fun and who knows, you may stumble upon someone who will help you out just for the sake of it, rather than you specifically looking for a fp group. That happened to me and now grouping can be a lot of fun, but it's still hit or miss. I used to feel similar regarding nerves when in a party, especially as a healer( FFXI WM), you can ruffle some feathers. Don't despair though, do your leveling and like a few others mentioned, you can always go back and solo them later. I did Trouble in Deed last night (4+heroic lvl 15-16) as a lvl 23 JK Sentinel. It was a blast!!! I don't quite get why so many people are so uptight and prone to flaming anyone under the sun for such arbitrary things. The guy has something on his mind and posted about it, BFD! I didn't take your comment as a rant at all.. and their is a difference between real time game experience messaging, and posting on a forum. Geez Louise, it's apples and oranges people.. RELAX!! Anyway, as someone with a bit of social anxiety like yourself, my best advice to you is to keep playing, learn your class strengths and weakness, and solo grind all you want. However, after you level up quite a bit and have a better feel for your abilities, you should help out a much lower level player with a quest or FP. You won't have any reason to be nervous regarding making an in game mistake, so with that pressure gone, you may find yourself feeling a bit more confident. Good luck=)

To all the ppl saying" you can do FPs without talking, whats the problem?", your missing the point. FPs require ppl to work together, placing pressure on each team member to contribute to the group. Especially in smaller 4 man groups, the pressure to perform in optimally can be quite high since just one member under performing can lead to a wipe. This to me seams a far more intimidating prospect to someone with social anxieties than posting on a forum.

To the OP, you're not really missing much TBH, i've played a Sith Assassin to lvl 50 and the vast majority of the FPs are nothing more than 3 corridors with a boss at the end and a obligatory light/dark side choice thrown in which most of the time boils down to just a "be a dick" vs. "dont be a dick" choice that has no meaningful implications on your ccharacter or the actually FP. If you want to play the FPs relevant to KOTOR just level to 50 and solo Boarding Party and The Foundry on normal.

Edited by Smzel

Your playing an MMO and your talking to us on a thread. You might be shy, we all are, thats why we play MMOs, well me :) But the point of an MMO is to rely, make friends with other people across the world and have fun. Give it ago, you maybe suprised how similar we all are.

Hello,

I'd like to post just to say hello, and you're not the only one with this social anxiety issue. Though formerly in WoW at least I never had issues pugging, or even making raids myself (as opposed to my social issues irl, which were quite bad) now I find myself even getting sweaty hands thinking of whispering someone for doing a group quest or flashpoint together (though my social issues irl have decreased now! :eek:).

Yet in WoW I still raid (or well, raided until last week) hardcore. The only raids or heroics I am willing to do is with a friend, ingame or otherwise, someone I know and who I know 'got my back'. Even then pugging is really scary, unless I heal (interestingly enough, that's the only role I won't feel threatened in). So it's possible to do stuff with other people despite our issues! :D

In SWTOR, we made our WOW guild and the guild currently consists of 6 players (heh), and with them I can play freely and group freely without feeling anxious or nervous. Only one person is someone I know irl (and who happens to be my fiancee). It's quite nice. I even speak freely on vent, imagine.

So from this experience, I suggest that you pluck up the courage and join a guild. With some luck you meet awesome players. Any guild, but the moment you see anyone behaving like a jerk feel free to leave again, because you want to build up good experiences, not bad ones. =) Don't hesitate to say you're shy too, it often makes people more soft and nice towards you.

Alternatively you're welcome to join on our server, the Exiled crystal-EU, and we can talk a bit and while leveling alts maybe we can help each other out and stuff. :) PM me if you're interested!

Good luck!

I know how you feel. The pressure of being relied on in a team has always held me back in MMOs. I feel like it's impossible for me to improve when I'm not given a real chance to begin with.

Luckily this hasn't been a problem for me so far in SWTOR (although I've only had to group about five times so far). I really hope I'm able to handle Operations, because I'd hate to miss out on that level of content.

/rant

You're upset because when you choose not to group with other players, you miss certain aspects of content in a MULTIPLAYER game?

You get a metric shedton of content and story that as a single player you can enjoy. You expected to be able to do EVERYTHING solo? Either you need to suck it up and accept that you can't do everything in a multiplayer game without sometimes grouping, or you need to pick a single player game to play.

Also if your metaphorical piggy bank is only a few dollars, you sure as hell can't responsibly afford a monthly subscription.