Time to remove cc costs for fleet requisition conversion

Alec_Fortescue

It's just unacceptable and extremely alt unfriendly. It's very expensive and puts a lot of people off. It's not like there are enough people playing gsf.

I want to give it a go but extremely long progression and cc costs associated with it really put me off.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

They are really throwing us a bone with this new req gain boost, and converting ship to fleet is really not that useful unless your goal is to collect all of the ships in as short a time as possible. Ship req is what you're after here, and you can upgrade a ship to an alarmingly effective level in a short period of time if you know how to do it. To quote my comrade Sriaka:

"If I'm in a group, I can easily be competitive with 7 GSF matches and the weekly. Assuming you lose all 7 games, if you do the daily every day and get the 2x bonus on your ship, that's roughly:

4x - 1400 for 2x bonus = 5600

3x - 700 for the normal 1x games = 2100

3x - 938 daily = 2814

1x - 3125 weekly

That totals 13,639 requisition or more realistically 15,277 if you do 1 extra game and get the 4th daily. You'll also have enough fleet requisition at this point to get a crew member.

So what can you do with 13,639 requisition?

T1 Bomber Rampart/Razorwire:

http://dulfy.net/2013/11/16/swtor-ga...CAAAACAAHgAgA=

1500 beacon

2500 charged plating to level 1

6000 full deflection armor

1000 seismic mine to level 1

1000 concussion mine to level 1

(1250) fleet to get structural support defense crewman

So with only 12,000 ship req and 1250 fleet req you already have a nearly full meta charged plating Razorwire/Rampart that can DOMINATE as part of a TEAM. Really the only important upgrade missing here is armor penetration on heavy laser cannons, but you are at probably 80% strength compared to a mastered version. This is the best domination support ship. Get a team and go win.

T2 Bomber Legion/Warcarrier

http://dulfy.net/2013/11/16/swtor-ga...EAAgACAAEAAQA=

2000 seeker mines to level 1

3000 railgun drone to level 1

With only 5000 requistion you already have the best TDM support ship. You've still got 10,000 requisition to play with to your heart's content. You will eventually want level 4 seeker mines for the extra speed upgrade, but this ship is about 80% strength compared to the mastered ship. Get a team and go win.

T1 Gunship Mangler/Quarrel:

http://dulfy.net/2013/11/16/swtor-ga...AAAQACAAAAAcA=

3500 barrel roll to level 2

2500 regeneration extender 2

8500 slug railgun to level 3

13,500 requisition and you can be a sniper for your team, with the ability to kill turrets for your teammate T1 Bomber Rampart/Razowire (since he won't have the upgrade for heavy laser cannon armor pen yet). Again, get a team.

You can even req this up at the same time as a T1 Bomber Rampart/Razorwire since you can use your 5000 fleet req intro mission to buy both of these 2500 ships.

T1 Novadive/Blackbolt

http://dulfy.net/2013/11/16/swtor-ga...IAAAAAwAIAAAA=

1000 rocket pod to level 1

3500 barrel roll to level 2

3000 target telemetry to level 1

2000 regular lasers to level 0

1500 distortion field to level 0

2500 lighweight armor to level 2

13,500 requisition for a ship with crazy high DPS and 31% evasion. Scouts take a bit longer to hit their gear ceiling, but this ship is still about 60% as strong as mastered. If you are part of a team, this will do a terrific job at hunting gunships to take pressure off your team, especially your T1 Bomber Rampart/Razorwire (domination)."

Keep in mind that this data doesn't take into account the current requisition bonus, which means you can now do this in HALF the time.

I mean, I am all for any change to GSF which makes it more accessible to everyone, but what you're asking for here is really a non-issue.

lol I've just spent over 20k cc on this to master all ships in every category so i can play with the highest tier in all.

oh do I get to be the first person to post that Skill > Ships? I guess I do!

Having an upgraded ship does make a big difference, but a lot of it is just gravy after a certain point. playing at the highest "tier" is far more about piloting, shooting accuracy, and proper use of skills.

That Said: I've been pretty vocal lately about how a few upgrades make HUGE differences:

Armor Penetration on weapons

Area Damage on Ion Railgun

Missile Break on Disto

After that it's kind of all gravy

Am I shadowbanned or something here? This is pretty much a non-issue.

This discussion would make more sense if it was discussing the viability of requisition as a whole and whether or not components should even have tiers to begin with. No matter how much you reduce the price, people are still going to complain about it, as that's all they have to compare it to. It's not like somebody is going to come in here and argue for a price INCREASE?

lol I've just spent over 20k cc on this to master all ships in every category so i can play with the highest tier in all.

This is absurd and you made a poor choice. This is absolutely not necessary by any stretch of the imagination.

This is absurd and you made a poor choice. This is absolutely not necessary by any stretch of the imagination.

That's the whole point of this post: about no longer having to spend money to convert reqs. Honestly, they should just simplify the whole system and just use one big pool of req currency that can be spent on any ship on that character.

Back before they wildly buffed fleet req tokens, seperately buffed fleet req bonus percent (by like 15%), and started running huge events that double fleet and ship req, this was more of a concern.

These days? Not really so much.

Way back then, we discussed a lot of ideas, all of which were mostly ignored. One was the idea of a daily quest that puts you in a premade ship with fixed components and upgrades, and rewards you with some type of GSF currency. This ship could be worse than a mastered ship but better than a stock ship, etc. Creative stuff like that had no chance of getting added- way too expensive.

Converting ship to fleet is one of the few ways this game monetizes at all. Making it free seems unlikely for that reason. Whether the guy above that claims to have dropped 150ish bucks of CC to fast master a specific ship is telling the truth or not, we know that this DID happen with some players at launch, and that it is pretty rare today, with all that free req going around.

I think the idea is meh. It creates issues with fleet ship req tokens, overrewards players with cartel ships (each one is now a daily source for fleet req), and encourages tunnelling one ship at a time. The GSF currency is ome of the simpler ones by SWTOR standards- you don't have to sit around waiting for an Unassembled Strike Missle Component to drop, walk up to a vendor, turn that in along with ship tokens, then trade it out later once you get more, etc.

If the goal is ease of powering up a ship, then that could be accomplished differently. But currently, fleet req is delivered at triple the launch rate, and ship req more than double. Rewarding players for tunnelling ships and placing cartel ships that they never plan to play on their bars is no fix for this nonexistent problem.

I don't think making it cheaper or free to convert unused ship req to fleet req makes it any easier to level alts.

I'd rather see them make a way (possibly monetized) to take my unused ship and fleet req i have on my fully completed mastered pilot characters to my many alts. I have some ships on my original main pilot with like 100k ship requisition that will never be used, even if it was free to convert it to fleet requisition, which will also never be used.

Unless of course, you can use it to buy iconic Jedi Robes.

Edited by phalczen

Trouble is if you shut off this tiny trickle of revenue, there will be absolutely zero incentive to ever work on GSF again....

- This may have already happened, but don't give the devs yet another excuse to ignore GSF.

"It makes us no money whatsoever since we make this change. It's too niche....So no point in including it on any roadmap....."

I spend most of my CCs on GSF, but only my monthly stipend, since there's precious little else to spend them on after 5 years.....

Yeah what people dont realize is that spending cc on this keeps GSF alive!

Also here is pretty much depends on your "gear" a Tier 3 scout can pretty much rip through anything! Having a mastered ship with the most needed things is a great advantage in the vacuum of space!

u know what? I spent 20 dollar when i first started playing so I could unwrap a skybolt. my exGF deleted my account and now i cant get the skybolt back no matter how many time i complain to customer service. now i have to use the flashfire. its not fair

Yeah what people dont realize is that spending cc on this keeps GSF alive!

Does it?

GSF is alive in the sense that they haven't removed it from the game, and they added some non-GSF rewards for playing... but it is certainly not alive in the traditional sense of 'actively under development.' I find it hard to believe that without the minute amount of money coming from Req Conversion, they would just turn off the lights and power down GSF. It clearly hasn't been enough money (along with their other highly questionable sources of monetization) to fund active development.

I would prefer they monetize GSF by offering things that players actually want to own, rather than squeezing rocks to get tiny dribbles of income from concepts that are basically a burden on players.

It doesn't take THAT much of a budget to get a couple new ship skins or models made every so-often. The cosmetic paintjob textures are easier than ship models, but even those are pretty trivial. Considering that they scavenged the existing Cartel ships from assets already made for the game (yeah that Ocula on Rishi really looks like a scout, doesn't it) I'd bet they could make decent money off of having a new set of original Cartel models without breaking the bank to pay an artist.

- Despon

It doesn't take THAT much of a budget to get a couple new ship skins or models made every so-often. The cosmetic paintjob textures are easier than ship models, but even those are pretty trivial. Considering that they scavenged the existing Cartel ships from assets already made for the game (yeah that Ocula on Rishi really looks like a scout, doesn't it) I'd bet they could make decent money off of having a new set of original Cartel models without breaking the bank to pay an artist.

- Despon

At the very least, the zakuul interceptor could be a Reskin for a type 1 or 3 scout and the koth/Theron shuttle a reskin for the t1 bomber

I guess it's like a lot of companies the world over. There are a lot of little tweaks that benefit the customer out there, but unless there's 10s of 1000s of dollars payback, it doesn't even get considered.

A weeks dev time is probably charged at something like $50 an hour, when you consider their wages and the overheads. if the return is 10K in CM sales for a reskin or a CC/req change. From a purely business point of view the developer is probably better deployed creating a new armour skin or creature mount which might earn 50K or a 100K in CM sales + residuals.

Converting about seven dollars worth of ship-to-fleet is pretty beneficial for a player starting out, who has the goal of mastering all ships sorta quickly. This lets you unlock the ships a whole lot faster, at which point you can pop several days worth of tokens on to them. Converting like over a hundred dollars of ship to fleet allows you to aggressively push upgrades onto a single ship or too.

I suspect the devs intended that you feel like you *should* convert about seven dollars or so, and wanted to leave in the possibility for a whale to just go all out to get upgrades a little bit faster for a lot more cash, but didn't assume many would take them up on that.

In practice, I have no idea how much is spent in this mode. New players often don't understand that they should even pool tokens to begin with, so they will likely spend them as they come in, and be somewhat unlikely to buy new ships until they have a lot of fleet req naturally. Unless you know which ships you want, and what you want them for, why would you spend a real life dollar to unlock a ship that comes with no upgrades in any way, a few days earlier? The fact that this is reasonably affordable player power for a small (to some) cost isn't even made obvious by the game. Veteran pilots don't seem to care about it anyway- if you are rolling an alt, you are probably going to unlock whichever ship or ships you want to earn req with on that character with the fleet req token, and then you will fit into one of two free-to-play camps: either you pop tokens as you get them because that's the only ship you care about on your alt, or you just pool tokens and spend the generous ship req as it happens, not bothering to pop tokens until you naturally unlock everything (or everything you care about).

My point is- as designed, the game sort of wanted you to spend 2-8 dollars per GSF character, to get you started onto a whole hangar, and dangled a dubious carrot about stripping your non-main ships naked for serious money in order to upgrade one main ship, a very rarely chosen path. As CURRENTLY implemented, there's almost no need for this, for new players or veteran players.

Devs have VERY SMARTLY added the grand galactic starfighter pack. I think everyone agrees that it feels fair to have cosmetics available on the cartel market, as that is the model this game uses for everything else already.

But I would also expect them to:

- Add cartel variants of other ships available in the starfighter pack and also for direct purchase.

- Add the ability to LEGACY UNLOCK cartel ships. The legacy unlock could cost hundreds of cartel coins (like 400 is a common amount for that, it could even be more). You would expect that such an unlock would add a 0-req version of the cartel ship to all present and future characters. The lack of this honestly seems like a technical issue, because there's zero interaction with legacy at all currently.

- Add literally any other sort of monetization to the game, or around it, either touching player power not at all, or only a little.

I really think the fact that they haven't touched the game except to fix a few glaring bugs is telling of a lack of focus on GSF, and possibly lack of access to those with familiarity with the code base.