Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tier 1 Strike fighter load out discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Tier 1 Strike fighter load out discussion

Luneward
12.09.2013 , 01:46 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Galtin View Post
I thought the main purpose of ion cannons was to strip away your opponent's shields then you switch over to one of the other primary weapons to do hull damage. What do you mean by using them to stop opponents from getting away and fighting back?
Ion weapons (Ion blasters, ion missles, ion rail) are supposed to also drain weapon and engine power on hit. Unfortunately even the enhanced tooltips don't tell us 'how much', and there's no way to set up a duel with someone to check (or a target dummy) to try to test it out. It is possible the ion blasters don't drain any at all until you get the fourth and fifth tier upgrade, though I suspect they do drain a small amount of power. Nothing compared to an ion railgun hit, but it's still the idea of multiple hits rather than a single hard strike.
Steelwind / Kaillen * The Ebon Hawk

Avanael
12.09.2013 , 01:54 PM | #12
Did u tried it out already? Because if you read the description of ion cannon, it says that it can easily disable enemy systems. Any notices there? Didn't played strike fighter yet.

As for the drain upgrades, drain 4 points doesn't make even sense if you can completely oneshot their shields. If I'm wrong, correct me please.
Souju - Bodyguard Mercenary

Loc_n_lol
12.09.2013 , 02:09 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Avanael View Post
Did u tried it out already? Because if you read the description of ion cannon, it says that it can easily disable enemy systems. Any notices there? Didn't played strike fighter yet.
It's really not clear if and how that works. When you get a few hits with ion cannons your copilot comments something along the lines of "enemy systems disabled". And of course the damage to shields is huge but these things come back quickly and there is a cooldown on primary weapon switching so you can't start hurting their hulls right away...

Oteefo
12.09.2013 , 06:49 PM | #14
Great thread!

I'm trying out this loadout:

Primary Weapon 1: Quad Laser Cannon
Primary Weapon 2: Ion Cannon
Secondary Weapon: Concussion Missiles
Shield: Quick-Charge Shield
Engine: Retro Thrusters
Capacitor: Range Capacitor
Magazine: Regeneration Extender
Reactor: Turbo Reactor
Thrusters: Turning Thrusters
SW:TOR: The K'vos Legacy (Canderous Ordo)
SW:G : Oteefo / Axox / Voosrik / Oov Irfiis (Tempest - Valcyn - Radiant - Flurry)
Xbox: Paddayappa

Sangrar
12.09.2013 , 07:02 PM | #15
I want to get into Strike fighters since I have been doing good on the other two ships what is their best utilization in a typical Domination match?
Click this REFFERAL LINK for free character transfer, free inventory slot, and one week free sub time for preferred and subscribed accounts! You can read more about it HERE

needalight
12.09.2013 , 07:14 PM | #16
Today I was trying out an ion cannon, rapid fire, cluster missle weapons load out, I found it pretty effective.

Quote: Originally Posted by Oteefo View Post
Great thread!

I'm trying out this loadout:

Primary Weapon 1: Quad Laser Cannon
Primary Weapon 2: Ion Cannon
Secondary Weapon: Concussion Missiles
Shield: Quick-Charge Shield
Engine: Retro Thrusters
Capacitor: Range Capacitor
Magazine: Regeneration Extender
Reactor: Turbo Reactor
Thrusters: Turning Thrusters
I've been considering looking into the turning thrusters, would you say they make a noticeable difference?
Captain Needalight Indicafire
Gunslinger Sharpshooter (37/9/0)

<East Indica Company>
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Gavin_Kelvar
12.09.2013 , 07:21 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by needalight View Post
Today I was trying out an ion cannon, rapid fire, cluster missle weapons load out, I found it pretty effective.

I've been considering looking into the turning thrusters, would you say they make a noticeable difference?
I use them and have them fully upgraded. According to ship stats it gives me pitch/yaw ratings just slightly below a default scout. Personally I'm very happy with them and the increased performance.