Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Problems with controls... again...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Problems with controls... again...

Hambunctious
12.08.2013 , 11:19 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
IIRC A-wings had 60 degrees of rotation. The firing arcs in the game aren't that large.
Which would be okay in a lore sense if we were playing in that era, but we aren't.

Even so, for the most part that was up, and down. Some could even rotate past that in a full 360, but still not side to side. Why? Because the guns were mounted on the outside edge of the wingtip.

X-Wings could rotate guns towards the centerline slightly, all in synch, and not individually.

ODST-Parker
12.09.2013 , 01:40 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
A-wings used rotatable guns.
The guns on the A-wing physically turned up and down, and could even turn backwards completely. The guns on these fighters are fixed, and the bolts are literally firing sideways out of the barrels in many cases.
Major Kavikk, Havoc Squad
Agent Sicon, Imperial Intelligence
Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/zVSFgv

Galtin
12.09.2013 , 01:44 PM | #13
I guess this is a "to each his own" type of issue.

I was skeptical of mouse control at first because of how well a joystick worked with X-Wing and Tie Fighter games back when they came out. With a week of pretty much non-stop GSF matches, I have adapted to mouse control and have no problems with it anymore. If joystick support is added in the future, I doubt I would switch over at this point.

ODST-Parker
12.09.2013 , 01:49 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
and how does that make WSAD "sensible" and the current scheme unsensible? Sounds like you got used to another game's controls and are having a hard time adjusting. Change is hard.
It's more sensible because that is how a real fighter would operate. You wouldn't be able to choose the direction that your guns are firing, you would be firing at a fixed point directly in front of you. Even the most advanced fighter in the Rebel fleet at the time of the war against the empire, the A-wing, was barely able to move its guns up and down to fire at different angles, and this is significantly before that technology was developed.

More importantly, having to split my attention between turning and firing accurately is simply infuriating, especially when I'm trying to hit an enemy and since my reticle is not in the center of the screen, I'm also turning, which throws off my aim completely.

ODST-Parker
12.09.2013 , 01:51 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Galtin View Post
I guess this is a "to each his own" type of issue.

I was skeptical of mouse control at first because of how well a joystick worked with X-Wing and Tie Fighter games back when they came out. With a week of pretty much non-stop GSF matches, I have adapted to mouse control and have no problems with it anymore. If joystick support is added in the future, I doubt I would switch over at this point.
To each his own is exactly right, which is why I'm only suggesting that this option be ADDED, not that it should replace the current setup. I know that a lot of people like the new controls, but old time flight simulator players like me have a hard time with anything other than using the keyboard or a joystick.

silvershadows
12.09.2013 , 07:56 PM | #16
just fyi - I know someone who uses an Xbox 360 controller for GSF - so if you can figure it out - the option is open to you
Avatia
Deception Assassin
<Tave Naefas Lazea>
A Sith endures.

ODST-Parker
12.09.2013 , 09:24 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by silvershadows View Post
just fyi - I know someone who uses an Xbox 360 controller for GSF - so if you can figure it out - the option is open to you
I'll certainly look into that. Thanks for the information.