Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I really loved space combat for the first day....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
I really loved space combat for the first day....

Thonias
12.07.2013 , 03:33 PM | #1
Now it's just broken. I've never seen pvp broken this badly in all my mmo's since UO. Insta die to people you can't outrun, can't shake, can't target cause they turn faster than you.

Strike fighter, don't even think about trying one, geared scouts will fly circles around you.

I really enjoyed it, now I won't bother with it again till there are some patch notes fixing all the problems.

Icebergy
12.07.2013 , 03:43 PM | #2
PEBCAK issue, don't blame the game.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

zechio
12.07.2013 , 03:53 PM | #3
As a decently geared scout, I can tell you I am still plenty squishy. I die a fair bit, to all 3 fighters in fact.

Yes, if a scout gets behind you you are in trouble. Get to a satellites turrets, your friends or your capital ship ( they have massive range insta kill guns to prevent maxed range gunships from spawn camping. ) If you cant get to any of these fast enough, yes you are dead. That has nothing to do with upgrades, its by design. The scout is the interceptor and that is its entire purpose in life.

Now, if you get a missile off on a scout they are either dead, or will be running very far and.licking their wounds...while you go.back to killing their friends.
Dark Lord Zemerick, Leader of Imperium Inferi, and destroyer of hope.

Remember the cookie!

Lymain
12.07.2013 , 04:11 PM | #4
I love how everyone is claiming different things are overpowered. The devs responsible for balancing GSF must really be getting a kick out of it.

Atamasama
12.07.2013 , 04:22 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Lymain View Post
I love how everyone is claiming different things are overpowered. The devs responsible for balancing GSF must really be getting a kick out of it.
Agreed, it's a testament to what a good job they did with ship class balance.
⋐‖║╿╿╿╿▀▀‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾)

Telos
12.07.2013 , 04:48 PM | #6
why won't stuff hold still so I can shoot it?

why does stuff keep trying to shoot me?
SOONERS

Tenacity
12.07.2013 , 05:44 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Telos View Post
why won't stuff hold still so I can shoot it?

why does stuff keep trying to shoot me?
Hold still so I can shoot you! =P

Nah, overall i think the GSF combat is balanced very well. The only thing that bugs me is how clumsy ship manuvering is in cramped spaces - particularly around satellites or capture points where you cant move ten feet without hitting a wall or something. The camera and controls dont really promote proper combat at close range.
--- Lynx - Powertech Mercenary - Rashkah
Telbasta - Sniper - Operative - Maihos
Leonin - Gunslinger - Scoundrel - Arshia ---
-- Pakhet - Sorceror - Juggernaut - Sorthak

Yorumi
12.07.2013 , 06:13 PM | #8
The biggest problem I'm seeing in matches is everyone is trying to play solo, and the team with even a tiny bit of teamwork is dominating the other. Going 1v1 is a waste of time and there's a reason real pilots fly in squadrons with wingmen. If more people paid attention to what their team is doing instead of going for the highest kill count they'd win more.

Tenacity
12.07.2013 , 06:24 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Yorumi View Post
The biggest problem I'm seeing in matches is everyone is trying to play solo, and the team with even a tiny bit of teamwork is dominating the other. Going 1v1 is a waste of time and there's a reason real pilots fly in squadrons with wingmen. If more people paid attention to what their team is doing instead of going for the highest kill count they'd win more.
Agreed, unfortunately I cant seem to find a group of players willing to queue up in a team and work together. Even my guild members never want to group for GSF.

I always try to support other pilots on my team, and it usually makes all the difference between winning or losing - whether it be a capture point or the match as a whole.
--- Lynx - Powertech Mercenary - Rashkah
Telbasta - Sniper - Operative - Maihos
Leonin - Gunslinger - Scoundrel - Arshia ---
-- Pakhet - Sorceror - Juggernaut - Sorthak

GalacticKegger
12.07.2013 , 06:32 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lymain View Post
That's a no sh***er. I absolutely sucked with a gunship. Then a couple of guildies queued with me: one had a strike for ranged cover and the other a scout for close cover. We tore it up.

What I learned is that top gun level gameplay with GSF requires direct squadron communication. The players that are grouping in Vent, TS or mumble will (barring miraculous piloting by an enemy) always win out because they can vocally coordinate in real time.

This is not a bad thing unless one doesn't have access to other players' voice comms. Which leads me to my primary point ... I think GSF would benefit greatly from the addition of a built-in voice comm system. Doesn't even need to be FD/HD ... can be a simple 8-bit mono. Just something everyone can use to level that playing field.
Can we please just have our pre-KotFE SWTOR MMORPG back?