Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Improving the New Player Experience in GSF

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Improving the New Player Experience in GSF

Eztro
01.23.2016 , 08:57 PM | #11
Or you could have a tier system that lets new pilots fly against new pilots? Have "levels" based on how much ship req you have earned and/or ships you have purchased?

The absolute worst part of GSF is coming in new and getting one shot by fully upgraded ships. You know as soon as you load in and see a fleet of gunships coming at you that all you are going to be doing all match is counting your deaths.

There are a lot of ways to make GSF fun to play, but until you address the huge learning curve and allow new pilots time to mature, you will be stuck with the same long queues, blowout v. nil turkey shoots, GS standoffs that put you to sleep and/or afk conquest farmers that don't care about the outcomes anyway.
*No Bothans were harmed to bring you this information*

Danalon
01.23.2016 , 09:23 PM | #12
There is a matchmaking system that tries to find pilots of equal equipment. It checks how close to mastered the best ship on the bar is and how many games a character has played. However, the system doesn't wait forever until enough players with roughly equal equipment are listed and just starts a game. The system seems to work, as sometimes players with a lot of games played are skipped multiple times while others get a pop. Those pilots counter this effect by listing with a group, because the system prioritises premades.

There are simply not enough pilots to make the matchmaking system work as it should.

New players can only hope for mercy of the better players in unbalanced games. It's not possible to tell others how to play the game, so it's the decision of the better players if they want to play serious against beginners or not.

Eztro
01.23.2016 , 11:59 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Danalon View Post
There is a matchmaking system that tries to find pilots of equal equipment. It checks how close to mastered the best ship on the bar is and how many games a character has played. However, the system doesn't wait forever until enough players with roughly equal equipment are listed and just starts a game. The system seems to work, as sometimes players with a lot of games played are skipped multiple times while others get a pop. Those pilots counter this effect by listing with a group, because the system prioritises premades.

There are simply not enough pilots to make the matchmaking system work as it should.

New players can only hope for mercy of the better players in unbalanced games. It's not possible to tell others how to play the game, so it's the decision of the better players if they want to play serious against beginners or not.

I think you made my point.
*No Bothans were harmed to bring you this information*

Kinsha
01.24.2016 , 01:47 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Eztro View Post
Or you could have a tier system that lets new pilots fly against new pilots? Have "levels" based on how much ship req you have earned and/or ships you have purchased?

The absolute worst part of GSF is coming in new and getting one shot by fully upgraded ships. You know as soon as you load in and see a fleet of gunships coming at you that all you are going to be doing all match is counting your deaths.

There are a lot of ways to make GSF fun to play, but until you address the huge learning curve and allow new pilots time to mature, you will be stuck with the same long queues, blowout v. nil turkey shoots, GS standoffs that put you to sleep and/or afk conquest farmers that don't care about the outcomes anyway.
As danalon said there is already a system in place that tries to do that, but it prioritizes getting a game going as soon as possible. Maybe if the system kept players with under 30 games from being thrown against mastered ships or something similar? If the matchmaker didn't put mastered ships against newbies ever, you'd run the risk of regular players quitting due to long ques. I believe mechwarrior online tried a matchmaking system which stopped vets from playing against newbies and it just ended up with a player base loss as the vets just left and the newer players still didn't stick around.

Telsnow
01.24.2016 , 08:39 AM | #15
The GSF population is too small to divide up now. Yes, the learning curve is steep and it's not going anywhere, but there's things Bioware needs to do to make GSF more accessible and get more people doing it regularly. All four ship types need to be available from the start. You shouldn't have to buy a bomber just to test out flying the damn thing to see if you like it. You shouldn't have to pay for new components because the ones Bioware stuck you with are garbage. And there should be a tutorial that is effective.

It also shouldn't cost tens of thousands of ship req to max out a ship. Maxing out a ship should take about as much time as getting a full set of ground PvP gear. Skill will always trump gear so why not make it take less time to max out a ship? The motivation to do GSF should come from a desire to get better at it instead of getting farmed enough so one day you can master a ship and farm the new players just like you were farmed. GSF in its current state is too grindy, too inaccessible, and too unforgiving to new players. And before we get anymore content for GSF, Bioware needs to correct these glaring issues.

DomiSotto
01.24.2016 , 09:07 AM | #16
Quote:
Subscribers have their faction's main gunship unlocked by default along with the strike fighter and scout, so they were trying to incentivize people to subscribe.
I am a subscriber and I did not have the gunship unlocked on either Pub or Imp. I just got a scout and a strike. Also, no matter which ship I select before entering the tutorial, I still end up on the tutorial ship. Which is a bit silly. Learn by doing is all great, but just having a tiny-tiny chance to do dummy practice would have been nice.
Deal.

Greezt
01.24.2016 , 09:26 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
I am a subscriber and I did not have the gunship unlocked on either Pub or Imp. I just got a scout and a strike. Also, no matter which ship I select before entering the tutorial, I still end up on the tutorial ship. Which is a bit silly. Learn by doing is all great, but just having a tiny-tiny chance to do dummy practice would have been nice.
Subscribers back when the game launched get a Mangler/Quarrel. The rest of us have to buy them. It's not too bad, but it would be much better to get a ship of each type, agreed.

The tutorial is dumb, but if you can get used to flying that ship (a flashfire, I think) it'll help you get a feel for the general game, and especially scouts.

Danalon
01.24.2016 , 09:28 AM | #18
The T1 Gunship given to people who had an active subscription on 01 NOV 2013, a month before launch.